Slide scanning questions

Old September 26th 04, 09:32 PM
Michael A. Covington

Default Slide scanning questions

I have a substantial number (240) of slides from 30 years ago that I need to
scan.

I have a Coolscan III, which produces beautiful scans but takes 1 minute per
slide. I figure I can average 40 slides per hour scanned, processed, and
saved with meaningful names. That means it's a 6-hour project.

I also have the slide copying adapter for my Coolpix 990, but have not been
satisfied with the quality.

My questions:

(1) Can someone recommend a commercial slide scanning service that can
accept slides in Carousel trays and return them to me in the same trays (in
the same positions)?

(2) Are newer slide scanners faster? Something equal to the Coolscan III in
quality but 3 times faster would be very welcome.

BTW, these are relatively casual snapshots and 900 dpi scans are sufficient.
I'm more concerned about exposure metering and automatic dust and spot
removal. Automatic compensation for fading cyan dyes (E-4) would be very
welcome.

Many thanks!

--
Clear skies,

Michael A. Covington
www.covingtoninnovations.com/astromenu.html

Old September 26th 04, 09:41 PM
Michael Weinstein

On 2004-09-26 16:32:29 -0400, "Michael A. Covington"
said:

[...]

If you are satisfied with the scan quality, it seems to me that 6 hours
is not a lot to invest.
--
Michael Weinstein | "Those who cannot remember the
Nashua, NH | past are condemned to repeat it."

Old September 26th 04, 09:41 PM
Michael Weinstein

Old September 26th 04, 09:47 PM
Frank ess

Michael A. Covington wrote:
[...]

My Epson 4870 (flatbed )will do four or five slides at a time, comes
with Digital Ice and plenty of compensating tools. I've no experience at
using it for those purposes, but they are there, and must be of some use
in lowering your time investment.

--
Frank ess

Old September 26th 04, 10:09 PM
Mark M

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message
I have a substantial number (240) of slides from 30 years ago that I need

scan.

I have a Coolscan III, which produces beautiful scans but takes 1 minute

per
slide. I figure I can average 40 slides per hour scanned, processed, and
saved with meaningful names. That means it's a 6-hour project.

I also have the slide copying adapter for my Coolpix 990, but have not

been
satisfied with the quality.

My questions:

(1) Can someone recommend a commercial slide scanning service that can
accept slides in Carousel trays and return them to me in the same trays

(in
the same positions)?

So you'd rather spend those same 6 hours...

Finding a service...
Driving to that service...
Paying your money for questionable quality results at that service...
Waiting...
Driving back to pick them up...
-And whatever other messing around you'll inevitably do...

Seems to me 6 hours isn't all too bad after all!

Old September 26th 04, 10:54 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Mark M" wrote in message

Seems to me 6 hours isn't all too bad after all!

That's about what I've concluded, because on each slide, I can do about 1
minute of scanning and 1 minute of image processing (my way), and save it
with a suitable name. That works out to 2 minutes per slide (or more)... a
fairly lengthy project... but high quality.