Omega B22

Old June 28th 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Omega B22

Hi everyone, I just purchased an Omega B22 enlarger at a garage sale.
Amazingly, everything (lens, bellows, condenser, lamphouse, etc...) is
in great condition. I plugged it in and the bulb still worked as well.
Anyways, it is missing a few small pieces like the negative carrier and
vc filter holder. Does anyone know where I can find some reasonably
priced parts for this thing? I found one place online, but they wanted
like $70 for just a 35mm glassless negative carrier. Thanks for any
tips in advance.

Old June 28th 06, 11:18 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I have done business with "classic enlargers."
http://www.classic-enlargers.com/
I too have a B-22, and the counterweight strap spring broke. I got a
replacement and a cold light head from Harry at Classic Enlargers a couple
of years ago. I would recommend them to you.

oups.com...

Old June 29th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I had one of these many years back and liked many features of it. I
recall liking the negative holder system better than the Beseler type
that I now use. The beam seems sturdy at first glance, but you'll
find that you need to wait a few seconds for vibrations to stop after
touching anything on the head. It helped greatly to connect the top
of the column to the wall with a small turnbuckle arrangement. Also,
see if you can locate the manual and assure that the condensers are
installed correctly. I recall seeing these in a school darkroom with
odd light patterns and it was traced to incorrect condenser
insertions. You'll enjoy your new acquisition, I predict!

On 27 Jun 2006 23:30:47 -0700, wrote:

Hi everyone, I just purchased an Omega B22 enlarger at a garage sale.
Amazingly, everything (lens, bellows, condenser, lamphouse, etc...) is
in great condition. I plugged it in and the bulb still worked as well.
Anyways, it is missing a few small pieces like the negative carrier and
vc filter holder. Does anyone know where I can find some reasonably
priced parts for this thing? I found one place online, but they wanted
like $70 for just a 35mm glassless negative carrier. Thanks for any
tips in advance.

Craig Schroeder
craig nospam craigschroeder com
Old June 29th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote in message

Hi everyone, I just purchased an Omega B22 enlarger at a garage sale.
... Does anyone know where I can find some reasonably
priced parts for this thing? I found one place online, but they wanted
like $70 for just a 35mm glassless negative carrier.

$70 is a wee bit high. Complete B22 outfits with carrier, lens,
etc. have gone for $20-$30 on ebay: have them send you the carrier
and chuck the enlarger -- shipping's cheaper if they only send
the carrier.

You should be able to find a carrier that is missing the enlarger
for $5 - $15.

Try ebay and also try a wtb ad in rec.photo.marketplace.darkroom and in
http://www.photo.net/

It is possible to make a very serviceable carrier out of some heavy-duty
cardboard. You can make HD cardboard by laminating thin cardboard with
pliobond. Cut with a mat knife. If you are into being fancy you can
make negative guide/alignment pins by shoving thumbtacks into the carrier
and then slightly enlarging the holes on the tackless side. Kiwi edge
dressing makes a good waterproof blacking agent to keep flare down: side
of the carrier facing the lens should always be black.

Old June 29th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Craig Schroeder wrote:
[...]

Yeah, student enlargers, kids love to mess with them to screw up the
works for the next kid that comes in to use the thing.

eBay for carriers, B-22, B-66, B-600 carriers all the same all will work.

And if you don't have the supplemental 35mm condenser look for one.
Old June 29th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I built a darkroom a couple of years ago after having my interest in B&W
revived, and I dug out my old B-22 from my college days. It had been in the
original carton all this time. The grease on the counterweight spring strap
had solidified and the metal strap brokw, but I obtained a replacement from
"Classic Enlargers."

The B-22 that I bought came with both 35mm and 2 1/4 x 2 1/4" glassless
negative carrier, and it had a supplemental condenser and a 70mm enlarging
lens for use with the 2 1/4 x 2 14 setup.

I updated the enlarger with a cold light head, so the condensers are not in
use right now, but all original parts are being saved in case a museum wants
it after I shuffle off!

Along the way I have acquired a Russian Horizon 202 panoramic camera. It
does a pretty good job and is fun to use, but it produces a negative the
same width as a 35mm, but 1.5 times as long (24 x 54 as I recall). I bought
a B-22 35mm carrier on e-bay and had a local machine shop recut the window
to the correct dimensions. I use a 70mm enlargging lens (same as for a 2
1/4 x 2/14). I don't remember the price, but I'm thinking in the
neighborhood of $20 - 25.

As for stability, my B-22 is bolted to the counter. I "sandwiched" the
counter top between 2 foot lengths of hardwood 2x6 above and below the
counter, and the enlarger column is tightly screwed through the whole
assembly. Not a lot of shake left it it, but I still wait for things to
settle down before exposing and try to keep my hands off the counter while
exposing. I have heard (and seen) of folks who added braces from the top of
the enlarger column to the wall. My counters and cabinets are heavy and
bolted to a concrete floor and wall in the basement, so they are completely
rigid. I therefore didn't bother with a top brace, but it woudn't be a bad
idea to consider.

If I were to buy another B&W enlarger, there are plenty of old dichro color
enlargers available cheap, and once the filter numbers are found out and
dialed in, it is possible to change contrasts using B&W variable contrast
paper without having to retest for exposure times. I'd love that!

But all in all, the Omega B-22 has produced a lot of great photos and is
worthy of some TLC. It is a classic and easy to work with.

Old June 29th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Pieter Litchfield" wrote

Not a lot of shake left it it, but I still wait for things to settle down
before exposing and try to keep my hands off the counter while exposing.
I have heard (and seen) of folks who added braces from the top of the
enlarger column to the wall.

I found the lowest vibration location for an enlarger, other than the
basement/foundation floor, is at the corners of building. The middle
of a wood floor is more a sounding board than a stable surface.

It is easy to do a comparative test of floor stability:

Fill a glass about to the rim with water, place in location, stand so
you can see the reflection in the water surface and stand tip-toe and come
down hard on your heels. Observe the amount of disturbance in the water
reflection.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer: Electronics, Photonics, Informatics.

Old Omega Cold Light Mike King In The Darkroom 1 January 1st 06 08:08 PM
Old Omega Cold Light Little Green Eyed Dragon In The Darkroom 0 December 31st 05 02:07 PM
WTB: Rapid Omega 200 120 back, 58 or 60 mm lens Jim Youngmeyer Medium Format Equipment For Sale 0 September 8th 03 10:11 PM