35mm slides from digital images

Old December 1st 04, 12:24 PM
Dave

zeitgeist wrote:
of course these things are SCSI or parallel cabled but that's
not that hard.

And SCSI is very good too. Parallel is quite slow in comparison to SCSI.

SCSI controllers and other SCSI bits are not very cheap, but have stood
the test of time very well indeed. Whereas other computers technologies
have come and gone (old tape formats, zip drives, magneto optic drives,
5.25" floppy drives, even to a certain extent 3.5" floppy drive), SCSI
is still going very strong, and offers excellent backs compatibility.

The latest generation of SCSI disks+controllers can move 320MB/s - yes
320 Mega bytes/second peak. And SCSI is still being improved. Yet those
same 320MB/s disks will fit in machines that have old controllers of 5
MB/s. They just run at 5MB/s.

SCSI disks made 20 odd years ago are still usable into todays top of the
line computers. Of course, you might not feel a great need to use a 1GB
SCSI disk in really new PC, but they are usable if you want to get data
from them.

Likewise I can fit SCSI disks of over 100 GB in my old Sun workstations,
which were made over 20 years ago. In practice I do not, but have fitted
36GB disks in machines of 20 years old. Works fine. Of course
performance is limited by the old computer, but everything works.

I can't predict the future, but I don't see USB staying around as long
as SCSI will. Likewise with firewire.

Soon I expect all these USB digital cameras will be practically
unusable. That was *one* part of my decision to buy a Nikon F6. I
suspect 35mm film will be around long after USB has disappeared.
Although I have a digital camera (Fuji Finepix 6900), I am well aware of
its limitations, and reckon it will have a short lifetime.

Old December 1st 04, 02:41 PM
Skip M

"Brian C. Baird" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...

Has anyone tried this? Results?
http://www.iprintfromhome.com/image_...5406&pid=66497
http://www.iprintfromhome.com/

The max res is 2732 x 4096 (11.2 Mpix)

$2.49 for 1 slide; 1.25 per additional slide of same image.

Sounds interesting. At $2.50 a pop, doesn't sound like too much to try
them out, unless they have prohibitively high shipping costs or insane
minimum orders.

Additionally, I don't know what the hell I'd do with them. I haven't
projected slides in... forever.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

One of the oddities of the art world is that some shows require slides for
entries, but won't take digital files. So, you have to take your digital
file and convert it to a slide, so that you can send it in for them to
(supposedly) pop into a projector and view at many times the size of the
original, then send you an email of rejection...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com