For those Who Care to Play: Acros SOOC + RAF

Old April 25th 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

Default For those Who Care to Play: Acros SOOC + RAF

On 2017-04-23 21:11:11 +0000, Savageduck
said:

OK! I found an inoffensive subject for those folks who would like to
play.

So here is the SOOC JPEG Acros rendition (14MB) with the RAW file
(50.5 MB RAF), and for the folks who just want to peek without dealing
with the big files, a resized JPEG (791KB).
With LR or ACR the Adobe version of Acros is available in the Camera
Calibration panel.

If you care to try AlienSkin Exposure X2, they have a 30 day trial
(works as stand-alone and/or as LR/PS plug-in).
https://www.alienskin.com/exposure/
Their Acros simulation is found in their film presets as "Fuji Neopan
100 Acros".

Resized JPEG 791KB:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yfxuwsez20iv60/_DSF4283RS.jpg
SOOC JPEG 14MB:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mes7v4u49jliphb/_DSF4283.JPG
RAF 50.5MB:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9m981iseihumw2q/_DSF4283.RAF

As I have said, I can get pretty close with Exposure X2.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjrcayh6ufe4hrr/_DSF4283-E-Crop.jpg

OK, I managed to download the files and converted the RAF to DNG
I couldn't find anything in ACR's Camera Calibration panel.
The only Camera Calibration listed is Adobe Standard.

So, I opened the DNG in my Photoshop and converted to B&W.
After some minor gymnastics I got quite close.
[There's some discrepancy in the dark gray.]

Anyway, here are some of my test simulations:
Test (No Grain)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x7a0jmjcfloik2/Test%20%2301%20%28no%20grain%29.jpg
Test (Some Grain)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcxldrc5lz54zmf/Test%20%2301%20%28grain%2001%29.jpg
Test (More Grain)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1clsukndvwn5fo/Test%20%2301%20%28grain%2002%29.jpg

--
==
Later...

Old April 25th 17, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-23 21:11:11 +0000, Savageduck
said:

[...]

The Acros Camera Calibration only shows in ACR if the RAF is used.
What I can't say is whether or not the ACR updates for PS-CS6 include
camera updates. I understand that while that version of ACR doesn't
include some of the CC feature, they maintain camera updates.

So, I opened the DNG in my Photoshop and converted to B&W.
After some minor gymnastics I got quite close.
[There's some discrepancy in the dark gray.]

Anyway, here are some of my test simulations:
Test (No Grain)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x7a0jmjcfloik2/Test%20%2301%20%28no%20grain%29.jpg

Not bad at all.

Test (Some Grain)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcxldrc5lz54zmf/Test%20%2301%20%28grain%2001%29.jpg

Not too bad, but the grain quality is not quite up to the SOOC JPG.

Test (More Grain)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1clsukndvwn5fo/Test%20%2301%20%28grain%2002%29.jpg

That one seems to have been pushed too far and the detail is spoiled
rather than enhanced. The quality of the grain is way off.

Savageduck

Old April 25th 17, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 2017-04-23 21:11:11 +0000, Savageduck
said:

[...]

I haven't played around with conversion to B&W or with film simulations
before.

I knew the grain in that last test was over the top. I need to
experiment a lot more
with grain algorithms/procedures. I need to learn more about grain
statistics.

It's been an interesting exercise and thus a learning experience.
--
==
Later...

Old April 25th 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-23 21:11:11 +0000, Savageduck
said:

[...]

I look on all aspects of digital post processing as a great learning
experience, but most of all, for a retired old fart, it is fun.

Here I took the RAF into Exposure X2 (no Adobe LR or PS) for all of the
post including a 16:10 crop, and an Agfacolor Neu film simulation. All
of these things gets us to a very different look.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0oqocztpa7pwkhg/_DSF4283-Exposure%20%282%29.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 26th 17, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 2017-04-23 21:11:11 +0000, Savageduck
said:

[...]

Actually, it was the discussion of grain simulation that got me interested
in this thread.

Back in the deep dark past of my wet photography days I did a lot of
experiments with synthesized grain. Back then I used a ground glass
plate on top of Kodalith to create various grain effects.

The discussion brought back some fond memories of those days
and those experiments. Photoshop allows me to experiment with
techniques I'd only dreamed of back then.

I find the exploration of realistic (simulated) film grain vs artificial
artistic grain effects fascinating.

After all these years I still tend to go for artistic renderings over
realistic renderings.
~
Enough for now...
--
==
Later...

