Film SLR Flash unit on a Digital SLR - Possible?

Old June 18th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Film SLR Flash unit on a Digital SLR - Possible?

Had an opportunity today to buy a second-hand flash unit that was TTL
compatible with Canon EOS Film SLRs. I thought this would simply work on my
350D and might be a bit of a bargain...

The guy there said that it wouldn't work because the frequencies (??) were
all different and that all photos would come out completely white...

Is this true or not? I thought TTL was a standard (certainly on Canon
compatible) and that if the Flash supported it and was compatible with the
connector itself, all would work fine.

Look forward to your responses, as this would be a good bargain if it did
work.

Regards

Alex

Old June 18th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
"alex" wrote:

Had an opportunity today to buy a second-hand flash unit that was TTL
compatible with Canon EOS Film SLRs. I thought this would simply work on my
350D and might be a bit of a bargain...

The guy there said that it wouldn't work because the frequencies (??) were
all different and that all photos would come out completely white...

Is this true or not? I thought TTL was a standard (certainly on Canon
compatible) and that if the Flash supported it and was compatible with the
connector itself, all would work fine.

Look forward to your responses, as this would be a good bargain if it did
work.

Regards

Alex

Should work fine but the old flash may not allow all of the flash
functions on your camera. Both your camera and the camera the flash was
made for have X synch.

That is what controls the timing of the firing of the flash so the
shutter is fully open at the time it fires.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old June 18th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Bob Salomon" wrote in message
"alex" wrote:

[...]

Bob, Thanks for the reply. I'm tempted, it was only £35 anyway so as long
as there's no dangerous voltages or anything, would be a good starter flash
and then as I need the extra functions I can upgrade to a 420/30EX with the
bells & whilstles.

Cheers

Akex

Old June 18th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Stop Immediately before you use that flash. It is the voltages that
are different.

Some, but not all, older flashes used very high shutter trip voltages
that were WAY above that the digital cameras can handle. Check the
trigger voltage before you use it and check you camera's manual to see
what a safe range is.

It is possible you could damage your camera, i.e. fry the electonics.

Give you flash model number an someone might be able to look them up
for you. Or Google it yourself. Another option would be to check the
website of the manufacturer (or to contact them)

Good luck.

Pat.

Old June 18th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"alex" wrote in message
news
Had an opportunity today to buy a second-hand flash unit that was TTL
compatible with Canon EOS Film SLRs. I thought this would simply work on
my 350D and might be a bit of a bargain...

The guy there said that it wouldn't work because the frequencies (??) were
all different and that all photos would come out completely white...

It's not frequencies that might cause problems. What you have to be careful
about is the trigger voltage, which is the amount of voltage which passes
through the camera when you release the shutter. Older flashes could sizzle
the delicate circuitry of a modern DSLR, which require lower voltages. The
350D can take a max of 6 volts. Google for "trigger voltage 350d" - that's
what I did, then find out the trigger voltage for the flash unit you're
looking at.
Google is our friend, remember.

Old June 18th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"alex" wrote:

[...]

Synch voltage is a different animal. The old flash could have a high
synch voltage.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old June 18th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"alex" wrote:

[...]

If the flash is a good buy and you have a built-in flash you could
always fire the new flash by a slave and that way the synch voltage is
no problem.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old June 18th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

news

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Old June 19th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"alex" wrote:

[...]

Yes that sounds more sensible. Given what the some of the others say, I
will be very weary of the voltages from now on. Thought they just relates
to studio strobes etc, but didn't know flash units could produce them as
well.

Thanks alot, and thanks to the others in the chain.

Cheers

Alex C

Old June 19th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

alex wrote:
Had an opportunity today to buy a second-hand flash unit that was TTL
compatible with Canon EOS Film SLRs. I thought this would simply work on my
350D and might be a bit of a bargain...

The guy there said that it wouldn't work because the frequencies (??) were
all different and that all photos would come out completely white...

Is this true or not? I thought TTL was a standard (certainly on Canon
compatible) and that if the Flash supported it and was compatible with the
connector itself, all would work fine.

Look forward to your responses, as this would be a good bargain if it did
work.

Regards

Alex

Besides the synch voltage issue that is mentioned, a fundamental
problem with getting ETTL automation out of a TTL flash unit is simply
that the flash is most likely incapable of the preflash needed for
metering ETTL prior to the exposure!

TTL flash was metered in real time from the surface of the film and the
flash was told 'enough light' based on how much light was reflected off
the film surface as the exposure was made. ETTL, on the other hand,
uses a preflash which is metered by a sensor in the camera, but is not
off the surface of the sensor and occurs BEFORE (not during) the actual
exposure. No preflash, no ETTL automation!