A Leisurely Drive

Old October 30th 20, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default A Leisurely Drive

A leisurely, foggy morning drive, (in hyper-lapse) from my place to Trader Joe’s in Templeton, CA to pick up some goodies. About 18+ miles.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-xTvthJm/0/c23cade4/1920/Hyperlapse1-1920.mp4
Savageduck

Old October 30th 20, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David_B

On 30/10/2020 03:26, Savageduck wrote:
A leisurely, foggy morning drive, (in hyper-lapse) from my place to Trader Joe’s in Templeton, CA to pick up some goodies. About 18+ miles.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-xTvthJm/0/c23cade4/1920/Hyperlapse1-1920.mp4

Phew! :-D
Old October 30th 20, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 30, 2020, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Friday, 30 October 2020 at 03:26:54 UTC, Savageduck wrote:
A leisurely, foggy morning drive, (in hyper-lapse) from my place to Trader Joe’s in Templeton, CA to pick up some goodies. About 18+ miles.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-xTvthJm/0/c23cade4/1920/Hyperlapse1-1920.mp4
Savageduck

Were you using your drone for that inside the car. be more interesting to have a drone view from above the car now that would be impressive.

I was using another new toy the GoPro 9 clipped to the dashboard.
https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero9-black/CHDHX-901-master.html

The drone does time lapse/warp/hyperlapse differently by shooting individual frames, blended with proprietary software.

How long in time was the drive so I can estimate what warp factor you were doing ;-)

About 20+ minutes.

Savageduck

Old October 30th 20, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
croy[_2_]

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 07:31:26 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

I was using another new toy the GoPro 9 clipped to the dashboard.
https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero9-black/CHDHX-901-master.html

But... but... but... the camera appeared to be moving with respect to the dashboard. Flexible
mount?

--
croy
Old October 30th 20, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 30, 2020, croy wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 07:31:26 -0700, wrote:

I was using another new toy the GoPro 9 clipped to the dashboard.
https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero9-black/CHDHX-901-master.html

But... but... but... the camera appeared to be moving with respect to the dashboard. Flexible
mount?

There is a whole bunch of image stabilization going on internally. the camera body is not moving relative to the dashboard, but the camera is wrestling to keep the horizon level and remove any shake/vibration.

I am still learning some of the features of the camera, and I had all the stabilizing features enabled, that included the auto horizon correction. As a normal video capture rather than a time warp that movement is not so noticeable. However, while the camera does not move it will adjust internally to keep the horizon level.

This shorter, normal video local drive should show that correction working. What you see is a stable image with the vehicle in motion.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-WDKHHL9/0/989719ee/1920/Edit-02-1920.mp4

Savageduck

Old October 30th 20, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David_B

On 30/10/2020 16:01, croy wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 07:31:26 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

I was using another new toy the GoPro 9 clipped to the dashboard.
https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero9-black/CHDHX-901-master.html

But... but... but... the camera appeared to be moving with respect to the dashboard. Flexible
mount?

Can you indicate exactly where the camera is mounted?

Old October 31st 20, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 30/10/2020 14:31, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 30, 2020, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Friday, 30 October 2020 at 03:26:54 UTC, Savageduck wrote:
A leisurely, foggy morning drive, (in hyper-lapse) from my place to Trader Joe’s in Templeton, CA to pick up some goodies. About 18+ miles.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-xTvthJm/0/c23cade4/1920/Hyperlapse1-1920.mp4
Savageduck

Were you using your drone for that inside the car. be more interesting to have a drone view from above the car now that would be impressive.

I was using another new toy the GoPro 9 clipped to the dashboard.
https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero9-black/CHDHX-901-master.html

Nice, I am very tempted by one of them too. Mainly for mounting on the
helmet or a chest strap when I am out riding my mule.
Old October 31st 20, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 31, 2020, newshound wrote
(in articleFeudndrtWMQ_VgDCnZ2dnUU78aOdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

On 30/10/2020 14:31, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 30, 2020, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Friday, 30 October 2020 at 03:26:54 UTC, Savageduck wrote:
A leisurely, foggy morning drive, (in hyper-lapse) from my place to Trader Joe’s in Templeton, CA to pick up some goodies. About 18+ miles.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-xTvthJm/0/c23cade4/1920/Hyperlapse1-1920.mp4
Savageduck

Were you using your drone for that inside the car. be more interesting to have a drone view from above the car now that would be impressive.

I was using another new toy the GoPro 9 clipped to the dashboard.
https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero9-black/CHDHX-901-master.html

Nice, I am very tempted by one of them too. Mainly for mounting on the
helmet or a chest strap when I am out riding my mule.

There are a whole bunch of mount options available for most of the action cameras such as the GoPro. So far I just use the clip that came with the bundle I bought, and it has conveniently OK for my car. Others might need a different arrangement.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-ggtM4JS/0/0ccd88f5/O/IMG_3275.jpg

Savageduck

Old October 31st 20, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 31/10/2020 21:40, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

I have a couple of cheap GoPro clones and a fair selection of mounts.
It's one of the nice things about GoPro that they have set a standard
and don't seem to mind third parties making stuff to fit.

It's the image stabilisation of the 8 and 9 that really impresses me,
plus the slightly longer battery life of the 9.