D70 blurry images help

Old August 31st 04, 05:53 PM
ade

Default D70 blurry images help

I am wondering if someone can help me here. Being quite new to DSLR's having
previously used the fuji s602 zoom. I upgraded to the D70 and a nikkor AF
70 -300 mm lens. I know it is not the best lens..but was the best affordable
at the time. My problem is this....even when using the tripod my shots are
all blurred. They were better on the fuji with a 2X converter.

Old August 31st 04, 06:18 PM
BobS

If you're zoomed all the way out, that lens is effectively a 450mm tele when
it's on the D70. As I recall, the D70 has the same size sensor as my Pentax
*ist and means you have a 1.5x multiplier factor. The least bit of touching
will cause motion blur. I've ordered the electronic cable release to
overcome that problem, you may have to do the same.

Bob S.

k...

Old August 31st 04, 06:40 PM
Guy Scharf

"ade" wrote:

I am wondering if someone can help me here. Being quite new to
DSLR's having previously used the fuji s602 zoom. I upgraded to
the D70 and a nikkor AF 70 -300 mm lens. I know it is not the best
lens..but was the best affordable at the time. My problem is
this....even when using the tripod my shots are all blurred. They
were better on the fuji with a 2X converter.

I recommend you post a message on the D70 forum on www.dpreview.com and
ask for help there. Be sure to include some images. It's difficult to
offer any advice without seeing images and assessing the nature of the
blur.

Guy

Old August 31st 04, 07:43 PM
dylan

I'm not a D70 user but..
Is the AF switched on ?
Do they look focussed in the view finder ?
What aperture and shutter speed was recorded ?
Can you upload any pics to a website so we can see how blurred ?

k...

Old August 31st 04, 09:50 PM
John S

"ade" wrote in message
k...
I am wondering if someone can help me here. Being quite new to DSLR's

having
previously used the fuji s602 zoom. I upgraded to the D70 and a nikkor AF
70 -300 mm lens. I know it is not the best lens..but was the best

affordable
at the time. My problem is this....even when using the tripod my shots are
all blurred. They were better on the fuji with a 2X converter.

I have this lens and the d70 and it is reasonably sharp. Works best with
plenty of light, f/8 is the sweet spot focus-wise. Remember the 1/lens
length rule for handheld shooting (shutter of 1/300 min, 1/250 works OK on
this lense since it is pretty light weight).

On a tripod, use the self-timer or get a remote to trigger the shutter if
you are going for slow shutter speed. A rickey tripod isn't any better then
handheld. Prefocus once by hand after framing, even if you are using a
timed/remote release as the lense won't need to move much, if at all. Boost
ISO if you can trade a little noise for shaper focus. Make sure it's
actually focusing on the desired point (I keep mine in center focus mode)
and also make sure you've not got a really narrow DOF because of a wide-open
lens - unless that's what you're going for. If you are, obviously making
sure it's focusing exactly where you want is critical. And do swing by
dpreview.com's d70 forum

Old August 31st 04, 10:50 PM
Jimmy Smith

Is the picture in focus to begin with? Are you using a flimsy tripod? Are
the pictures ever in focus? What if you try different distance photos? Do
any of them work?

k...