Win10 "Photos" app (for video)

Old November 8th 20, 11:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Win10 "Photos" app (for video)

Prompted by Savageduck's "Leisurely drive" I just picked up a GoPro Hero
9 (which is absolutely astonishing).

I have not done any video editing for a while, so I thought I'd try the
Win10 Photos app just for viewing and trimming some clips.

That (sort of) worked, but I realised that by default now it wants to do
everything on OneDrive. I have plenty of space, but I slightly resent
using the bandwidth and I thought perhaps that a temporary video editing
folder on my SSD would improve the speed of everything.

Plenty of helpful stuff on the web, but when I try to "Add a Folder" in
the Photos dialogue nothing happens. I've been through repair and reset
multiple times, and done a complete uninstall / reinstall.

Why do the swine make it so difficult? The old Movie Maker was more than
adequate for basic stuff. (I have Shotcut and Avidemux and VideoPad. I
had Pinnacle once, and had learned that pretty well but they wanted me
to cough up full price again for Win10, and I really resented that).
Old November 8th 20, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-11-08 06:49, newshound wrote:
[...]

A very good, free (for non commercial use), but hard to master editor is
Davinci Resolve. I use it. There are also a lot of YT videos
explaining the processes.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old November 8th 20, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 08/11/2020 16:40, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2020-11-08 06:49, newshound wrote:
[...]

Davinci Resolve.Â* I use it.Â* There are also a lot of YT videos
explaining the processes.

Thanks, yes, I *think* I may have that too although I have not tried it.
One point is that I am busy with other stuff at the moment so *really*
don't want to spend time learning something new until I have a proper
video project (rather than some trivial trimming).
Old November 8th 20, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ed Ruf[_2_]

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 11:49:02 +0000, newshound
wrote:

[...]

Possibly take a look at the old GoPro Studio SW? I use it with an old
GoPro Hero 3+
https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Go...re/ta-p/595533

Old November 8th 20, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 08/11/2020 11:49, newshound wrote:
[...]

Ha, cracked it. Posting here to help anyone else who might fall down the
same rabbit hole. This machine is set up with a particular MS account. I
have a different MS account that includes my Office 365 subscription
including OndDrive settings. The accounts obviously (sort of) know about
each other because I can run Office 365 software without any problem,
and also access the terabyte of OneDrive space.

But, Photos is not so smart. It's only spotting the "Pictures" folder of
the "Office" user, not of the main (and normally logged in) user on this
machine. And, to get Photos to see the "other" Pictures drive it has
forced me into the whole rigmarole of setting up that account on this
machine, including changing the whole look and feel, forcing me to work
through Edge until I got back into control, etc.

I had read other posts recently about the new MS Win10 aggressive
behaviour, but that's the first time I've seen it.