Flood of spam

Old March 12th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Flood of spam

It seems that there currently are more spam posts that normal on-topic
posts.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 12th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:28:36 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:
It seems that there currently are more spam posts that normal on-topic
posts.

Only for those not using a decent newsserver and not using a client-side
newsreader that offers good filtering options.

Old March 12th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Mar 12, 9:54 am, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:28:36 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:
It seems that there currently are more spam posts that normal on-topic
posts.

Only for those not using a decent newsserver and not using a client-side
newsreader that offers good filtering options.

I can't even USE a newsreader. My ISP is dropping Usenet support and I
have to use the Google Groups interface. It seems Usenet is dying,
and this spam tidal wave will be one of the things hastening its
demise. Other web based discussion groups require joining groups to
post. So does GG, but of course you don't need to use a web interface
to post Usenet messages. That is a downside of Usenet :-(
Old March 12th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GregS[_3_]

In article , Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
On Mar 12, 9:54 am, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:28:36 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:
It seems that there currently are more spam posts that normal on-topic
posts.

Only for those not using a decent newsserver and not using a client-side
newsreader that offers good filtering options.

I can't even USE a newsreader. My ISP is dropping Usenet support and I
have to use the Google Groups interface. It seems Usenet is dying,
and this spam tidal wave will be one of the things hastening its
demise. Other web based discussion groups require joining groups to
post. So does GG, but of course you don't need to use a web interface
to post Usenet messages. That is a downside of Usenet :-(

Funny I don't have Usenet set up at home. You can certainly use other options.
You might have to pay for it. Today web forums are widely used, but
they are HORRIBLE for looking up other stuff other than subjects on the forum.
I have yet to have Usenet Spam a real problem. I got way too many logons and
passwords to contend with. Usenet is wonderfull. I use GG all the time, and
its real nice to reply using GG instead of dragging out the regular
newsreader, if your doing searches. It started a long time ago that providers
stopped using their own Usenet servers and went to third parties. Its all
about money.

greg
Old March 12th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:28:39 -0700 (PDT), Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
On Mar 12, 9:54 am, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:28:36 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:
It seems that there currently are more spam posts that normal on-topic
posts.

Only for those not using a decent newsserver and not using a client-side
newsreader that offers good filtering options.

I can't even USE a newsreader. My ISP is dropping Usenet support and I
have to use the Google Groups interface.

Hogwash. For 10 EU per year -- less than 2 bucks a month -- you can
sign up with news.individual.net ( http://individual.net/ ) and get
access to a fairly well filtered usenet. Then, use slrn as your client
newsreader and set up additional filtering according to your own likes
and dislikes.

I've been doing just that for almost a decade now -- across 4 different
ISP's. I found usenet service through an ISP -- if available at all --
to be sloppy and haphazard at best. Twenty years ago it was a different
story. But, now-a-days, the usenet feed (for the newsserver) must be
like drinking from a fire hose. The average ISP either does not have
the skills (they are simply win-droids and understand little except the
cartoon interfaces foisted by Redmond) or the time (they are net and
*nix savvy, but have to deal with hoards of win-luser's 'problems'.)

No doubt many lazy ISP's push their unknowing/little knowing customers
on to Google's wretched excuse for usenet access.

Individual.net does just one thing: usenet. And, they do it damn well.

There are others.
Google (search) is your friend.
Google (usenet), however, is an abomination.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm
Old March 12th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jufi[_3_]

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
It seems that there currently are more spam posts that normal on-topic
posts.

Try this: set a filter that deletes all posts with "gmail" in the "from"
field. Dumps about 99% of that trash.

I agree, it's discouraging to have to wade through a thousand posts for
replica watches, etc. Truly a problem for usenet.

Old March 12th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike O'Sullivan

Jufi wrote:

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
It seems that there currently are more spam posts that normal on-topic
posts.

Try this: set a filter that deletes all posts with "gmail" in the "from"
field. Dumps about 99% of that trash.

Useful tip. Ive now done that.
Old March 12th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Jufi says...

Try this: set a filter that deletes all posts with "gmail" in the "from"
field. Dumps about 99% of that trash.

I'm not so sure. Besides there are legitimate posters who use gmail
addresses.

Will use the filter approach. I've set up Gravity to discard articles
with the word "replica" in the subject.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 12th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris W

Jufi wrote:

Try this: set a filter that deletes all posts with "gmail" in the "from"
field. Dumps about 99% of that trash.

I agree, it's discouraging to have to wade through a thousand posts for
replica watches, etc. Truly a problem for usenet.

It's not nearly as bad for "all" of usenet. This group has several
orders of magnitude more spam than the other groups I read. Makes me
wonder why they come here so much.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Ham Radio Repeater Database.
http://hrrdb.com