[SI] Status of SI?

Old March 5th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Default [SI] Status of SI?

Just had a look at the SI page, because I believe the
current mandate "Sky" is due about now. There is a message
as of the 20th Feb that it is on hiatus. Will the current
mandate be done? Will it come back? Can I make a submission
for the current mandate?
If it is dead, what can we do to bring it back? is it worth
bringing back?
Old March 5th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default Status of SI?

I think the Shootin officially jumped the shark during the last
mandate which received a whopping total of two submissions, an archive
shot from Bowser and one from the host himself.

And somewhere Lisa Horton cries......
Old March 6th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Mar 5, 5:08*pm, Doug Jewell wrote:
Just had a look at the SI page, because I believe the
current mandate "Sky" is due about now. There is a message
as of the 20th Feb that it is on hiatus. Will the current
mandate be done? Will it come back? Can I make a submission
for the current mandate?
If it is dead, what can we do to bring it back? is it worth
bringing back?

Sure
Looking doubtful
Of course you can, but no one else has, if it's nice I'll put it
up :-)
Participation
That's not up to me

Give me a month to settle down and we'll see what happens. My
frustration levels have been a bit high lately due to a number of
things, but I just didn't feel like dealing with the SI if I'm only
going to get a few submissions. You can tell from the astonishing
number of posts that people would rather take a poke a Douglas, Rita
or Bret, have hot internet sex (Now that was a gruesome mental image!)
or buy knock off name brand shirts and shoes than talk about
Photography, Pictures and Equipment.

Jim
Old March 6th 08, 01:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Helen[_2_]

On Mar 6, 7:23*am, JimKramer wrote:
[...]

I have to agree with Jim. Participation is what keeps the SI alive.
I plan on participating and hope others will too.
Sorry to hear you're under stress, Jim. I hope you're able to sort
things out. I sent you a suggestion for an upcoming Mandate and hope
it's useable.
Helen
Old March 6th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

JimKramer wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jim,
I have just sent a submission. I decided several months ago
I was going to participate in every SI - unfortunately I
haven't been out as much as I'd like taking photos, and
until this one haven't had anything to submit. The last week
has seen me on annual leave though, so voila, an SI
submission - unfortunately when SI is in its death throes :-(
Old March 7th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

JimKramer wrote:
On Mar 5, 5:08 pm, Doug Jewell wrote:
Just had a look at the SI page, because I believe the
current mandate "Sky" is due about now. There is a message
as of the 20th Feb that it is on hiatus. Will the current
mandate be done? Will it come back? Can I make a submission
for the current mandate?
If it is dead, what can we do to bring it back? is it worth
bringing back?

Sure

I didn't even see the sky mandate posted but I've been neglectful
anyways. Maybe it is time to renew the concept. One idea is to have a
theme rather than mandate and to default to archive submissions within
the last 2 weeks plus a week from the announcement to the posting.

Say the theme is 'Sky' announced this past Tuesday; everyone has till
next Tuesday to submit something relating to sky. The point isn't to
push people to take pictures on a theme (we should already be taking
plenty of pics every 2 weeks) but to share how we've already been
shooting that theme. There is still the possibility of doing a custom
shot (with kudos) and a shot older than 2 weeks could be allowed as a an
archive shot.

Frankly I don't really like being told what to shoot and I tend to
resist that approach, as many creative individuals will. Maybe that's
simply my justification but anyways there's my two cents.

Or even just forget the timing aspect and don't 'penalize' archives.
There are some great photogs here who have decades of marvelous photos
which I would enjoy seeing and discussing. A little motivation for them
to scan them up & present them and just as valid for folks to shoot for
the theme if they like that approach. Those of us who are shooting
bunches every week anyways will most likely submit recent work because
that's what's most relevant & there's no cash prize to 'cheat' for :-)

Old March 7th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Paul Furman wrote:
JimKramer wrote:
[...]

I agree with you there. Probably should also post the
announcements to aus.photo, r.p.d and r.p.d.slr also, as
these groups seem to have better following these days.

Old March 7th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dudley Hanks

"Doug Jewell" wrote in message
Paul Furman wrote:
JimKramer wrote:
[...]

As a relative newcomer, I'd like to know what the "SI" is.

Is it open to anyone who views the group? And,, if so, where is the page?

Very Interested,
Dudley

Old March 7th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:
JimKramer wrote:
[...]

Yep

And,, if so, where is the page?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin

Very Interested,
Dudley

Old March 7th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dudley Hanks

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. net...
Paul Furman wrote:
[...]