Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F)

Old April 5th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Vanini

Default Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F)

I have a Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F) and, some time ago, marks looking
exactly like moisture trails (I'm sure that's what they are) appeared all
over the inside of the glass.

I can't find a way of removing the glass, so that I can wipe the underside
clean, without risking breaking the plastic casing.

It was just outside the warranty period (isn't it always!) and Canon wanted
to charge me almost the same price as the cost of a new one.

This 'misting' affects everything I scan in but is worse for photographs
where they produce dull, flat areas, which I can't find a way of removing.

Does anyone know of how I might get inside the scanner to clean the glass,
please?

Regards

John

Old April 5th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

John Vanini wrote:
I have a Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F) and, some time ago, marks looking
exactly like moisture trails (I'm sure that's what they are) appeared all
over the inside of the glass.

I can't find a way of removing the glass, so that I can wipe the underside
clean, without risking breaking the plastic casing.

It was just outside the warranty period (isn't it always!) and Canon wanted
to charge me almost the same price as the cost of a new one.

This 'misting' affects everything I scan in but is worse for photographs
where they produce dull, flat areas, which I can't find a way of removing.

Does anyone know of how I might get inside the scanner to clean the glass,
please?

Regards

John

You might try putting the scanner in a cardboard box with a pound of
Silica Gel. Seal the box and let it stay for a day or two.

You can buy Silica gel at the pet shop as Cat Litter.
It is marketed as Litter Pearls, ExquisiCat Crystals, and TidyCat
Crystals. Scatter the silica gel on the bottom of the box to increase
the surface area for adsorption.
Bob Williams
Old April 5th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Vanini

"Bob Williams" wrote in message
You might try putting the scanner in a cardboard box with a pound of
Silica Gel. Seal the box and let it stay for a day or two.

You can buy Silica gel at the pet shop as Cat Litter.
It is marketed as Litter Pearls, ExquisiCat Crystals, and TidyCat
Crystals. Scatter the silica gel on the bottom of the box to increase the
surface area for adsorption.
Bob Williams

Thanks Bob, believe it or not, I never thought of that and it's the most
obvious solution!

Thanks! Just after I sent this post I realised it was, really, to the wrong
group - but it appears I was wrong.

Thanks again Bob, thanks very much - I shall certainly try that!

Regards,

John

Old April 5th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_5_]

wrote in message

But doesn't this assume it's simple moisture and not a more viscous
lubricant which might be a more reasonable assumption? I cant see how
moisture would cause this in conditioned living space. Of course I could
be
wrong.

Also, using the scanner, repeatedly, should dry it, if it's water vapour,
given the heat of the lamp.

Old April 6th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Apr 5, 1:38*pm, "John Vanini" wrote:
I have a Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F) and, some time ago, marks looking
exactly like moisture trails (I'm sure that's what they are) appeared all
over the inside of the glass.

I can't find a way of removing the glass, so that I can wipe the underside
clean, without risking breaking the plastic casing.

It was just outside the warranty period (isn't it always!) and Canon wanted
to charge me almost the same price as the cost of a new one.

This 'misting' affects everything I scan in but is worse for photographs
where they produce dull, flat areas, which I can't find a way of removing.

Does anyone know of how I might get inside the scanner to clean the glass,
please?

Regards

John

Sorry to differ from the other replies, but my bet is that it is
either 'out-gassing' from the plastics or lubricants used in the
scanner (or perhaps something in your own environment, or possibly
even a bug of some kind. I've had a similar problem that turned out
to be a small caterpillar leaving trails across the glass, presumably
from a household moth..

By all means try the other method, but I think you will need to get
the scanner apart. Look carefully for screw covers, or they may be
under labels, then look for small slots along the joins, and gently
flex the case looking for areas that might hide hidden clips that
might be sprung via a flat bladed knife or similar. Also check
carefully around the glass itself - that may be the way in... If you
have a computer/camera fixit place nearby, why not just go ask them?
Those folks generally know the sort of assembly tricks used and may be
able to do the task quite cheaply.
Old April 6th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Vanini

Thanks everybody,

I'll look into all the suggestions but it's obviously easier to try the
silica gel route first.

