Canon 40D Noise @ ISO 800-1600

Old December 15th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ali[_3_]

Default Canon 40D Noise @ ISO 800-1600

Anyone done any noise comparisons between the 20D/30D and the 40D, mainly at
ISO 800-1600 (without the noise reduction feature on)?

Is the 40D noisier due to smaller pixel pitch? I have heard that the
metering on the 40D keeps the shutter open for longer than the 20D/30D under
the same conditions, maybe to help reduce noise?

Old December 15th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Dec 15, 12:39 pm, "Ali" wrote:
Anyone done any noise comparisons between the 20D/30D and the 40D, mainly at
ISO 800-1600 (without the noise reduction feature on)?

Is the 40D noisier due to smaller pixel pitch? I have heard that the
metering on the 40D keeps the shutter open for longer than the 20D/30D under
the same conditions, maybe to help reduce noise?

You can check some shots taken at various ISOs between 40D and Xti, as
well as many other cameras. I could not find i,age comparison with the
5D, 20D or 30D though.
Check it out at
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
and pick the cameras from a list for comparisons
I hope that this help you
Old December 16th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dirty Harry

"Ali" wrote in message
Anyone done any noise comparisons between the 20D/30D and the 40D, mainly
at ISO 800-1600 (without the noise reduction feature on)?

Is the 40D noisier due to smaller pixel pitch? I have heard that the
metering on the 40D keeps the shutter open for longer than the 20D/30D
under the same conditions, maybe to help reduce noise?

Check dpreview.com, I think they have noise graphs on there.

Old December 16th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Pugh[_3_]

In message , Ali
writes
Anyone done any noise comparisons between the 20D/30D and the 40D,
mainly at ISO 800-1600 (without the noise reduction feature on)?

Is the 40D noisier due to smaller pixel pitch? I have heard that the
metering on the 40D keeps the shutter open for longer than the 20D/30D
under the same conditions, maybe to help reduce noise?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...igital-SLR-Cam
era-Review.aspx

Neil Pugh

Old December 16th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Annika1980

On Dec 15, 1:39 pm, "Ali" wrote:
Anyone done any noise comparisons between the 20D/30D and the 40D, mainly at
ISO 800-1600 (without the noise reduction feature on)?

Is the 40D noisier due to smaller pixel pitch? I have heard that the
metering on the 40D keeps the shutter open for longer than the 20D/30D under
the same conditions, maybe to help reduce noise?

I just did a quick comparison of my 20D and my 40D. I shot a Gretag
MacBeth Colorchecker chart at each ISO. You would be hard pressed to
tell the difference between them, except for the larger image size
from the 40D.

Here are two actual size crops from the comparison: