Too bad......Looks like spam has killed this group

Old April 17th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim[_13_]

Default Too bad......Looks like spam has killed this group

Old April 17th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor[_4_]

Where did you see that?
Old April 17th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
alan holmes

"Jim" wrote in message

Why?

Old April 18th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
lobo

"Jim" wrote in message

Not if you filter the posts........

Old April 18th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G[_2_]

"Jim" wrote in message

Spam, what Spam??

Oh!

That Chinese crap about copies of other things I don't want.

I hardly ever get to see any of it, it gets dumped into cyber space by my
filters.

They really need to be pretty stupid to believe people might actually read
any of it. And I don't care how much of their time they spend sending it
out.

Roy G

Old April 18th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie

There's no spam if you filter Google Groups.

--
Block Google's spam and enjoy Usenet again.
Reply with Google and I won't hear from you.
Old April 18th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

There's no spam if you filter Google Groups.

Some people seem to be hard of...er...seeing, regarding that good advice.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old April 18th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Meghan Noecker

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:24:10 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

There's no spam if you filter Google Groups.

I filter google email addresses as well as several other domain names.
But I don't google posts that come via google since there are valid
reasons to post from there. Mostly getting rid of fake and anonymous
email
Old April 19th 08, 11:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Meghan Noecker

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:27:41 -0700 (PDT), Don Stauffer in Minnesota
wrote:

On Apr 17, 1:16 pm, Jim wrote:

It is not just this group. I am afraid this spam stuff is killing MOST
newsgroups.

I have a number of friends who no longer use Newsgroups anyway- they
have gone to web based forums. I know others who only switched
recently because of the spam. I am now the only one of my face-to-face
circle of acquaintances who still uses newsgroups. I fear Usenet is
dying, and this spam problem is driving many nails into the coffin.

I agree that spam has really hurt thge newsgroups, but I think there
is more to it than that.

With other options available, sometimes usenet doesn't seem the best
option anymore. I tend to participate more in mailing lists that are
more specific than the newsgroups. For example, I am on a photography
list that discusses photography and business issues for canine
photography which is very appropriate for my business of photographing
cats, dogs, and horses. I also joined a mailing list for my model of
camera. It is a quiet group, but the questions and discussions relate
to the features of my camera, how to do things, and the issues that
may come up such as a particular error message. I tend to ask a
question there before coming to a general group on photography or a
general group for digital cameras.

I used to participate in marketplace groups for camera equipment, but
ebay is much better for that now. And the local craigslist website has
replaced my usage of the local marketplace group which died out
because craigslist was better.

I still come to usenet to search the archives for specific
information, and I participate when I have some time. But I don't find
as much information here as it tends to be more general in nature, and
also it is quieter here than it used to be.

Old April 19th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Don Stauffer in Minnesota says...

It is not just this group. I am afraid this spam stuff is killing MOST
newsgroups.

Would it be an option to sue Google for providing this uncontrolled
access to spammers? They seem to do nothing about it.

And by the way, I'm filtering out Google Groups posts (if they are not
replies to other posts). Before I saw 120 new r.p.d. posts on the
Supernews server - only 12 survived the spam filter!
--

Alfred Molon