Choosing a school: art or technology?

Old February 27th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Pudentame

Default Choosing a school: art or technology?

Paul Furman wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

staph

STAFF!

I dunno. Some of what I've had to deal with lately ...
Old February 27th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Pudentame

Tony Polson wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:42:39 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

If you learned about business, surely you would *never* choose
professional photography as a business.

It was reported a a coule of years ago that the average income of
people in the USA whose main income came from photography was around
the $20,000 mark.

But that includes all the ones who don't have good business skills.

Name one business school that runs courses that are specifically
tailored and relevant to running a photography business.

Well, a good photography school should at least offer some business courses.
Old February 27th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Pudentame

JJ wrote:
"THO" wrote in message

Interesting. Any idea why the PhD contributed/caused the marriage
failures?

She was rarely home, three years of super-intense work, resentment of being
supported, fear of having to pay-back, and hell, men are only stepping
stones; why should a new PhD continue to associate with a lowly artist?

Ya should have at least demanded alimony.
Old February 27th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rebecca Ore

wrote:

If you learned about business, surely you would *never* choose
professional photography as a business.

It was reported a a coule of years ago that the average income of
people in the USA whose main income came from photography was around
the $20,000 mark.
But that includes all the ones who don't have good business skills.

Name one business school that runs courses that are specifically
tailored and relevant to running a photography business.

Well, a good photography school should at least offer some business courses.

I suspect that photography schools, like journalism schools, graduate
each year more aspirants than there are openings in photography in the
country. I live next door to someone who can't afford to open a leaking
place in the alleyway on her side to see where it's coming from. She's
working as a carpenter/house cleaner.

My advice to her before she went into debt for a two year certificate
was to get a job shooting babies. For writers, a year working on a
weekly newspaper is better than an MFA they'd pay for (getting full ride
on an MFA is a different matter).

Never, ever, pay for an MFA. If you can't get full scholarship from
your portfolio, you're probably not good enough to get a job later.
Take classes in what you're deficient in, preferably one on one, and
find someone you'd like to learn from.
Old February 28th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
JJ

"Pudentame" wrote in message
JJ wrote:
She was rarely home, three years of super-intense work, resentment of
being supported, fear of having to pay-back, and hell, men are only
stepping stones; why should a new PhD continue to associate with a lowly
artist?

Ya should have at least demanded alimony.

Man, she got the car, furniture and everything but my cameras, computer and
Harley. But what more does a guy need?

Old February 28th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David Nebenzahl

JJ spake thus:

"Pudentame" wrote in message

JJ wrote:

She was rarely home, three years of super-intense work, resentment of
being supported, fear of having to pay-back, and hell, men are only
stepping stones; why should a new PhD continue to associate with a lowly
artist?

Ya should have at least demanded alimony.

Man, she got the car, furniture and everything but my cameras, computer and
Harley. But what more does a guy need?

Reminds me of the great song, "Alimoney" by the inestimable Shel
Silverstein:

Alimony, alimony, I work 'til my fingers are bloody and bony,
Me oh my, oh goodness sake, I'm paying for my mistake.
She calls it "alimoney, alimoney",
you single men may think it's funny,
'Til one of these days you're gonna wake
and find you're payin' for your mistake.

I walk around ragged like a low-down bum,
I can't afford to weigh myself or buy a stick of gum,
It's the same old story with a little more blues in it,
I'm payin' for it while someone else is usin' it!

Alimony, alimony, I thought I bought steak and it was all baloney,
My heart and back are both about to break from payin' for my mistake.

--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a

It is a WASTE OF TIME.

- Harlan Ellison, writing on the "talk page" of his Wikipedia article
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Harlan_Ellison)
Old February 28th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
J. Clarke

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:00:47 -0600, "JJ" wrote:

"Pudentame" wrote in message
.. .
JJ wrote:
She was rarely home, three years of super-intense work, resentment of
being supported, fear of having to pay-back, and hell, men are only
stepping stones; why should a new PhD continue to associate with a lowly
artist?

Ya should have at least demanded alimony.

Man, she got the car, furniture and everything but my cameras, computer and
Harley. But what more does a guy need?

A dry place with power to plug in the computer and charge the cameras?

Old March 1st 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
JJ

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:00:47 -0600, "JJ" wrote:

Man, she got the car, furniture and everything but my cameras, computer
and
Harley. But what more does a guy need?

A dry place with power to plug in the computer and charge the cameras?

My Harley has a Power Take-off (PTO), and the cameras aren't electric. Got
to find a picture of that. Really, the belt drive is exposed and has an
extra spool. I've got it made... if I could only find some shade. Say,
lookie at all those people livin under the bridge.

Old March 3rd 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Pudentame

JJ wrote:
"Pudentame" wrote in message
JJ wrote:
She was rarely home, three years of super-intense work, resentment of
being supported, fear of having to pay-back, and hell, men are only
stepping stones; why should a new PhD continue to associate with a lowly
artist?

Ya should have at least demanded alimony.

Man, she got the car, furniture and everything but my cameras, computer and
Harley. But what more does a guy need?

I dunno. Mine got nothin'! And did it all to herself.

The short version:

She left me for another guy. I offered her a 50/50 split - house, cars,
bills.

HER IDEA, I was gonna sell the house, she was going to get *ALL* the
money and the cars, while I was going to get stuck with the bills &
paying off the mortgage out of pocket.

So I told not to bother calling me; just have her lawyer talk to my lawyer.

It dragged out 8 years until she calls up in the middle of the night,
"Don't hang up. I'm tired of it and I just want it over. I'll sign a
quit claim."

Her lawyer gave the quit claim deed to my lawyer and I was divorced
within 48 hours.

Two weeks later, I run into her old college roommate who asked me if I
was going to my ex-wife's wedding? The roommate already had her
invitation several weeks prior to our divorce.

And as it turns out ... several years later, I learned the guy literally
left her at the altar. Didn't show up at the church for the wedding.

Bad Karma will come back and get ya.

Choosing a school: art or technology? Matt Clara Digital Photography 65 March 3rd 07 03:46 AM
School has started, and Drive to School Hall of Shame Web Site is SMS Digital SLR Cameras 17 August 27th 05 07:37 PM
technology? Josh Digital Photography 1 May 5th 05 09:44 PM
Need help choosing. Anyone? Mat S Digital Photography 22 June 30th 04 10:45 PM
Need help choosing. Anyone? Giorgio Preddio 35mm Photo Equipment 14 June 30th 04 10:45 PM