airplane travel and my brand new dslr

Old June 3rd 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
King Sardon

Default airplane travel and my brand new dslr

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 09:08:33 -0400, M-M wrote:

In article ,
Paul Furman wrote:

I checked a couple of my biggest lenses in an unlocked bag & the bag was
searched, with a little notice slip... it would seem a suitcase with a
lock would be wise and they wouldn't have that option.

They would cut the lock.

There are approved locks that you can use... they can be opened by the
security folks without damaging them. We use them; in one case they
searched the bag, left a note inside, and relocked it. Works great.

http://www.safeskieslocks.com/luggage-lock-tsa.html

That's still no guarantee that someone won't steal the bag lock and
all.

KS
Old June 3rd 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
King Sardon

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 13:49:23 GMT, "Andrew Koenig" wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. net...

I checked a couple of my biggest lenses in an unlocked bag & the bag was
searched, with a little notice slip... it would seem a suitcase with a
lock would be wise and they wouldn't have that option.

Who wouldn't have what option?

If you check a locked bag, and they want to search it, they will destroy the
lock. If the lock is too strong for their tools, they'll destroy the bag.

Then use a TSA-approved lock. They won't cut those.
http://www.safeskieslocks.com/luggage-lock-tsa.html

Never, never check anything you can't afford to lose.

True...

KS

Old June 3rd 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Andrew Koenig

"King Sardon" wrote in message

Then use a TSA-approved lock. They won't cut those.
http://www.safeskieslocks.com/luggage-lock-tsa.html

Of course. But why bother with a lock at all when so many people have the
key anyway?

Old June 3rd 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bob Salomon

In article ,
"Andrew Koenig" wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
et...

I checked a couple of my biggest lenses in an unlocked bag & the bag was
searched, with a little notice slip... it would seem a suitcase with a
lock would be wise and they wouldn't have that option.

Who wouldn't have what option?

If you check a locked bag, and they want to search it, they will destroy the
lock. If the lock is too strong for their tools, they'll destroy the bag.

Never, never check anything you can't afford to lose.

They won't destroy a TSA approved lock. Only TSA has the key and there
is only one set of keys per security station at each airport. Each key
is numbered and is checked in and out with each TSA shift change. A TSA
approved lock is $10.00 to $12.00 at better luggage stores. It will pass
through the holes in the zipper pulls to lock the bag. Some TSA locks
have a window that changes color whenever the key is used.

Each TSA lock, built-in or add-on has a very visible 3 digit code on the
lock to tell TSA which key to use to open the specific bag that is being
checked.

Even though I have TSA locks built-in on my Rimowa suitcases I just
usually leave them set at 0 0 0 and let security do what they want. In
several hundred thousand miles since 9/11 have had absolutely no
problems. Nothing missing, even when they have left a note that the bag
was checked. In fact-they even left the bags packed just as they were.
If you are not actually packing anything that is barred from flight they
simply seem to just check quickly whatever caught their eye.

When you consider the volume of luggage being checked each flying day
they really don't have a lot of time to go searching bags that are not
truly suspicious. And the inspectors and the baggage handlers are always
on closed circuit TV looking for improper procedures.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old June 3rd 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark²

Bob Salomon wrote:
In article ,
"Andrew Koenig" wrote:

[...]

When I flew to Ukraine last summer, not only did I have things missing...but
I had other items placed INTO my bag that didn't belong to me!! This means
that at some point...they must have taken lots of stuff out...decided what
they wanted...then they just started stuffing things back into bags...ANY
bags!

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 3rd 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Bob Salomon wrote:

TSA locks

"Tampering Submission Authority"?

:-)
Old June 3rd 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Randall Ainsworth

In article , louise
wrote:

Next question is about carry-on. I can't see being able to
carry all this onto the plane with the new regulations. Is
there a case which is considered "baggage proof" into which
I could put my camera and lens that I could put on with my
other baggage?

If you put your computer or camera in checked luggage, expect to never
see either again.
Old June 3rd 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael Meissner

Paul Furman writes:

Michael Meissner wrote:

...While it doesn't happen that often, it is not unknown for high end
checked gear to get stolen. I believe the airlines have a little clause
that they will not be responsible if you check cameras or laptops
specifically.

I checked a couple of my biggest lenses in an unlocked bag & the bag was
searched, with a little notice slip... it would seem a suitcase with a lock
would be wise and they wouldn't have that option.

Yeah, the TSA (and their equivalents in other countries) will cut off the lock
if it isn't a TSA approved lock. Presumably the bad guys already have copies
of the TSA lock master key. Even if they didn't have the master key, I can
imagine several ways for them to confiscate the bags and deal with openning it
at their leisure.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old June 3rd 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael Meissner

Paul Furman writes:

King Sardon wrote:

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 23:22:26 +0100, "the_niner_nation"
wrote:

ius it okay to fly with a DSLR around your neck? If so, this will save me
almost 2kgs of baggage allowance!!!

A lot of carry-on bags weigh 8 lbs empty and that is a lot when your
allowance for carry-on is 20 lbs total. You can save more than 6 lbs
by using a light-weight duffle bag. Mine weighs only one and a half
lbs. Mind you, most airlines don't weigh your carry-on, and you can usually
get away with a lot. The problem is on the rare occasion when they DO
check. If you are over, then they can force you to check the bag when
it is not packed for that kind of handling. So be prepared.

I carried a bag way over 20 lb on a domestic flight this weekend, they said I
was supposed to have had the laptop out for the security line, so I'll just
carry it as a loose item on the way back.

Yes, this is pretty standard. Its great fun when you are traveling with two
laptops and a medical machine that always gets searched :-)

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old June 3rd 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

wrote:

ius it okay to fly with a DSLR around your neck? If so, this will
save me almost 2kgs of baggage allowance!!!

A lot of carry-on bags weigh 8 lbs empty and that is a lot when your
allowance for carry-on is 20 lbs total. You can save more than 6 lbs
by using a light-weight duffle bag. Mine weighs only one and a half
lbs.
Mind you, most airlines don't weigh your carry-on, and you can usually
get away with a lot. The problem is on the rare occasion when they DO
check. If you are over, then they can force you to check the bag when
it is not packed for that kind of handling. So be prepared.

I carried a bag way over 20 lb on a domestic flight this weekend, they
said I was supposed to have had the laptop out for the security line, so
I'll just carry it as a loose item on the way back.

Most of the time you can take a camera around your neck

Like a purse.

plus the normal carry-on allowance, but not out of Heathrow.
KS

But what if you carry a purse too?

Think I could get away with both?

Louise