I did put the scanner in a warm, dry cupboard for a day and that made no
difference so moisture didn't seem likely, however,I couldn't see what else
it could be.

I've tried to open the case but can't see anyway of doing so. There are no
signs of screws or even labels under which screws might be hidden, as you
suggest Mark, but I'll have another good root around to check.

I rang Canon, at least a couple of times, with exactly that in mind - to ask
them how to get into the case but they either couldn't or wouldn't tell me.
I was hoping that they might be able to tell me what the 'trails' might be
but, again, either couldn't or wouldn't.

They said I might damage the interior electronic card (or words to that
effect) and it was best to return the whole unit for servicing, but, to do
so, would have cost me almost as much as a new scanner - and I would have
had to pay carriage charge and insurance both ways.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help and advice. All check into all of
them.

Regards,

John

Old April 6th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"John Vanini" wrote:

I have a Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F) and, some time ago, marks looking
exactly like moisture trails (I'm sure that's what they are) appeared all
over the inside of the glass.

I can't find a way of removing the glass, so that I can wipe the underside
clean, without risking breaking the plastic casing.

It was just outside the warranty period (isn't it always!) and Canon wanted
to charge me almost the same price as the cost of a new one.

This 'misting' affects everything I scan in but is worse for photographs
where they produce dull, flat areas, which I can't find a way of removing.

Does anyone know of how I might get inside the scanner to clean the glass,
please?

Regards

John

You could try turning it upside down and flushing a lot of distilled
water though it. Just don't wet the optics or, even worse, a greased
part. Once the glass is very clean you should be able to gently roll a
large bead of water across the glass so that no drops are left behind.
Use this trick as a final wash even if you do get the case open. A
paper towel's dust and residue will make a total mess of the optics.

A lot of small electronics has screws hidden under the label or under
the rubber feet. You can poke them with a needle to see if there's a
hollow space behind them.

--
Block Google's spam and enjoy Usenet again.
Reply with Google and I won't hear from you.
Old April 7th 08, 11:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D Moore

snip

This problem is very common, particularly with Epson scanners. I've had new
scanners from Epson delivered like this. The problem is condensation forming
under the glass. It won't disappear over time, it will get worse. It is made
worse if the scanner is left in a moist atmosphere The effect is the same as
on a bathroom window. If you leave a windowpane uncleaned in a bathroom it
will start to look exactly the same as your scanner over a period of time.
It's the tiny particles of dust/dirt/grease etc that stick the surface when
the steam is formed and condenses on the glass. It's the same with a
scanner; particles are left on the glass. It is very difficult to remove
without taking the scanner apart and cleaning the glass. I doubt that using
silica gel will remove it. But please do let us know it works.

Every Epson scanner I've owned has developed this problem over time. Someone
once suggested that with Epson its the plasticizers in the plastic that gass
off. This may explain why Epsons seem to be particulary affected
..Fortunately, someone posted disassembly instructions for Epson scanners on
one of the scanner newsgroups a few years ago. I suggest you actually post
to one of the scanner groups in case someone knows how to take a Canon
apart.

pdm

Old April 7th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Vanini

"Paul D Moore" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Paul, I understand what you're saying and will see what I can find
out about disassembling this one. When I rang Epson, I asked if someone in
their service department could tell me how to get the glass out without
breaking anything, but they only wanted to discuss sending it back for
repair.

Strangely enough, I posted to this group by accident so then posted the same
question to a scanner newsgroup but got only one reply from them!

I'll have a look to see what other scanner groups there are but I've had a
lot of good ideas and suggestions from this group (for which I again, thank
everyone) so am pleased I made the error in the first place.

Regards

John