Omega d2 vs d2v

Old January 4th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Omega d2 vs d2v

I'm looking for a condenser head for my zone vi enlarger and I understand
that the Bessler adapter will work with a d2v head. Problem is, I can't
locate a d2v head. Is it more or less the same as a d2 condenser head?
-Lew

Old January 4th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
"lew" wrote:

I'm looking for a condenser head for my zone vi enlarger and I understand
that the Bessler adapter will work with a d2v head. Problem is, I can't
locate a d2v head. Is it more or less the same as a d2 condenser head?
-Lew

Hey Lew;

Your probably not looking in the correct places then because-

D2v designates the enlarger lamphouse as being a Variable condenser
model. The Current D-2 v is what Omega still makes, prior to about 1946?
before 35mm was common there was only a D2 condenser lamphouse without
the variable condenser- To recall there were even some refits of the
older lamphouses to make them Variable in nature.

Additionally there were D6 Prolabs that had a lever to move the
variable condensers up and down as well as D3 & 4 auto focusing
models which more than less describes the chassis versus the
lamphouse which aside from the original model D has relatively remained
the same.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old January 4th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

So, if I understand you, a d2 head will fit, but it won't be "variable."
Does variable mean that the condensers can be moved around to allow for
different negative sizes? If so, what's the largest size?
-Lew

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com

Old January 5th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
"lew" wrote:

So, if I understand you, a d2 head will fit, but it won't be "variable."
Does variable mean that the condensers can be moved around to allow for
different negative sizes? If so, what's the largest size?
-Lew

First you "ll need to establish whether the lamp house in question
is variable or not. Usually there is a flip up door (under the front
name plate that Says OMEGA). Inside the door there are usually
three slots or shelfs-each represents a position the "variable
condensor" can go into. Usually there is a diagram on the back of the
door that describes the position for the variable condenser, for the
focal length lens you are using at the time.

You could also ask Harry Taylor (Is he still around and well?)
where the serial numbers changed on old lamphouses to the
newer style VC condenser head. Almost guaranteed Omega can't tell you.

Again the thing that complicates it is that some original D2's without
variable condenser were retrofitted to accept a variable condenser
door and shelfs-A box.

You may say why does that matter-

Though Its possible an old D2 will fit a given chassis, the problem
comes from Omega's constant design changes, because over the years they
have made changes to the configuration of the light baffles and other
things on the various modifications of the overall lamp house. They have
also modified the mounting arms several times,...it makes buying a new
lamp house and putting it on a older chassis sometimes a big pain and
the same when buying a new chassis for an old lamphouse.

It hope all this helps :-)
Old January 5th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

A D-2 will have a round aluminum "coffee can" with a pair of 6" (approx.)
plano-convex condensers with the round surfaces facing each other. There
are also smaller condenser sets for roll film and 35mm that sit centered
inside a larger can.

A D-2V adds a box to the top of the 6"condenser pair, the box has slots that
will allow a third smaller condenser to sit in the box at different
heights--moving this third lens focused the light from the lamphouse into a
larger or smaller cone for different film formats. You can also lay 6"
square VC filters in the bottom of the box (on top of the 6" round
condenser) for VC papers.

D2-V's are very popular and often people will buy an entire enlarger (at
today's prices) just to get their hands on the lamphouse assy.

--
darkroommike

t...

Old January 5th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I should have added that the Omega D-2 6" condenser set covers 4x5 (more or
less) like the condenser set for the 45M series Beseler, the discontinued
Beseler CB series had slightly larger condensers and superior coverage of
4x5 negatives.

BTW eBay currently has a D-2 with D-2v lamphouse offered if you want to see
a picture.
--
darkroommike

"Mike King" wrote in message
[...]

t...

Old January 5th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
"lew" wrote:

re the filters... any danger of their being damaged due to heat build up?

Omega sells Heat absorbing glass specifically cut to the
size that allows it to go inside the condenser lamp house.
You put gelatin VC filters above it.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old January 5th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

The polyester VC (and CC) filters are pretty tough--material is similar to
the Rosco material for stage lights. Even if the filters would warp a bit
they are out of the image path, above the fixed condensers, and will not
affect image quality. Nor do they fade, much, since they are exposed to
light for only short periods of time. You can add a piece of heat adsorbing
glass above the filters in the VC (here meaning variable condenser rather
than variable contrast) lamphouse.

--
darkroommike
"Mike King" wrote in message
[...]

t...

Old January 7th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Ok, I'm looking at the eBay offerings. They both need electrical work. Do
the lamphouses use 110-120 directly or will I need a power supply as well?
-Lew

Old Omega Cold Light John In The Darkroom 0 January 2nd 06 10:55 AM
Old Omega Cold Light Mike King In The Darkroom 1 January 1st 06 08:08 PM