Flood of spam

Old March 13th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Bartram

Default Flood of spam

"Chris W" wrote

It's not nearly as bad for "all" of usenet. This group has several orders
of magnitude more spam than the other groups I read. Makes me wonder why
they come here so much.

Because people react to it, even if only in jest. I'm as guilty of this as
anyone!

Paul

Old March 13th 08, 07:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
On Mar 12, 9:54 am, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:28:36 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:
It seems that there currently are more spam posts that normal on-topic
posts.

Only for those not using a decent newsserver and not using a client-side
newsreader that offers good filtering options.

I can't even USE a newsreader. My ISP is dropping Usenet support and I
have to use the Google Groups interface. It seems Usenet is dying,
and this spam tidal wave will be one of the things hastening its
demise. Other web based discussion groups require joining groups to
post. So does GG, but of course you don't need to use a web interface
to post Usenet messages. That is a downside of Usenet :-(

You can simply subscribe to a service like Giganews. Believe me, USENET
is NOT dead, and I would rather give up on USENET than have to suffer
through Google Groups.
Old March 13th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:48:34 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

Wanna update your link to me at jonz.net? Last August, the Project got
its own domain and site. See my sig. And thanks for your link and the
compliment on your page.

Done.
I apologize if I failed to update it after any previous request by you.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm
Old March 13th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:48:34 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

Wanna update your link to me at jonz.net? Last August, the Project got
its own domain and site. See my sig. And thanks for your link and the
compliment on your page.

Done.
I apologize if I failed to update it after any previous request by you.

Thanks, and no prob at all -- I'd not requested before.

The old link to blinkynet does redirect, but what the heck.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old March 14th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Spamm Trappe

[ Top Posting corrected ]

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:35:09 -0700, PossumTrot wrote:
"Alfred Molon" wrote:

It seems that there currently are more spam posts that normal on-topic
posts.

It doesn't help to complain unless you are also reporting every one to
google.

One of the symptoms of insanity is repeating an action over and over
again whilst expecting different, positive results.
Old March 14th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Blinky the Shark wrote:
me wrote:

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:08:23 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Blinky the Shark
wrote:

Jim Townsend wrote:

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

I can't even USE a newsreader. My ISP is dropping Usenet support and I
have to use the Google Groups interface.
The irony of this is that 99% of the spam in rec.photo.digital is
coming from Google Groups.
I don't see the irony, there, Jim. And he certainly doesn't "have to"
use GG for posting. And that 99% is the very reason for filtering GG
directly, rather than indirectly via filtering posters showing gmail
addresses; GG/gmail spam is just a subset of GG spam.

But you have to dl the whole message to see it originates from GG if you
use a client newsreader. You can filter gmail just from the from header.
No?

In general, no. You filter on a header, just like you do for a gmail
address. You just filter on a different header, and for the string
googlegroups instead of the string gmail .

Could you give us DETAILED instructions how to filter messages from
Google groups. (Step 1, do this. Step 2 do that etc., etc.)
All this ridiculous spam is making my favorite NG MUCH less enjoyable.
Bob Williams
Old March 14th 08, 07:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Bob Williams wrote:

Shark wrote:

Jim Townsend wrote:

[...]

Pick an applicable news client from my list at the link in my sig.

For clients not listed, check into news.software.readers for assistance.
See you there.

Old March 16th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie

Try reporting them. Google does NOT read any abuse complaints for any
service.

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
It seems that there currently are more spam posts that normal on-topic
posts.
--

Alfred Molon

I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.
Old March 16th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

wrote:

Jim Townsend wrote:

[...]

Create a filter for this header:

I have no idea what newsreader SeaMonkey is.

--
I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.
Old March 16th 08, 08:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

Shark wrote:

Jim Townsend wrote:

[...]

Same as Thunderbird, also from Mozilla: it can't filter on the
Organization header. Filtering is braindead in both of those: they can
only filter on three headers. To kill GG posts they require a local
server/proxy to pre-filter newsgroups for them. Instructions he

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html