help needed on portable storage devices

Old July 11th 04, 04:04 AM
Mark Panszky

Default help needed on portable storage devices

Hi All,

I am looking for a portable storage solution for storing pictures while
travelling (travelling with a laptop is not an option for me). I am
looking for input on the following devices from anyone who uses/used any
of these products:

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.n.../category.3/.f

http://store.wolverinedata.com/dr/v2...P=0&CACHE_ID=0

My main concerns a

1. transfer speed from CF card to device. (most important!)
2. price
3. battery power

"Emptying" the device to the PC is not really a concern. (I have time
:-)) Right now I'm leaning towards the Vosonic X's-Drive II but I'm also
concerned about its operating temperatures (0 C - 70 C) Does that mean I
can't use the device under freezing point?

I also like the Apacer Disc Steno CP-100 (looks like the most cost
effective solution) but I'm concerned about battery power, and speed and
it may be a bit cumbersome to handle all those CDs on the road.

I must also mention that I live in Korea now where I can get a 2.5" HD
for a fairly cheap price.

Any input is appreciated,

Thanks,

Mark

Old July 11th 04, 01:08 PM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Mark Panszky" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I bought a 40 GB "Tripper" from mydigitaldiscount. My first use was
on a trip to Florida. Battery life was fine, I was able to download
pictures from by 256 MB CF cards and the battery never failed. It
should last at least 1 1/2 hours on a full charge and that was always
more than I needed since the transfer time from card to Tripper was
extremely fast.

Old July 11th 04, 01:33 PM
Mark Panszky

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me approx. how long it takes to
transfer files from the 256 MB card? Also are you able to upload files
from the HD to the CF cards and can you create folders on the device? (I
am also thinking of storing MP3s on it and uploading them to my MP3
player while on the road?)

Thanks,
Mark

Old July 12th 04, 12:32 AM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Mark Panszky" wrote in
message ...
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me approx. how long it takes to
transfer files from the 256 MB card? Also are you able to upload

files
from the HD to the CF cards and can you create folders on the

device? (I
am also thinking of storing MP3s on it and uploading them to my MP3
player while on the road?)

Thanks,
Mark

I just used it today for the first time in months. It takes one minute
and 45 seconds to download 256 megs onto it.

You can use the Tripper as a portable hard drive - you can upload
files from your PC onto it, create folders, etc. Sounds like it is
what you're looking for. The Image Tank and Xs-Drive also fit the
bill.

Old July 12th 04, 02:02 AM
Fr@nk

"Mark Panszky" wrote in message
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me approx. how long it takes to
transfer files from the 256 MB card? Also are you able to upload files
from the HD to the CF cards and can you create folders on the device? (I
am also thinking of storing MP3s on it and uploading them to my MP3
player while on the road?)

Thanks,
Mark

Something like the Archos hard drive devices can do all these things: serve
as PC external HD, receive dumps from CF card, AND play MP3s. I have a
year-and-a-half old Archos Jukebox Multimedia, but I'm sure the ones they
make now do even more--I think you'd be interested in their Gmini devices.
Prices are pretty good too.

Old July 12th 04, 09:17 AM
Elliott

I have the Apacer Disk steno,,,
it works perfectly, I bit heavy to carry but i am able to download 512k
from my canon 10d . never had any problems and writes cd's perfectly. very
useful when traveling for prolonged periods of time.

Elliott

Old July 12th 04, 03:27 PM
Mark Panszky

Thanks again. Just a few more questions. Can the device transfer files
to the CF card? (I'm thinking of using a CF adapter to upload MP3s to an
SD card) and if yes can you create folders and navigate between the
files? (eg. can you view file names?)

Thanks,
Mark

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:

"Mark Panszky" wrote in
message ...

Old July 15th 04, 01:27 PM
jim

Although I'm no professional and I'm not sure about the operating
temeratures - I have a GMINI 220 which i used on Holiday which enabled
me to take 1.5Gb of pics with my Canon S50. Transfer speeds were good
though i have no numbers. You CANNOT write back to the card, just
read. Battery life - built in lithium quoted as up to 10 hours but
much dependent on use. if used as an MP3 player you'll get about 5 or
6 hrs play. I'm not sure if the spinning hard drive for copying uses
more or less power than the amp to drive headphones. Very small and
portable. Photo viewer is poor but will allow you to tell what a shot
is but thats about it (they have an AVplayer with a colour screen).
Dissapointed that it will not power itself from the USB port alone so
charger needed.

See these reviews - the thailand one may be of particular interest
because the guy is into photography and CF storage was his main
concern.

http://www.stephenvoss.com/Gmini220/

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/335/C2564/

Other advantage of course is that when away from home you can have all
of your music collection with you!

Overall I'm very pleased but as I said I'm no professional. Note that
lithium batteries are very temperature sensetive!

Jim

Old July 15th 04, 01:31 PM
jim

I forgot to mention - Did you know people are breaking open Creative
Muvo 2s in order to get the Hitachi 4Gb Microdrives out. Not sure if
they have made changes to prevent this yet but its very cost
effective. Search the web for how to do it. Mini Ipods apparently have
the same drives but dont know if they are removable.