OT Subtle spam argeement

Old May 5th 14, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default OT Subtle spam argeement

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Yeah - old news about a trojan that affected nobody I know with Macs (a
lot of people), that was detectable with one command line in terminal
and eradicated (in the rare instance one had it) with another command
line in terminal.

Windows users crack me up! (I used to be one - then MS came out with
Vista - in dispair I went down to the river and was washed and saved).

I would do that except that I am still dependent on so much
Windows-only software. The main ties are Wordperfect, Paradox and
Quattro Pro, and Visual CAD. There a number of items in image
processing too: Paintshop Pro in particular, and a few items round the
fringe of that. I could end up not requiring any CAD program but after
all these years I don't want to go over to the dark side with Word.

you can still run whatever windows software you want alongside any mac
software.
Old May 5th 14, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-04 22:55:26 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Sun, 4 May 2014 15:43:46 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-05-04 22:32:47 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Sun, 4 May 2014 15:24:15 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-05-04 22:15:37 +0000, PeterN said:

On 5/4/2014 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.05.04, 17:25 , PeterN wrote:

I use AVG. Not the free version/

On my WinXP virtual machine I use the free AVG. OTOH, if I lose that
virtual machine to a virus or other malware I can just copy a fresh one
over from backup...

The free version is fine, but I like that extra bit of protection that
you get from the premium paid version.

You should try the Mac OSX universe sometime. Most of us ride bareback
without that ?extra bit of protection?.

The risk to Apple users is increasing. See
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-for-Macs.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/85a4kxf

You

will note that that was not a particular OSX issue, and all of the
publicized OSX malware & trojans have been proof of concept infections
commissioned by the various developers and purveyors of AV software.
Not a single Mac in the wild has been so infected.

Mac users are not vulnerable to surreptitious cloaked Malware. They
have to make an active effort to install such and the failsafes are
very much in place. There are other issues, but for those I suggest you
bring them up over at comp.sys.mac.system

Me? I'm not going to bring up the issue of viruses in Macs. I didn't
even do it this time.

Oh! So you didn't post that paranoia invoking URL?

Neither Alan nor yours truly said a word regarding viruses or malware
in Macs. We both hinted that AV software was not a necessity in our
computing lives when using OSX.

Savageduck

Old May 5th 14, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 04 May 2014 18:59:50 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

You should try the Mac OSX universe sometime. Most of us ride bareback
without that ?extra bit of protection?.

The risk to Apple users is increasing. See

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ps-virus-immun
ity-claim-for-Macs.html

bring them up over at comp.sys.mac.system

Me? I'm not going to bring up the issue of viruses in Macs. I didn't
even do it this time.

other than posting the link, you mean?

The subject had already been raised by Savageduck.

Eric Stevens
Old May 5th 14, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

bring them up over at comp.sys.mac.system

Me? I'm not going to bring up the issue of viruses in Macs. I didn't
even do it this time.

Oh! So you didn't post that paranoia invoking URL?

You raised the subject of viruses in Apples. Now do you really want to
blame me for responding?

Old May 5th 14, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 04 May 2014 19:04:54 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Yes. One tends to forget that. I will have to look into it.

Eric Stevens
Old May 5th 14, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-04 23:30:45 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Sun, 04 May 2014 18:59:50 -0400, nospam

bring them up over at comp.sys.mac.system

Me? I'm not going to bring up the issue of viruses in Macs. I didn't
even do it this time.

other than posting the link, you mean?

The subject had already been raised by Savageduck.

Did I utter the word “viruses”?

Mac yes, viruses no.

Savageduck

Old May 5th 14, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 04 May 2014 18:53:39 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

You should try the Mac OSX universe sometime. Most of us ride bareback
without that extra bit of protection.

The risk to Apple users is increasing. See

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...irus-immunity-
claim-for-Macs.html
or http://tinyurl.com/85a4kxf

not anything significant, it isn't.

the weakest link is not the computer, it's the idiot behind the
keyboard who gets phished and no amount of anti-malware tools will
block that.

The keybar which I mentioned near the beginning of this thread
downloaded and installed itself without any assistance from me other
than starting up Firefox.

Eric Stevens
Old May 5th 14, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

bring them up over at comp.sys.mac.system

Me? I'm not going to bring up the issue of viruses in Macs. I didn't
even do it this time.

Oh! So you didn't post that paranoia invoking URL?

You raised the subject of viruses in Apples. Now do you really want to
blame me for responding?

You will note that the first thing I said in this thread was:
“You should try the Mac universe sometime. Most of us ride bareback
without that “extra bit of protection”.”

I didn’t come close to saying a thing about viruses. just a hint that
the sort of protection which is a must in the Windows world is not
needed with OSX.

You were the individual who in trying to refute that posted a claim
which has not been realized for any Mac users.

Old May 5th 14, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

the weakest link is not the computer, it's the idiot behind the
keyboard who gets phished and no amount of anti-malware tools will
block that.

The keybar which I mentioned near the beginning of this thread
downloaded and installed itself without any assistance from me other
than starting up Firefox.

there must be more to the story than that.
Old May 5th 14, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 4 May 2014 16:35:17 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-05-04 23:30:45 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Sun, 04 May 2014 18:59:50 -0400, nospam

bring them up over at comp.sys.mac.system

Me? I'm not going to bring up the issue of viruses in Macs. I didn't
even do it this time.

other than posting the link, you mean?

The subject had already been raised by Savageduck.

Did I utter the word viruses?

Mac yes, viruses no.

Ask Tony about 'implied'.

Eric Stevens