Setting up home studio - right direction?

Old October 13th 04, 12:16 PM
Matthew H.

To use a one car garage as a studio is fine for up to head and
shoulders portraits, anything further is really out of the question.

I disagree. Almost everything you see on my website (www.erochron.com)
was shot in my 12'x14' basement, with 8' ceilings. There's plenty of
full-body stuff there, and some couples as well. Yeah, OK: there are
things that I couldn't do, but I'm just saying that it isn't
impossible to do full-body stuff in a small space.

----------------------
Erochron
Intimate Portraiture
http://www.erochron.com

(Remove the "-NoCannedMeat-" from my e-mail address
if you want to reply to me via e-mail.).

Matthew

Old October 13th 04, 12:24 PM
McLeod

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:48:08 -0700, "Robert Meyers"
wrote:

My Garage is 18' L x 8'W x 8'H . Opinions?

The width is the seriously limiting factor here. You might be stuck
with head and shoulder shots. You may want to look into Norman (or
Chinese knockoff) type wall mounted booms for space saving reasons.
Some times an open garage door can make a nice even fill light if you
can manage the colour temperature.
Old October 13th 04, 02:09 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Robert Meyers
wrote:

My Garage is 18' L x 8'W x 8'H . Opinions?

When I had the studio, my camera room was 11x21 (10' ceiling).
Old October 13th 04, 02:09 PM
Randall Ainsworth

Old October 14th 04, 07:00 AM
zeitgeist

Head and shoulders, face studies and some seated were what I was

thinking.
Due to space. Beyond that, small product.

Pretty much verifies what I was thinking. One of the reasons I want a
pretty portable kit.

Depending on your garage size you can do quite a bit. I have a single
garage converted from an open carport and I can shoot about 4 people
posed comfortably in a group. It has a 10 ft ceiling and is about 20
ft long, however.

My Garage is 18' L x 8'W x 8'H . Opinions?

width is very narrow, can be dealt with by bouncing your key light off the
side wall, using a boom for hair light. paint the other wall bright white
for a reflector.

height is a very limiting factor. a subject almost six feet tall means you
are already pressing the softbox against the ceiling just to get it eye
level. They make special softbox mounts called Sidewinder (I think that's
just a Larson tradename but the concept is helpful) the light tube fits into
a reflector dome that directs the light so instead of the back of your
monohead sticking up and banging the ceiling when you try to shoot with the
thing tilted down, you get an extra 6 to 12 inches of room.

Old October 14th 04, 08:56 PM
Culedude

Well I had to have a look didn't I?

Most of the images on your site are indeed "head and shoulders"
Yes there are a couple which show the complete person (albeit
kneeling)
The sizes you mention for your garage limit you to h&s unless:
ou use a wider than standard lens for effect or get he subject to wrap
up small (kneel)
The other option you have is to completely paint the garage black,
this way you can use the shadows and open up your options!

culedude

Old October 16th 04, 09:01 PM
zeitgeist

I disagree. Almost everything you see on my website (www.erochron.com)
was shot in my 12'x14' basement, with 8' ceilings. There's plenty of
full-body stuff there, and some couples as well. Yeah, OK: there are
things that I couldn't do, but I'm just saying that it isn't
impossible to do full-body stuff in a small space.

a couple years ago there was a guy who shot a bunch of his kids' teenage
goth friends in a small room and they were rather interesting as he posed
carefully and you could hardly tell he was using a very wide angle lens.
whatever distortion there was had been used actually. however it is a very
confining situation literally figuratively and creatively.