3/8in tripod head screw

Old November 15th 04, 02:08 PM
jjs

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
If you mean the 115,

Oops!!
Yes, it's the 115. Must be going dislexic...

How many disxexics does it change to take a lightbulb?

Old November 15th 04, 02:48 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in message ...
I am trying to mount my 4x5 MPP Micro-Technical camera on a 3-axis Manfrotto
151 head - firmly.
The camera is fitted with a 3/8in bush, and the tripod head with a 1/4in
male thread. I've tried fitting a 3/8in to 1/4in adapter to the camera's
tripod bush but this does not result in a firm grip. (Tripod head has a
ribbed hard rubber surface, and base of camera has slightly raised tripod
bush edging from adapter (metal), so I guess that the metal edging of the
bush adapter is stopping the rubber surface from contacting more than a few
square mm of the base of the camera.)
Do Manfrotto supply 3/8in tripod screws so that I can dispense with the
3/8in to 1/4in adapter? Trawling around their website has not so far found
anything remotely similar to what's fitted to my 151 head.

Thanks for any ideas - I've already thought of cutting some bicycle inner
tube to make a squashable washer.

The Bogen/Manfrotto web site shows a 1/4-20 mounting screw and knob
so evidently the standard one is the 3/8-18. It should be available
from the company as a part. I don't know who to contact in the UK but
the web site should find a dealer who should be able to find the part
and order it for you.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old November 15th 04, 04:20 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 11/15/2004 6:08 AM jjs spake thus:

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...

If you mean the 115,

Oops!!
Yes, it's the 115. Must be going dislexic...

How many disxexics does it change to take a lightbulb?

Didja hear about the dyslexic insomniac agnostic, who stayed awake all night
wondering if there really was a dog?

--
Don't blame Ralph Nader: blame Gavin Newsom.

Old November 17th 04, 02:25 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
om...
"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in

message ...
I am trying to mount my 4x5 MPP Micro-Technical camera on a 3-axis

Manfrotto
151 head - firmly.

The Bogen/Manfrotto web site shows a 1/4-20 mounting screw and knob
so evidently the standard one is the 3/8-18. It should be available
from the company as a part. I don't know who to contact in the UK but
the web site should find a dealer who should be able to find the part
and order it for you.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Couldn't find any listing on the UK websites for suitable small parts, so

I've now made my own mounting screw using a 2" long 3/8" Whit bolt, and the
1/4" fixing as a model. I don't have a lathe so the last few days have had
me laboriously filing a suitable groove (to engage in the Manfrotto's slot)
in the bolt. The job is now done and my 115 (not 151 as stated wrongly
earlier) holds my MPP 5x4 quite firmly. Weight wise, the MPP is around 1/2
what Manfrotto claims in their adverts for the 115 so I don't expect any
problems here.
To stop rotational motion around the camera's tripod bush axis, I've found
that I needed more friction in this area, and sandwiching a piece of bicycle
inner tube between base of camera and tripod head has done the trick.
Thanks
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK