Test Images

Old July 3rd 16, 10:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

Default Test Images

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 22:15:00 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

I suspect I could give you a more pleasing shot taken with my D70 and
the old 80-400mm. For example this D70 shot from 2004 with a measly 7MP
sensor.
https://db.tt/n59msTjX

And I have this heavily cropped shot from a D300
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Pigeon%203.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old July 3rd 16, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
me[_5_]

Might I suggest you take advantage of the auto iso feature, set
aperture-priority and a reasonable minimum shutter speed so you are
not forced into such high iso needlessly. Are these 1:1 crops? Even
though exposure bias is -0.33 they seem quite over exposed or pushed
in post. Not sure why you didn't try spot metering as well.

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 11:42:00 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

Just trying to learn focusing this morning, with a new toy.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160701_nickerson%20birds%20oyster%20cathcers%20t erns_3895.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160701_nickerson%20birds%20oyster%20cathcers%20t erns_4106.jpg

Old July 3rd 16, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
me[_5_]

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 12:58:22 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

I just answered my own question by reading the appropriate part of the
D500 manual.

You should be (according to the D500 manual) in AF-F or
"Full-time-servo AF" mode rather than the old AF-C from the D300.

Then instead of the D300 51 point 3D-Tracking, you have the new D500
"Subject-tracking AF".

That I believe is only in Live View mode. Outside of Live View you
would set AF-C then 3d tracking.

But then I've only had my D500 since Friday and could be wrong.
Old July 3rd 16, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

I just answered my own question by reading the appropriate part of the
D500 manual.

You should be (according to the D500 manual) in AF-F or
"Full-time-servo AF" mode rather than the old AF-C from the D300.

Then instead of the D300 51 point 3D-Tracking, you have the new D500
"Subject-tracking AF".

That I believe is only in Live View mode. Outside of Live View you
would set AF-C then 3d tracking.

OK I must have missed that. I am not a big Live View user. ;-)

But then I've only had my D500 since Friday and could be wrong.

I don't have a D500, only the manual. However, it seems there is a
change to the AF-C set up. Now you have to use "Dynamic-area AF"
together with AF-C, and you have options for 25-point dynamic-area AF,
72-point dynamic-area AF, and 153-point dynamic-area AF. The D500 mnual
recommendation for birds is 153-point dynamic-area AF.

From how they describe 3D-tracking for the D500 it doesn't sound as if
it would be a good choice if there isn't good contrast between
subject/target and background. So, for Peter it looks like 153-point
dynamic-area AF might work best. Time to experiment.

Also given Peter's proclivity to use a TC, he should note what thay say
in the manual, "If 3D-tracking or auto-area AF is selected for AF-area
mode when an AF-S/AF-I teleconverter is used, single-point AF will
automatically be selected at combined apertures slower than f/5.6."

I also feel Peter would benefit by setting the AF-C and AF-S priority
selection to "Focus+release" or "Focus" for AF-C, and "Focus" for AF-S

All in all 3D-tracking with the D500 looks to be a very different
animal to that in the D300S, so the manual needs to be read, and don't
try to fly by the seat of your pants.

Savageduck

Old July 3rd 16, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-07-03 14:50:06 +0000, me said:

Might I suggest you take advantage of the auto iso feature, set
aperture-priority and a reasonable minimum shutter speed so you are
not forced into such high iso needlessly.

I agree. I think if Peter started using auto ISO with sensible
parameters he would fare much better.

I have been using auto ISO with my X-E2v4.0. That gives me three custom
auto ISO presets and four non-auto presets.
Currently I have those auto ISO presets, set as follows:
Auto ISO 800, default sensitivity ISO 200, min shutter speed 1/80
Auto ISO 1600, default sensitivity ISO 200, min shutter speed 1/80
Auto ISO 6400, default sensitivity ISO 200, min shutter speed 1/80

Old July 3rd 16, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-07-02 15:42:00 +0000, PeterN said:

Just trying to learn focusing this morning, with a new toy.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160701_nickerson%20birds%20oyster%20cathcers%20t erns_3895.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160701_nickerson%20birds%20oyster%20cathcers%20t erns_4106.jpg

And

yes, I misspelled "catcher."

