Wide Angle Lens Recommendation

Old July 29th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Miller

Default Wide Angle Lens Recommendation

Before I purchased my Canon 5D, I was using a 10D. My wide angle lens was a
Sigma 15-30mm and I was reasonably satisfied. After the 5D purchase, I sold
the 10D and the Sigma. Now, I find myself needing a wide angle lens for
shooting home interiors and am looking for some recommendations. I have a
Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 but it's not really wide enough for that purpose, though
I'm happy with it for landscapes.

My budget is about $250, but I would go to $350 if necessary. I will be
using the home interior shots for the web only so I don't need the best,
brightest or sharpest lens out there. I also don't want utter junk. It would
be nice to also be able to play with it for other purposes. I think I can
get another Sigma 15-30, but may have to wait a while to find one at that
price on eBay, so I'm asking for recommendations.

TIA

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old July 29th 09, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Eric Miller" wrote in message
Before I purchased my Canon 5D, I was using a 10D. My wide angle lens was
a Sigma 15-30mm and I was reasonably satisfied. After the 5D purchase, I
sold the 10D and the Sigma. Now, I find myself needing a wide angle lens
for shooting home interiors and am looking for some recommendations. I
have a Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 but it's not really wide enough for that
purpose, though I'm happy with it for landscapes.

My budget is about $250, but I would go to $350 if necessary. I will be
using the home interior shots for the web only so I don't need the best,
brightest or sharpest lens out there. I also don't want utter junk. It
would be nice to also be able to play with it for other purposes. I think
I can get another Sigma 15-30, but may have to wait a while to find one at
that price on eBay, so I'm asking for recommendations.

The budget's a problem. Maybe the Tokina 19-35 or Sigma 17-35.

For interior shots with the 5D or 5D2, the Sigma 12-24 is a lot of fun. Mine
produces images that are sharp, corners to corner, for close in distances,
but is horrible at infinity. Sigh.

But it's over your budget. Probably a used Sigma 15-30 is the way to go.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old July 29th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

Eric Miller wrote:
Before I purchased my Canon 5D, I was using a 10D. My wide angle lens
was a Sigma 15-30mm and I was reasonably satisfied. After the 5D
purchase, I sold the 10D and the Sigma. Now, I find myself needing a
wide angle lens for shooting home interiors and am looking for some
recommendations. I have a Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 but it's not really
wide enough for that purpose, though I'm happy with it for landscapes.

My budget is about $250, but I would go to $350 if necessary. I will
be using the home interior shots for the web only so I don't need the
best, brightest or sharpest lens out there. I also don't want utter
junk. It would be nice to also be able to play with it for other
purposes. I think I can get another Sigma 15-30, but may have to wait
a while to find one at that price on eBay, so I'm asking for
recommendations.

There's not really a lot available in that price range new in the focal
lengths you're looking for--have you considered the 17-35 Tamron? Doesn't
go as wide as the Sigma and I can't speak for the build quality but
according to photozone.de it's on a par optically with the Sigma.

Note that keh.com has a couple of 15-30 Sigmas in your price range.

Old July 29th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Miller

"Annika1980" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 10:22 am, "Eric Miller"
wrote:
I have a Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 but it's not really wide enough for that
purpose, though
I'm happy with it for landscapes.

Buy a pano head instead and use the 24mm for stitched panos.

Not a bad idea, but I'd really like to spend less time post processing and
less time for the shoot. I have been looking at getting a pano head anyway
though, any recommendations?

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old July 29th 09, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Miller

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Eric Miller wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the head's up, I should have known to check keh first. And 17
should be plenty wide enough, I'll look at one of those too.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old July 29th 09, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Eric Miller wrote:
Before I purchased my Canon 5D, I was using a 10D. My wide angle lens was a
Sigma 15-30mm and I was reasonably satisfied. After the 5D purchase, I sold
the 10D and the Sigma. Now, I find myself needing a wide angle lens for
shooting home interiors and am looking for some recommendations. I have a
Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 but it's not really wide enough for that purpose, though
I'm happy with it for landscapes.

My budget is about $250, but I would go to $350 if necessary. I will be
using the home interior shots for the web only so I don't need the best,
brightest or sharpest lens out there. I also don't want utter junk. It would
be nice to also be able to play with it for other purposes. I think I can
get another Sigma 15-30, but may have to wait a while to find one at that
price on eBay, so I'm asking for recommendations.

Non-Ai 20mm f/3.5 Nikkor-UD if you can find one. That's an old lens,
introduced in 1967.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old July 29th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
trouble

Actually, if its just for the web, I second the stitched panorama
suggestion. Most stitching programs, including the one built into
Photoshop, should give you excellent results with any tripod. You can
probably even hand-hold the camera and get adequate results.

Old July 29th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Miller

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Eric Miller wrote:
[...]

Then I would have to purchase some sort of adapter.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old July 29th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

Paul Furman wrote:
Eric Miller wrote:
[...]

If 20mm will do keh.com has a couple of 20mm Canons for real cheap.
Old July 30th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:40:06 -0400, "Larry Thong"
wrote:
: Eric Miller wrote:
:
: Before I purchased my Canon 5D, I was using a 10D. My wide angle lens
: was a Sigma 15-30mm and I was reasonably satisfied. After the 5D
: purchase, I sold the 10D and the Sigma. Now, I find myself needing a
: wide angle lens for shooting home interiors and am looking for some
: recommendations. I have a Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 but it's not really
: wide enough for that purpose, though I'm happy with it for landscapes.
:
: My recommendation would be for the 17-35/2.8 Nikkor and an adapter ring.
: When I was shooting my 17-35/2.8 on the old 1D Mk III it really was nice.
: Well worth the money. Theres's nothing wrong with going over budget for
: this level of quality. Good luck.

Well spoken, Rita. But then you're not the one who has to go to debtor's
prison if he overextends and can't pay. Maybe you actually did own a 1D3 for
your usual 18 months, but not all of us are so flush. It may be seen as heresy
in this newsgroup, but I think it's a *good* thing when someone figures out
what he can afford to pay and then looks for the best buy available for that
amount. The world would be better off if more *governments* behaved that way.

Bob