Panasonic FZ3 Vs S1 IS

Old February 12th 05, 02:26 PM
True211

"David J Taylor" wrote in message

BTW: Canon (as I recall) promise "20 new digital cameras" last year. Did
they deliver on what they promised? (Just for interest - I'm not trying
to say they did or they did not).

I count 19 announcements in 2004:

Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Canon PowerShot S410 (Digital IXUS 430)
Canon PowerShot SD110 (Digital IXUS IIs)
Canon PowerShot A75
Canon PowerShot A310
Canon PowerShot S500 (Digital IXUS 500)
Canon PowerShot Pro1
Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Canon PowerShot S60
Canon PowerShot A85
Canon PowerShot G6
Canon EOS 20D
Canon PowerShot A400
Canon PowerShot A95
Canon PowerShot S70
Canon PowerShot SD20 (Digital IXUS i5)
Canon PowerShot SD200 (Digital IXUS 30)
Canon PowerShot SD300 (Digital IXUS 40)
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II

I wonder which model didn't make it!?!

Old February 12th 05, 03:49 PM
David J Taylor

True211 wrote:
"David J Taylor" wrote in message

BTW: Canon (as I recall) promise "20 new digital cameras" last year.
Did they deliver on what they promised? (Just for interest - I'm
not trying to say they did or they did not).

I count 19 announcements in 2004:

[]
I wonder which model didn't make it!?!

I'll forgive them a 5% error margin! G

David

Old February 12th 05, 04:23 PM
True211

True211 wrote:
"David J Taylor" wrote in message

BTW: Canon (as I recall) promise "20 new digital cameras" last year.
Did they deliver on what they promised? (Just for interest - I'm
not trying to say they did or they did not).

I count 19 announcements in 2004:

[]
I wonder which model didn't make it!?!

I'll forgive them a 5% error margin! G

They were probably planning to get the 8MP followup to the Rebel 300D out
sooner, but it didn't work out. That's my guess.

Old February 12th 05, 06:48 PM
Lisa Horton

David J Taylor wrote:

True211 wrote:
[]
Go with the Canon. You will not regret it.

Is it about time that Canon brought out a 5MP camera with IS? 3MP is only
marginally adequate these days....

If you mostly make small prints, like 4x6, with an occasional 8x10 and
nothing larger, 3MP is fine, far more than "marginally adequate". If
you don't make larger prints, and don't often crop extensively, the
extra MP don't really get you any real benefit, but do take more space
on memory cards, hard disks, and backup media.

Lisa
Old February 12th 05, 07:36 PM
David J Taylor

Lisa Horton wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

True211 wrote:
[]
Go with the Canon. You will not regret it.

Is it about time that Canon brought out a 5MP camera with IS? 3MP
is only marginally adequate these days....

If you mostly make small prints, like 4x6, with an occasional 8x10 and
nothing larger, 3MP is fine, far more than "marginally adequate". If
you don't make larger prints, and don't often crop extensively, the
extra MP don't really get you any real benefit, but do take more space
on memory cards, hard disks, and backup media.

Lisa

Lisa,

I think we are saying the same thing but with a different emphasis - I did
say adequate, but qualified it with marginal because of the cropping and
large print issues you mentioned. Yes, I have seen good 10 x 8 (actually
A4 size) print from 3MP, but going to 5MP or 8MP does give a perceptibly
improved quality. Perhaps "just adequate" would have been a better
description.

Cheers,
David

Old February 13th 05, 12:33 PM
Thad

Lisa Horton wrote:

David J Taylor wrote:

True211 wrote:
[]
Go with the Canon. You will not regret it.

Is it about time that Canon brought out a 5MP camera with IS? 3MP is only
marginally adequate these days....

If you mostly make small prints, like 4x6, with an occasional 8x10 and
nothing larger, 3MP is fine, far more than "marginally adequate"

That doesn't even come close to 300 PPI, which is a good measure of
"photo quality". I find that 3MP images start to look soft at sizes
larger than 5 X 7.

--

Thaddeus Lip****z
Old February 13th 05, 10:27 PM
Lisa Horton

Thad wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

David J Taylor wrote:

True211 wrote:
[]
Go with the Canon. You will not regret it.

Is it about time that Canon brought out a 5MP camera with IS? 3MP is only
marginally adequate these days....

If you mostly make small prints, like 4x6, with an occasional 8x10 and
nothing larger, 3MP is fine, far more than "marginally adequate"

That doesn't even come close to 300 PPI, which is a good measure of
"photo quality". I find that 3MP images start to look soft at sizes
larger than 5 X 7.

You sure about that? My 3MP camera produces files that are 2048x1536,
about right for a 4x5 at 300DPI or so.

Otherwise, yes, they do start looking soft at sizes larger than that,
but likely no worse than the typical consumer is used to from their P&S
or disposable.

But the point I was trying to make though, is that if you mainly print
4x6 (or 4x5, as appropriate), and rarely print larger sizes, 3MP is
plenty sufficient for that size of print, without unecessary usage of
storage resources.

Lisa

PS: odd followup you have set there...