The focusing seems to be OK. However, the first image is oversharpened,
and the second is another example of the "PeterN severe crop".

That said, nice new toy, and it will reduce your need for the TC. It
came along 18 months too late for me in my current purchase cycle, and I
had made the decision to go lighter. However, It is a camera I might
still buy some time in the future.

If I get the Nikon 200-600 there will be less need for severe crops.

The 200-500mm is a better lens than the old 80-400mm, better stabilized and sharper.

You caught my typo, or was that wishful thinking. Both Tamron & Sigma
have zoom teles that go to 600. I would not purchase either.
I have the new 80-400, which weighs a lot less than the Nikon 200-500.
The weight is the only thing I have to consider. I know I cannot carry
that around all day.

--
PeterN
Old July 3rd 16, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
me[_5_]

To be honest after the closest subject focus mode of the D200 went
away with the D300, I've had hit/miss results with AF-C on the D300
and D7100. and the 1st gen 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC14EI (yes, this combo
has always reported 550mm) on birds in the field and go back and forth
between AF-S and AF-C. and AF-A on the 7100..

As I use DxO for processing raw I don't have that ability for the D500
at the moment as their module is expected in a couple of weeks. Here
is a full frame iso5600 image shot in totally overcast conditions this
afternoon. Other than setting highest available jpg quality/size all
other in camera settings are default.

http://whfoto.net/D500_test/D5C_0195.JPG

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 09:23:11 -0700, Savageduck

Old July 3rd 16, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
me[_5_]

On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 15:35:42 -0400, me wrote:

As I use DxO for processing raw I don't have that ability for the D500
at the moment as their module is expected in a couple of weeks. Here
is a full frame iso5600 image shot in totally overcast conditions this
afternoon. Other than setting highest available jpg quality/size all
other in camera settings are default.

http://whfoto.net/D500_test/D5C_0195.JPG

Added two other shots, one iso2000 and another 5600:
http://whfoto.net/D500_test/

Old July 3rd 16, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-07-03 19:35:42 +0000, me said:

To be honest after the closest subject focus mode of the D200 went
away with the D300, I've had hit/miss results with AF-C on the D300
and D7100.

AF-C with Dynamic 51 point 3D-tracking works very well with my D300S
when shooting moving targets. For static targets AF-S is my default.

Here is AF-C in action on my D300S:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1104.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1099.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1101.jpg

and the 1st gen 200-400mm f/4 VR + TC14EI (yes, this combo
has always reported 550mm) on birds in the field and go back and forth
between AF-S and AF-C. and AF-A on the 7100..

That is odd. I hope you aren't using a TC.

As I use DxO for processing raw I don't have that ability for the D500
at the moment as their module is expected in a couple of weeks. Here
is a full frame iso5600 image shot in totally overcast conditions this
afternoon. Other than setting highest available jpg quality/size all
other in camera settings are default.

http://whfoto.net/D500_test/D5C_0195.JPG

That looks pretty good to me.

I just have one request. Please stop top posting. Rather bottom post or
inter-lace responses, top posts are a royal pain to to deal with and
they screw up atributes and thread chronology.

Old July 3rd 16, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-07-03 19:50:18 +0000, me said:

On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 15:35:42 -0400, me wrote:

As I use DxO for processing raw I don't have that ability for the D500
at the moment as their module is expected in a couple of weeks. Here
is a full frame iso5600 image shot in totally overcast conditions this
afternoon. Other than setting highest available jpg quality/size all
other in camera settings are default.

http://whfoto.net/D500_test/D5C_0195.JPG

Added two other shots, one iso2000 and another 5600:
http://whfoto.net/D500_test/

Both are pretty good. I would have anticipated images of similar
quality from Peter's D500, but then you aren't making severe crops and
making unusual corrections in post processing.

Savageduck