Casio QV-R61

Old November 25th 04, 07:20 AM
azscrewdriver

Default Casio QV-R61

Has anybody seen a review of this camera? I want to see some sample
pictures. Does anyone have one?

thanks

Old November 25th 04, 04:04 PM
Sabineellen

Hi, i considered this camera and searched for reviews but found none. It's a
follow-up to the award-winning and excellent qv-r61. If it uses the same
processing then I expect the images to be equally excellent. I considered it
but then chose to get a camera with full manual controls and raw, as the qv-r61
only has scene modes and jpeg. But for a compact P&S, this camera would
probably be one of my top choices, if it's actually as good as the qv-r51, and
if it can focus reliably in low light. the qv-r51 didn't have an af-assist
light, but the qv-r61 has some focus feature over the qv-r51 but i'm not sure
if it's af-assist or what.

Old November 25th 04, 07:30 PM
azscrewdriver

Strange that YOU are the same and only person that answered about the Fuji
cameras. Seems that we think alike about cameras.
I keep vacillating between the Fuji 810 and 550 and in looking I found the
announcement about the QV-R61. I still have a QV-2000UX my first digital and
still use it to take pictures through a microscope for work.

I found these pictures taken with the QV-R61 taken by some guy and to me
they don't look just right, many look out of focus. Since they weren't taken
by one of the review sites under similar conditions as other cameras, I'm
afraid to use these pictures to make a decision. What do you think?

http://tarantor.net/casioqvr61/

Old November 25th 04, 09:28 PM
Sabineellen

Strange that YOU are the same and only person that answered about the Fuji
cameras. Seems that we think alike about cameras.
I keep vacillating between the Fuji 810 and 550 and in looking I found the
announcement about the QV-R61. I still have a QV-2000UX my first digital and
still use it to take pictures through a microscope for work.

I found these pictures taken with the QV-R61 taken by some guy and to me
they don't look just right, many look out of focus. Since they weren't taken
by one of the review sites under similar conditions as other cameras, I'm
afraid to use these pictures to make a decision. What do you think?

http://tarantor.net/casioqvr61/

Hi, maybe we do think alike about cameras.

Please note that when I said the QV-R51 it takes excellent photos i meant for a
P&S in its class, size and price. I've never owned it, but I know it won a DIMA
2004 award for image quality, though the main issue that was in consideration i
think was color accuracy. But those images actually look quite similar to what
I would've expected the QV-R51 to look like, though a little too saturated.
Also that it's difficult to judge them because I know the camera has many
different scene modes and I'm not sure what this guy used.

You say out of focus, well that wouldn't surprise me if they are, and here's
why; I'm not sure the camera has a sharp lens, or an accurate focusing
mechanism, and especially in low light. Same applies to HP cameras that are
very good P&Ss but suffer from this soft/poor focusing issue. The Fujis
certainly have sharper lenses. The low light focusing issue is likely to be a
problem for the fuji e550 too since it doesn't have AF-Assist. That was a main
reason for me to decide against both because I do like available light
photography.

I went with the f810 and I like it so far, though i wouldn't say it's really a
P&S camera because its images seem optimized for postprocessing. I wrote about
this on the dpreview fuji talk forum. Go to google and search for "fuji talk",
it will be the first link that comes up. In the forums search for these two
threads "i know why F810 is over contrasty..." and " F810 battery life"; I just
posted an example of the exposure/contrast issue of the f810 before and after
processing in the latter thread. I think you should have a look to know what to
expect before you decide to buy it.

Old November 26th 04, 05:12 PM
azscrewdriver

Thanks I will do. I agree that the R61 was for point and shoot. and I also
totally agree with the focus assist light any decent camera should have one.
I also like available light photography. If the 550 had it I would have
already bought it. For the money I think its hard to beat especially since
they have a $50 rebate going on now. If the 810 had the rebate I would have
bought it.

So what I'm looking for is a smallish camera (pocket size) with a decent
lens, 4x zoom, movie mode with sound, manual control and focus assist light,
under $350.