Advice or recommendations for new p+s camera please.

Old August 14th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scotius[_3_]

Default Advice or recommendations for new p+s camera please.

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:47:57 +0100, "Nick"
wrote:

A good day to all.
I know that p+s digi cams are not highly regarded here but would appreciate
some advice.

This is for my wife who does not have a cam.
We are going on hols shortly and she would like a cam.

Looking for:
Something that will fit into her pocket/handbag/purse.
Minimum 10mp.
Easy to use.
Decent lens.
Good mechanical zoom.
Good battery life.

We are both quite aged, simplicity of use is essential.

I know this is somewhat vague but any relevant advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Nick.

Panasonic has a nice new point and shoot that has an 8 power
optical zoom (much more than the 3 that most point and shoots come
with, obviously).
That will come in handy when you have a shot from farther away
which otherwise, would be quite pixelated when you zoomed in.
I've read that it also has quite good low light performance.
It's also just a little more than 200 bucks, which is not bad
at all for a camera with it's performance specifications.
Fuji has one out now called a "bridge camera" (kind of bridges
that gap between point and shoots and DSLRs a bit). It's got an
incredible 30 power zoom that comes with it too. It also has a feature
that allows you to take people out of a shot if you just want the
architecture (takes several exposures and eliminates moving people).
It also (and this is important if you want to print the
pictures) shoots in RAW format, which is no more complex than shooting
in JPG format, but the difference will be readily apparent when you
have the images printed.
I've heard that it's low light capability is lacking, but
that's probably only at fairly high zoom numbers and in lessened
light, and you know... you can't have it all with a P & S.
It's around 400+ or so as I recall. A very good camera though.
There's also a new Leica model which is a true compact, and is the
only compact camera on Getty images list of approved cameras, so it
must be pretty good, although I don't know the price.
If you just want good shots, I'd recommend the new panasonic
one. It'll take good shots, not break your wallet, is compact, and has
that nice 8 power zoom.
Old August 14th 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

wrote:

[...]

There's so many errors in this advice that I wouldn't even want to bother
to start correcting them all.

Old August 15th 10, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: wrote:
:
[...]

A very telling sentiment from the group's foremost fourflusher. Somebody
finally asks the one question that you should be expected to think you're
qualified to answer, and all you do is punt. Why am I not surprised?

Bob
Old August 15th 10, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Conway[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Too bad. Actually good. There's the door.

Old August 15th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message

A very telling sentiment from the group's foremost fourflusher. Somebody
finally asks the one question that you should be expected to think you're
qualified to answer, and all you do is punt. Why am I not surprised?

Why are any of us not surprised.

--
Peter

Old August 16th 10, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SneakyP[_3_]

"Tim Conway" wrote in
:

"Outing Trolls is FUN!" wrote in message

snip whines of the P&S Sybil Troll not knowing anything about a P&S camera

(Surprised? not really)

Too bad. Actually good. There's the door.

For the OP,
go into a Walmart or Office Depot and compare these cameras.

Write down the suggestions as some here have outlined and then look some more.
Maybe there are better ones you would see at such store displays and then even
better prices may be found at other places. Take all the time you want.

Don't let the salesdroids push you to do anything you don't want to do.
They're there to serve you, not you serve them.

--
__
SneakyP

Supernews, if you get a complaint from a Jamie Baillie, please see:
http://www.canadianisp.ca/jamie_baillie.html
Old August 16th 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LOL![_3_]

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:39:40 -0500, SneakyP
wrote:

"Tim Conway" wrote in
:

"Outing Trolls is FUN!" wrote in message

snip the withheld knowledge about small sensor cameras that the pro
who uses them refuses to share this time

(Surprised? not really)

Oh, but it is FAR FAR more entertaining watching you role-playing
pretend-photographer trolls who have never even owned a camera trip,
stumble, and fall with your DSLR-crippling delusions, time and time again.

The best advice you know about them is to tell someone to go the store, eh?
WOW! What an overwhelming amount of experience that you have about cameras,
you pretend-photographer TROLL.

LOL!

Old August 16th 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 16/08/2010 18:45, LOL! wrote:

The best advice you know about them is to tell someone to go the store, eh?
WOW! What an overwhelming amount of experience that you have about cameras,
you pretend-photographer TROLL.

Yes, meeting real people, or even the real world. How gross.

--
Bertrand
Old August 19th 10, 05:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scotius[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Good, then by all means don't.