DAMN YOU, GOOGLE!

Old April 4th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default DAMN YOU, GOOGLE!

Steve wrote:
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 02:46:50 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
m II wrote:

I've been forwarding all of the Chinese garbage to

If everyone here and everywhere else started doing it, the idiots at
Google may get the message.
Wouldn't happen -- your complaints don't cut into their profits.

I wouldn't mind if the stupid spam were restricted to Google Users, but
the regular NNTP servers get the same garbage.

This group is getting unusable and my filter isn't too easy to adapt.
You *can't* filter them with TB. You can filter them this way:

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

Strange, I am filtering them with TB. Yes, I have to add something just
about every day, but it DOES work.

Having to add something just about every day isn't my definition of
working *well*. Take a look at the link above. I've been using
NewProxy for a weeks now and haven't had to add anything beyond the
first day when I filtered Message-Id's containing googlegroups. No
spam since.

Steev

Unfortunately, Googlegroups is NOT the only source of spam. I blocked
that easily the first time it appeared. Currently, the incidence of
spam from China is about to convince me to insist to my
congress-critters, that they make it clear that 'cyber-war' is a
sufficient cause to abrogate the 'most favored nation' trade status,
with the penalties that implies. Google is just an irritation, the
Chinese spam, and outright attacks from many sites, is far from 'just an
irritation', it is an attack.
Old April 4th 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Bruce W. Ellis wrote:

wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
m II wrote:

[...]

Note that he's not really filtering on the Message-ID header. His TB will
no more filter on that header than your Free Agent will; he'd need a
solution like you're using -- a local server/proxy to pre-chew groups for
his client.

Since I started using NewsProxy, the spam has disappeared. Give it a
try.

Yes, and who has control of just WHAT is defined as spam? If YOU don't
have control of it, then you don't know just what ELSE you might not be
seeing, now do you? Thanks, but I will do my own driving....
Old April 4th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Blinky the Shark wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
m II wrote:

I've been forwarding all of the Chinese garbage to

If everyone here and everywhere else started doing it, the idiots at
Google may get the message.
Wouldn't happen -- your complaints don't cut into their profits.

I wouldn't mind if the stupid spam were restricted to Google Users, but
the regular NNTP servers get the same garbage.

This group is getting unusable and my filter isn't too easy to adapt.
You *can't* filter them with TB. You can filter them this way:

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

Strange, I am filtering them with TB. Yes, I have to add something just
about every day, but it DOES work.

No, you're *not* filtering GG posts via the Message-ID header. TB cannot
do that. You're using some other filtering, and that's *why* you have to
keep tweaking it instead of just sitting back letting a true GG filter do
its work. Even if you managed to plug in what *looks* like a Message-ID
rule for TB, TB is ignoring it -- it will *not* actually filter on that
header.

One filter ended the Google groups spam. Perhaps you don't know how to
use the filters in TB properly. I should mention that I have been using
them since they first were included in the program, and have become
quite good at defining them properly to get the result I want, limited
though they are.
Old April 4th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve[_12_]

wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
m II wrote:

[...]

You should really try NewsProxy or something similar to filter by
Message-ID. If you did that you'd see that googlegroups really is the
only source of spam. I've not had a single China spam, or any other
kind that I've noticed, in at least the past week. The only time I
see it at all is when someone else responds to it and quotes the spam.

Steve
Old April 4th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Ron Hunter wrote:
Unfortunately, Googlegroups is NOT the only source of spam. I blocked
that easily the first time it appeared. Currently, the incidence of
spam from China[...]
Google is just an irritation, the
Chinese spam, and outright attacks from many sites, is far from 'just an
irritation', it is an attack.

I suggest you check where all that "chinese spam" actually originates
from. You may be surprised that _VIRTUALLY ALL_ of it is posted via
GoogleGroups. This is trivially proven by e.g.
- the Message-ID suffix:
- the Organization: http://groups.google.com
- the User-Agent: G2/1.0
- the Path:
.....postnews.google.com!e10g2000prf.googlegroups. com!not-for-mail
and several other header fields.

Yes, there are a few spammers who use other news providers. But their
number is absolutely tiny compared to the flood coming from
GoogleGroups.

If you actually had blocked GoogleGroups, then you would see virtually
no spam at all. In particular all the chinese garbage would be filtered
out.
I think instead you are probably filtering on "gmail" accounts in the
From header. Those are easily faked. But more important they have
nothing to do with GoogleGroups except that both services are run by the
same company.
It's like not buying Canon cameras because a Canon photocopier ate your
term paper.

jue
Old April 4th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
m II wrote:

I've been forwarding all of the Chinese garbage to

Now that is a big mistake.  You need to forward all of the chinese garbage to the Olympic committee

Old April 4th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
m II wrote:

[...]