Bronica lenses - a few questions if I may

Old February 8th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Bronica lenses - a few questions if I may

Hi folks,

coming from an extensive background in 35mm, I'm about to launch my
unsuspecting self into M/F, most likely with a Bronica ETR system. My main
uses will be:

- candid portraits in the 3rd world
- landscape and lifestyle shots in the 3rd world
- some general landscape/people shots on my travels around Oz
- almost exclusively shooting Velvia/Provia

I've chosen the Bronica over Hasselblad for a combination of price and
useability considerations (from what I've Googled).

Here are the questions:

- should I be hung up on the differences between the PE and older MC lenses?
- I was considering the classic 50mm/75mm/150mm combo for starters - any
other suggestions?
- would a 40mm be more likely to provide greater flexibility than a 50mm (or
should I buy both)?
- do the 40/50mm lenses give much fall-off around the edges (like the 45mm
on the XPan)?
- if I was to purchase a Bronica 645RF body, are the ETR system lenses
interchangeable (my guess is not...)?

Any thoughts on the above will be greatly appreciated.

Many regards,
David E (Sydney, Aust)

Old February 8th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"UC" wrote in message
ups.com...
Surely you must know Bronica is defunct!

Yes indeed - and that's more (buying) power to us consumers. Really this is
a first foray into the format for me and if it's what I'm hoping it will be,
then lookout mortgate - Hassy + Phase One back +..... etc. :-)

There is a lot on offer on EBay for Bronica and so I'm finding myself a
touch confused on the choice issue. Luckily I also have access to a trained
Bronica technician here in Sydney if needs be. However, things are so cheap
you'd probably be better off replacing dead items!

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney)

Old February 8th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"UC" wrote in message
oups.com...
I can only urge you to buy Hasselblad. Nothing else comes close.

Yes, that's certainly been a consideration. However, it's teeth cutting
time right now - and in the process I'll develop a base of equipment (M/F
film scanner) and technique, ready for the next step. I'm told that out
there in the sort of crazy remote places I spend so much time, a Blad will
be far less convenient than a Bronica (esp. the 645RF if I get one of those
as well) and I want a relatively painless entre at this point.

Plenty of time for Blad in the future. Nice to have choice though eh?

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney)

Old February 8th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Dave E wrote:
Hi folks,

coming from an extensive background in 35mm, I'm about to launch my
unsuspecting self into M/F, most likely with a Bronica ETR system. My main
uses will be:

- candid portraits in the 3rd world
- landscape and lifestyle shots in the 3rd world
- some general landscape/people shots on my travels around Oz
- almost exclusively shooting Velvia/Provia

I've chosen the Bronica over Hasselblad for a combination of price and
useability considerations (from what I've Googled).

Here are the questions:

- should I be hung up on the differences between the PE and older MC lenses?

Depends on the price difference and condition. Poor condition PEs will be
worse then good condition MC. Plus it's not like they made the MC and then
sat on them for years until the PE line came out. Others will tell you the
PEs are much better. From what I've seen my PEs [75mm and 150mm] don't
produce better prints then my MCs.

- I was considering the classic 50mm/75mm/150mm combo for starters - any
other suggestions?

Depends what you like. The 105mm non-macro can be a cheap addition. A
little extra length then the 75 but still relatively small. OTOH it was
never released in the PE line and will be older. Also doesn't seem that
common.

- would a 40mm be more likely to provide greater flexibility than a 50mm (or
should I buy both)?

They both can be fairly cheap. They both use the same hood. Is it worth
buying both? Not sure and I've got both. OTOH my 50mm was fairly cheap when
I bought it.

- do the 40/50mm lenses give much fall-off around the edges (like the 45mm
on the XPan)?

I haven't seen anything but then I haven't taken the densiometer to them
either. Nor do I shoot test charts.

- if I was to purchase a Bronica 645RF body, are the ETR system lenses
interchangeable (my guess is not...)?

Nope.

If you use flash keep an eye out for the Metz module. New it's damn
expensive but used it's much more reasonable. It'll give you a very accurate
flash setup. Consider getting a motor grip or maybe the speed grip. It
really balances out the camera when used handheld. The last model uses
different batteries but the model before that used AAs.

--
---------------------------------------
"Digital the new ice fishing"
Old February 8th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"UC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Blads are cheap on the used market right now. I'd say that's the best
choice, in all honesty. I've sold 'em and used 'em...

Well, thanks for your perspective. I also have perspectives from many
others and my conclusion is that the Bronica will suit my needs for now,
understanding that the Hassy will probably produce better results. I'll
leave that for the future.

Having said that - I'm still interested in any feedback from anyone on my
initial questions. :-)

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney, Aust)

Old February 8th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Dave E wrote:
"UC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Blads are cheap on the used market right now. I'd say that's the best
choice, in all honesty. I've sold 'em and used 'em...

Well, thanks for your perspective. I also have perspectives from many
others and my conclusion is that the Bronica will suit my needs for now,
understanding that the Hassy will probably produce better results. I'll
leave that for the future.

Having said that - I'm still interested in any feedback from anyone on my
initial questions. :-)

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney, Aust)

Well, don't say I didn't warn you (by the way, this happens all the
time)...