Old April 26th 17, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-23 21:11:11 +0000, Savageduck
said:

[...]

I am just happy that we could keep this related to digital photography,
and I am glad there was an aspect of the thread to lure you in.

Back in the deep dark past of my wet photography days I did a lot of
experiments with synthesized grain. Back then I used a ground glass
plate on top of Kodalith to create various grain effects.

In my wet darkroom darks it was working with Tri-X along with various
Ilford and Agfa films, with different developers at different
concentrations and temperatures. However, my wet darkroom equipment is
long gone.

The discussion brought back some fond memories of those days
and those experiments. Photoshop allows me to experiment with
techniques I'd only dreamed of back then.

It certainly evokes a sense of nostalgia for me.

I find the exploration of realistic (simulated) film grain vs artificial
artistic grain effects fascinating.

In that case I highly recommend testing the Alien Skin Exposure X2
trial. It was meant for folks such as us. It also does a pretty good
job of most processing tasks for RAW and JPG. These days I find myself
using some of the alternate tools as much if not more than my usual
Lightroom/Photoshop workflow.

After all these years I still tend to go for artistic renderings over
realistic renderings.

Nothing wrong with that. Enjoy!

~
Enough for now...

Savageduck

Old April 26th 17, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-23 21:11:11 +0000, Savageduck
said:

[...]

I thought it was about the fun of photo manipulation and included film
photography. The next sentence, for example.

That was certainly true of the thread where that was debated ad nauseum
after some thread drift. This is not really an extension of that thread.

Note in that next sentence, that for Ron those "grain experiments" were
back in the "deep dark past of his wet photography days". Also note
that Ron says he finds Photoshop allows him to experiment with
techniques not available to him in those days of yore.

The other thing to note is, this was a fresh thread where I posted an
RAF out of my new X-T2 along with a SOOC, Fujifilm Acros film
simulation JPG, as an exercise for those who might care to try their
hand at replicating the SOOC rendition from the RAW file with whatever
software they choose.

I am making the assumption that you are just commenting, and not
participating in this exercise.
If you decide to play, the links are there in DB or Adobe CC.

Old April 27th 17, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 2017-04-23 21:11:11 +0000, Savageduck
said:

[...]

The Alien Skin stuff looks interesting. I'll likely try it out one of
these days.

For now I'm content in re-exploring grain. I've done a bunch of experiments
and learned a lot about different ways to add grain as well as ways to
mess with grain statistics. Much left to learn. I'd like to learn more about
the difference between high ISO digital noise and push processing,
grain popping noise, etc.

Too bad others haven't joined this sandbox.
~
Enough for now...
--
==
Later...

Old April 27th 17, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-23 21:11:11 +0000, Savageduck
said:

[...]

It is actually not too tough to work with. They have some videos to get
you started, and they have more tutorials on youtube.
Just remember, it is just a 30 day trial, and I have been happy enough
to pay for it.

For now I'm content in re-exploring grain. I've done a bunch of experiments
and learned a lot about different ways to add grain as well as ways to
mess with grain statistics. Much left to learn. I'd like to learn more about
the difference between high ISO digital noise and push processing,
grain popping noise, etc.

Too bad others haven't joined this sandbox.

I guess it was too closely related to photography, and not enough
bitching for the usual suspects.
It was worth a try. ;-)

~
Enough for now...
--
==
Later...

Savageduck

Old May 11th 17, 03:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 19:32:33 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-04-24 02:23:27 +0000, Bill W said:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 19:05:53 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-04-24 01:34:56 +0000, Bill W said:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 14:11:11 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

I suck at this. I need a couple of more months.

What happened? You were the most enthusiastic at wanting to play this game.

What sort of issue are you experiencing?

The issue is that I suck at it. To be honest, I spent only a short
time so far. I decided to just pick a basic B&W preset, and start with
that. I decided that the exposure, tone, contrast, and micro-contrast
were the main issues to start with, and I couldn't get anywhere with
those. But again, I spent only about 10 minutes so far. I'll get back
to it later.

OK! Don't drive yourself crazy with this little exercise. ;-)

Well, I finally got my photo computer working again a little after I
hung up on MS customer support, and a little before I reached the bomb
threat level of frustration with them. Anyway, I should be too
embarrassed to post this, but here is my pathetic try:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/48982192@N05/w7af6P

Just more proof that I can get really lost in post.

BTW, if racing is of any interest to you, I have a "Videos" album on
Flickr, with exactly one video. Let me know what you think of the
woman driver in the Grand National. Don't bother letting me know what
you think of my video skills, though.