[photo] spooky house

Old March 16th 08, 07:02 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_11_]

Default [photo] spooky house

Have always wanted to take a night shot of this house. Was
watching a movie at the cinema round the corner the other night
and happened to have camera and tripod in the car, so afterwards
stopped off on the way home.

I wanted to make it feel a little spooky. Not sure how I went
with that, and also not sure about the composition. I know it's
dead centre. There is a street sign just out of the right side
of shot, and a street light on the left.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...g_6334_fin.jpg

If you're interested, this is the shot straight of camera.
Horrible yellow street light nearby:

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al..._6334_orig.jpg

I also tried it B&W, and with a poor attempt at adding grain:

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...mg_6334_bw.jpg
http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...6334_grain.jpg

Any other suggestions?

--
Troy Piggins
Old March 16th 08, 08:27 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JimKramer

Default spooky house

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...photos/2008_03....

If you're interested, this is the shot straight of camera.
Horrible yellow street light nearby:

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...photos/2008_03....

I also tried it B&W, and with a poor attempt at adding grain:

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...photos/2008_03....

Any other suggestions?

--
Troy Piggins

First re-shoot it. Closer with a wider angle so that it "looms" over
you.

Take your flash with you and using it hand held and manually
triggered, illuminate the house from several points to get rid of the
street light colors. Play with the ISO and the aperture to get the
time you need for a quick walk around.

Try cloning the windows back in the lower story, the plywood really
detracts.

Have fun.
Jim

Old March 16th 08, 09:01 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Troy Piggins wrote:
Have always wanted to take a night shot of this house. Was
watching a movie at the cinema round the corner the other night
and happened to have camera and tripod in the car, so afterwards
stopped off on the way home.

I wanted to make it feel a little spooky. Not sure how I went
with that, and also not sure about the composition. I know it's
dead centre. There is a street sign just out of the right side
of shot, and a street light on the left.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...g_6334_fin.jpg

If you're interested, this is the shot straight of camera.
Horrible yellow street light nearby:

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al..._6334_orig.jpg

I also tried it B&W, and with a poor attempt at adding grain:

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...mg_6334_bw.jpg
http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...6334_grain.jpg

Any other suggestions?

go the grainy B&W, & photoshop some lightning?
Old March 16th 08, 09:27 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_11_]

* JimKramer wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jim. Good advice. I thought that first shot was looming
a bit - taken at 17mm. I can go wider with 10-22 lens

Try cloning the windows back in the lower story, the plywood really
detracts.

Really? I liked the ply, made it clear there's noone at home.

Have fun.

Oh, you can count on that
Thanks again.

--
Troy Piggins
Old March 16th 08, 09:29 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_11_]

* Doug Jewell wrote:
Troy Piggins wrote:
[...]

Thanks Doug! I kind of liked the grainy one, but my PP skills
need some tuning. Hadn't thought of lightning! I had tried to
add some fog. Let's just say that one ended up on the cutting
room floor.

--
Troy Piggins
Old March 16th 08, 09:32 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_11_]

* Ali wrote:
What a charismatic house. Why is it boarded up?

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...g_6334_fin.jpg

No idea really. It's been like that for quite some time.
Surrounded by newer houses and a commercial area, pub, movies,
shops etc. I suspect it was bought by a developer waiting for
the right time or approval to knock down and redevelop. Shame.

--
Troy Piggins
Old March 16th 08, 10:23 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

In article ,
Troy Piggins wrote:

No idea really. It's been like that for quite some time.
Surrounded by newer houses and a commercial area, pub, movies,
shops etc. I suspect it was bought by a developer waiting for
the right time or approval to knock down and redevelop. Shame.

Maybe its on a historical registry somewhere, maybe the owner wants to
find a buyer willing to move it before he/she develops the property. Or
maybe the owner is just needs enough cash to renovate.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old March 16th 08, 10:38 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JimKramer

On Mar 16, 5:27*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
* JimKramer wrote:
[...]

Troy Piggins- Hide quoted text -

Quick and Dirty, but you get the idea...
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/Troy/TroysHouse.htm
Working from your original, duplicated it three times and adjusted the
top, middle and bottom. Distorted the perspective and blackened the
edges.

Jim
Old March 16th 08, 10:58 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_11_]

* JimKramer wrote:
On Mar 16, 5:27*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 29 lines snipped |=---]

Have fun.

Oh, you can count on that
Thanks again.

Quick and Dirty, but you get the idea...
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/Troy/TroysHouse.htm
Working from your original, duplicated it three times and adjusted the
top, middle and bottom. Distorted the perspective and blackened the
edges.

Ooh, cool. I get the idea. Thanks!

--
Troy Piggins