SD card gone kaput? Help?

Old November 23rd 05, 06:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default SD card gone kaput? Help?

I've got a SanDisk 512 SD card, and I just got a Nikon D50 DSLR camera.
I took it out about 10 days ago and took 200 pics, some of them
actually GOOD. Took the SD card out, and with a
USB-based-SD-card-reader I look at 'em and showed 'em around and so on.

I left the SD card sitting in the USB reader sticking out of the USB
port on the outside of my PC (WinXP). This may have been my mistake.

Today I went to move the pictures onto the hard drive, edit 'em and
post 'em on flickr. I can't. The Removable Drive shows up in My
Computer, but I can't open. I can't right click on it. It just goes
into deep slowdown mode and often requires me to force-quit
Explorer.exe - or else times out.

I tried using another card (in fact, a memory stick) in the same USB
reader and that works fine. It's not the reader. I put the card back in
the camera. Oh-oh. "This card cannnot be used"

I tried this on another PC and it's the same thing.

Have I trashed the card? Was it from sitting out? If Windows won't
recognize it, I can't even reformat it, let alone get the pictures off
of it?

Any ideas or experiences here?

Old November 23rd 05, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:
[...]

There are a couple of things to think about here -

First of all see if you have done something really silly and you are
putting the card in the card reader upside down. (Don't laugh, I have
done this myself and then I wonder why the computer can't find the
card!)

If this is not the case, and you are putting the card in the reader
correctly run a virus scan on your computer and see if you have a virus
that is corrupting removable media. (This is not a good thing to have
happen, and not fun to deal with, but it does happen once in a while.)
If this is the case you can try and fix the problem with the anti-virus
software, or you can throw out the card and get a new card. You still
have to fix the virus problem on your computer either way.

Next you can attempt to format the card inside your camera, if the
camera finds the card.
You can also attempt to format the card in the card reader. This is
recommended against by most of the card manufactures and by the camera
manufactures, but sometimes it is the only way to save a card. (This
is on a Windows box.)

Also, if you have an external card reader, you can try plugging it into
a different usb port and see if that helps you find the card.
Sometimes one usb port will find a card when another usb port wont.
(I have no idea why?)

Also, you might find someone with a Mac or a Linux box and see if they
can read your card with a card reader on their machine. Different OS's
sometimes read the cards differently.
If a Mac or a Linux box can read the card, you might consider
reformating the card with that machine. Again this is a risky thing to
do.

You also might contact the manufacturer of the card and ask them about
the not being able to be read by anything. They may have some faulty
card floating around. (There were some faulty CF cards a while back
from one manufacture, so it is possible that there is another type of
faulty cards floating around.)

Hope this helps,

roland

Old November 23rd 05, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 23 Nov 2005 09:05:53 -0800, wrote:

[...]

I've used Zero Assumption software for this many times, with excellent
success.
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htm
It's free, too.
It may take some time, but it usually works.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old November 23rd 05, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 23 Nov 2005 09:05:53 -0800, wrote:

I tried this on another PC and it's the same thing.

Have I trashed the card? Was it from sitting out? If Windows won't
recognize it, I can't even reformat it, let alone get the pictures off
of it?

My computer starts up with the Task Scheduler running, and I
usually disable it within minutes of rebooting. If I don't, it's
not uncommon for me to return to the computer to see ScanDisk
active. I'm sure that many times utility programs such as this have
run to completion and exited without me being aware that they had
run. If you also have an active task scheduler, see if anything
like ScanDisk or a Disk Defragmenter are included in the list of
scheduled programs. I don't know if running either of these would
cause problems with any particular card in your card reader, but
it's a possibility. FWIW, if I boot up with a card in my card
reader (SCSI bus, not USB) I get a popup message saying that the
card needs to be formatted. I've always declined, as I have no
problem copying files from or to the card, and suspect that if I
allowed the card to be formatted, it would end up being not
recognized by my camera. Sorry, but I don't know what will help
with your card, but perhaps a shareware disk utility, or a
commercial one such as Partition Magic might be able to bring the
card back to life, even if the old contents are lost.

Old November 23rd 05, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I used File Scavenger to retrieve (most?) of the pictures from the SD -
I was surprised that it worked, but it seemed to get most of 'em, so
there we go. Not sure what to do with this card at this point, if I
should throw it away as untrustworthy, or see if I can force a format
to happen with a utility and then try it again (but never again leaving
it attached to the PC for days at a time).

Old November 23rd 05, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I had a faulty SD card once. Turned out, it was a bad batch that had
been recalled by the manufacturer (HP/Compaq), they sent me a free
replacement after I had verified my card's batch number with their
website.

Anabella M.

Old November 24th 05, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I actually managed to format the card after getting the pictures off of
it and it seems fine now. But of course, I'm nervous about what'll
happen "next time"