Fast primes on Nikon D70

Old August 26th 04, 10:10 PM
Jim

"Wilbert" wrote in message
Hi,

Although I have a SB800, which is a great flash, I prefer available light
photography. I am therefore considering the Nikkor AF 85 f/1.4D lens for

use
with my D70 body. But I have some doubts because my old AF 50 f/1.8

(non-D),
which I bought second hand 15 years ago) is not very sharp wide open. It

is
sharp at f/2.8, and very, very sharp at f/8, but at those apertures I miss
the shallow DoF, which I like. My question is, will the AF 85 f/1.4D be
sharp when I use it wide open on my D70, or will I have to stop it down to
get sharp images. If I have to stop it down I can save myself some money

and
go for the AF 85 f/1.8D. Does anyone have experience with the combination

of
a D70 and the Nikkor AF 85 f/1.4D?

Also, will a AF 50 f/1.4D give me sharper images when used wide open, then
my AF 50 f/1.8?

All of these lenses will give better results on the digital cameras than on
35mm cameras because, with digital, you are using only part of the image
circle. That is the part where the image quality is the best.
Thus, you do not lose sharpness; instead you gain it.
However, no the f1.4 lens will not equal the f1.8 lens.
Jim

Old August 27th 04, 12:39 AM
Jim

"Jim" wrote in message
om...

"Wilbert" wrote in message
[...]

If however you are refering to the final image, then the net resolution of a
D70 image will be less than one made with a film camera. The reason is that
the resolution of the D70 sensor is about 70 lines per mm. Now considering
the effect of the lens sharpness (about 50 lines per mm), the net will be
about 28 lines per mm. This is less than you would expect from a film
camera because most films resolve about 125 lines per mm.

I should also point out that most optics people now use the MTF as a better
measure of a lens.

Jim

Old August 27th 04, 01:20 AM
Crownfield

Jim wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
om...

"Wilbert" wrote in message
[...]

but the lens will still only resolve 70 lpmm even with film,
so about 35lpmm with film and lens considered.

not a big difference.