Leca IIIf etc.

Old August 25th 04, 08:54 PM
Chris Loffredo

MXP wrote:

OK....so the Soviet lenses for Zorki is better than the one you can get very
cheap
for Hasselblad? (uneven coating ....lenses badly assembled ect.).

Max

In my experience, about 75% of the Jupiter lenses are "good".

Many complaints about these lenses are due to badly adjusted
rangefinders on the cameras.

Some are surely badly assembled, but I've tested many, and about 75% are
really good. The bad ones you get are easy enough to sell...

Old August 25th 04, 11:38 PM
ColynG©

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:22:44 +0200, "MXP"
wrote:

I have heard the Voigtländer 50/2 Ultron is close in design to the Leica
50/2 Summicron at that time.

Max

I don't know if it is but as yet, I hve not found a bad Voigtlander
lens on any of their rangefinder or SLR cameras..

Colyn Goodson

http://www.colyngoodson.com

Old August 26th 04, 05:28 PM
MXP

wrote:

I have heard the Voigtländer 50/2 Ultron is close in design to the Leica
50/2 Summicron at that time.

Max

I don't know if it is but as yet, I hve not found a bad Voigtlander
lens on any of their rangefinder or SLR cameras..

Their cameras and lenses seems to be very well made. It is a lot cheaper to
collect them than
Leica's. But it could be fun to have just one Leica.

I don't know why I find it so interresting to use these old mechanical
cameras. I have a lot
of modern stuff also.

Max

Colyn Goodson

http://www.colyngoodson.com

Old August 26th 04, 09:40 PM
Dutchy

MXP wrote:
If you just want some fun using an old rangefinder for taking photographs.
Are these old Leica's an option? .....do people use them today or are they
only to be put in a cabinet?

Yes and yes. But 50-70 year old cameras usually need, at the very least,
cleaning, if not full overhauls.

The squinty viewfinder, separate rangefinder window, finicky loading, knob
film advance/rewind, don't set shutter-speed unless shutter is cocked,
spinning shutter-speed dial, separate dial for slow shutter speeds - quirks
will certainly let you know what life was like back then for a photographer.

If you can live without the "piece of history" quality that Leica's convey,
then the Canon RF's of the same vintage are also beautyfully made, fun cameras
to use. They are much easier to load, and most have much better view-finders.

The later models, like the Canon VII, are very functional
cameras, with multiple V/F masks for different focal-lengths, and parallax
correction. The Canon 50/1.8 remains a highly regarded lens, as do
the 35 f1.8's and f2's. Browse around the cameraquest site
http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm for the full scoop.

If you just want to duplicate the experience of using a Leica thread-mount
camera, the Cosina/Voigtlander Bessa T was designed to do exactly that, and
they're cheap. The Bessa R's and R2's are much more usable, and The C/V
lenses are great.

--
Dutchy

(but use digits)