velvia, saturation, medium format and digital

Old September 2nd 04, 10:24 PM
Gordon Moat

Steve Lefevre wrote:

"Geshu Iam" wrote in message
om...
"Steve Lefevre" wrote in message

... How do you measure color accuracy? Is there
a subjective element to a person's experience of the color ...

When you approaching a traffic light, can you tell the difference
between the light colors? Is it subjective or objective? Of course
anyone can measure the color accuracy, it's just that some think color
accuracy does not matter to some degree. And that is a matter of
taste.

So what film is the most accurate?

Kodak claims that Ektachrome 64 Professional is the most colour accurate film
they sell. Some other photographers might tell you that they get better
colour accuracy using Professional Kodachrome 64.

In general, if you go for a higher saturation film, you can always knock the
saturation down a bit for printing. In that case, choosing Velvia, or E100VS,
or similar, might allow more room to get what you feel best matches the
colour in the final printed image.

Here's my thing. I like walking around in nature, looking at little things
like veins in leaves, insects, patterns of insect holes in bark. I've been
extremely unimpressed with my photographs, but the photos shot with velvia
seem to most accurately re-create *my experience* in nature. I'm trying to
figure out if my attitude towards nature brightens what I perceive, or if
actually regular film is dull, as one of the velvia-using nature
photograhers told me.

That could be the situation. I think the idea of lush green plants, and
vibrant nature, could enhance the memory of these places. It is always easier
to lower saturation, than to increase it. While imaging software can be used
to boost colour saturation, it can often look much more "unnatural" than just
using a highly saturated film.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com/gallery.html Updated!

Old September 3rd 04, 01:53 PM
DaveHodge

Digital also has some
unanswered conservation and archival questions that the real answers won't
be known for say, 100 years (will someone still have a CD-ROM reader
available? ex.: who has a 5.25" floppy drive anymore? 8" floppy?, etc...)

The "Plugged In" column in the Baltimore Sun a couple of weeks ago reported
that the National Archives is developing a universal digital storage format,
from which data can be converted to whatever storage or playback technology
happens to be in use at any time in the future. I'm not sure how or if this
technology will be available to the general public or whether it will be
affordable for the average person. But there will probably be companies that
will convert data from one format to another for a fee, just as there are
companies today that will tramsfer old home movies to video tape or DVD's.

About 30 years ago I was involved in a NATO group on image processing, and we
had the problem of exchanging data among labs with different storage media
(7-track vs 9-track tape, different start and stop bits, end of file bits,
etc.). Our solution was to develop a "transfer format" such that one lab could
transform their data into the transfer format, and the receiving lab could
transform the data into their format. It worked very well and became a NATO
standard.

So people are definitely working on the long-term data storage issues. And
successes are in sight.

Best regards from the top of the Chesapeake Bay--

Old September 5th 04, 02:30 AM
Geshu Iam

"Steve Lefevre" wrote in message ...

So what film is the most accurate?

It depends on accurate for what. The old Kodak might be more accurate
for the mid grey, white, and skin tone, while Fiji might be more
accurate for the intensed colors. Personally I feel the old Kodachrome
has the best skin tone and the best balanced vividity and fidelity.
Now people may debate it's either Kodachrome of Fuji's Astia for the
most pleasing skin tone.

But Velvia? lots of people would easily agree that, if color accuracy
is the goal, this is the last film you should consider.