Frugal RAW

Old January 22nd 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
limehand

Default Frugal RAW

Hello all...

I am wondering if I might get some guidance from an expert hereabouts
on what path I should take in my digital imaging journey...?

I am convinced I need a digital camera. It took a while but here I am.

I have done some research and have concluded that I need RAW format and
for travelling and convenience means I need a non SLR camera.
I have discovered that Panasonic LUMIX cameras with the "Leica" lens
seem to be all things considered where I should choose from and have
come down to the choice between a DMC-LX1 or the newer DMC-LX2.

I understand the LX2 comes with "Silky Pics" software which I am told
will work with my Mac OS (9.2.2) and that I will need something else
with the LX1 ...I have Photoshop 6 and Graphicconverter but dont know
if they will open RAW as yet ...That Iam thinking is Panasonic RAW? Any
advice on this would be welcome

I am wondering if there are any differences in the quality of the CCD
capture of either camera eg do they both create an identical RAW file
under the same circumstances ? And if I got the LX1 could I use
Silkypics to open the RAW file from the LX1? (assuming I can Silkypics
separately. )

Any advice would be welcome ...

Thankyou very much for your time so far...

Michael Lough

PS if my questions have already been answered perhaps someone could
point me in the right direction?

Old January 22nd 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"limehand" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have discovered that Panasonic LUMIX cameras with the "Leica" lens
seem to be all things considered where I should choose from and have
come down to the choice between a DMC-LX1 or the newer DMC-LX2.

Be sure to look at some photo samples. I was attracted to the long focal
lengths on the Panasonic models but many said the image quality was not up
to snuff. Of course, comparing to a DSLR.....

Old January 22nd 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"limehand" writes:
I have done some research and have concluded that I need RAW format and

What makes you think that?
Old January 22nd 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
"limehand" writes:
I have done some research and have concluded that I need RAW format and

What makes you think that?

If he's like me he likes being able to fix photos he'd otherwise toss. That
said, while Canon's DPP is great when the exposure is near spot on the
exposure latitude I get from Adobe Camera RAW, specifically the highlight
recovery is amazing. I shoot everything +2/3 stop and pull it back in ACR.
Shooting sports and other fast moving editorial work this works best for me.

Old January 22nd 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:18:51 -0800, limehand wrote:

[...]

I appreciate that you've done the research, but I'm not sure I would
really class that as 'frugal'. I recently bought a Kodak P850 refurbished
from the Kodak online store for $250. It has IS, a 12x zoom, saves jpg,
tiff and raw. Quite pleased with it.

I'm also wondering why it was that you decided you 'need' raw. You might
be well served buying a less expensive model first to get your feet wet.

Old January 22nd 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Justin C

On 2007-01-22, limehand wrote:

I understand the LX2 comes with "Silky Pics" software which I am told
will work with my Mac OS (9.2.2) and that I will need something else
with the LX1 ...I have Photoshop 6 and Graphicconverter but dont know
if they will open RAW as yet ...That Iam thinking is Panasonic RAW? Any
advice on this would be welcome

I would expect the RAW format to be the same as that of the Leica
Digilux range. PhotoShop CS opens that with no trouble - I don't know
what version PhotoShop is up to outside CS so I don't know if that is
what you already have.

Justin.

--
Justin C by the sea.