Sensor Dust Removal

Old February 5th 05, 01:54 PM
Lester Wareham

Default Sensor Dust Removal

I finally got enough courage and had a try at removing dust from my 20D
sensor using the rocket blower method with my wife holding the vacuum
cleaner hose near the camera throat.

This was successful in the sense that it was no worse than before, better in
fact as all the darker spots had been cleaned out. However the lighter ones
remain, I don't seem to have added to these fortunately.

Test shots where at f/20.

Is it the experience of others using this method that some lighter marks
remain?

Or have I just been too cautious with the technique?

Should I consider an invasive method such as pec-pads or sensor brush for
these more stubborn spots.

Thanks

Old February 6th 05, 10:21 AM
Lester Wareham

"Jim Townsend" wrote in message
Lester Wareham wrote:

Should I consider an invasive method such as pec-pads or sensor brush for
these more stubborn spots.

I've read you should use sensor swabs rather than pec-pads.
(Both made by the same manufacturer). But.. I've also read that
pec-pads do work well for cleaning sensors :-)

I use sensor swabs and photosol liquid. I've had to swab my sensor
three times in the last 14 months. It's worked perfectly each time.
After swabbing, I see no dust at f/22.

Just one note.. It won't take long for the spots to start
showing up again with light featureless subjects at high f numbers..

Don't sweat it unless you regularly shoot featurless subjects at
f/16 and above.. I think learning to tolerate the odd dust spot
is a far better approach :-)

True for general photography, I like to keep near f/8 to f/11 for max
sharpness.

I like landscape and macro though so smaller apertures are needed for dof in
these cases.

Thanks

Old February 6th 05, 10:36 AM
Bob Harrington

Jim Townsend wrote:
Lester Wareham wrote:

Should I consider an invasive method such as pec-pads or sensor
brush for these more stubborn spots.

I've read you should use sensor swabs rather than pec-pads.
(Both made by the same manufacturer). But.. I've also read that
pec-pads do work well for cleaning sensors :-)

I use sensor swabs and photosol liquid. I've had to swab my sensor
three times in the last 14 months. It's worked perfectly each time.
After swabbing, I see no dust at f/22.

Just one note.. It won't take long for the spots to start
showing up again with light featureless subjects at high f numbers..

Don't sweat it unless you regularly shoot featurless subjects at
f/16 and above.. I think learning to tolerate the odd dust spot
is a far better approach :-)

A quick zap with the image editor's healing or cloning tool is also an
option - cheaper, and comes with an 'undo'! ;^)

Bob ^,,^

Old February 6th 05, 11:53 AM
Lester Wareham

"Bob Harrington" wrote in message
Jim Townsend wrote:
Lester Wareham wrote:

[...]

Indeed.

When I ordered the 20D I naively thought - terrific no more waiting for the
film scanner and taking ages to clear up the dust spots - Ha!!

Still, it's a lot better than working in the smelly dark all day away from
everyone; and I used to enjoy darkroom work.....

Old February 7th 05, 03:31 AM
Stewy

"Lester Wareham" wrote:

I finally got enough courage and had a try at removing dust from my 20D
sensor using the rocket blower method with my wife holding the vacuum
cleaner hose near the camera throat.

This was successful in the sense that it was no worse than before, better in
fact as all the darker spots had been cleaned out. However the lighter ones
remain, I don't seem to have added to these fortunately.

Test shots where at f/20.

Is it the experience of others using this method that some lighter marks
remain?

Or have I just been too cautious with the technique?

Should I consider an invasive method such as pec-pads or sensor brush for
these more stubborn spots.

Spittle is quite neutral as far as ph is concerned. Try extending you
tongue with the mirror locked up and licking the sensor - whatever you
do don't let the mirror snap back into place or your buggered...
After wetting the sensor get a brush, any old brush will do - those
small wire brushes for combing suede shoes are ideal. Give the sensor a
really good buffing then dry off using the end of your necktie.
Old February 7th 05, 04:57 AM
Alan Meyer

Lester Wareham wrote:
I finally got enough courage and had a try at removing dust from my

20D
sensor using the rocket blower method with my wife holding the vacuum

cleaner hose near the camera throat.

Lester,

There are several websites giving very complete and explicit
information about cleaning sensors - with photos. Search
Google for it and, hopefully, you'll get some good data.

Sealed sensors is one of the advantages that the
non-interchangeable lens "consumer" level cameras have
over the otherwise more capable dSLRs.

Alan

Old February 7th 05, 06:43 AM
Stacey

Lester Wareham wrote:

"Jim Townsend" wrote in message

Don't sweat it unless you regularly shoot featurless subjects at
f/16 and above.. I think learning to tolerate the odd dust spot
is a far better approach :-)

True for general photography, I like to keep near f/8 to f/11 for max
sharpness.

So you think shooting through dust doesn't hurt anything?

--

Stacey
Old February 7th 05, 06:45 AM
Stacey

Alan Meyer wrote:

Sealed sensors is one of the advantages that the
non-interchangeable lens "consumer" level cameras have
over the otherwise more capable dSLRs.

Funny that olympus has fixed this problem and everyone else is ignoring it?
--

Stacey
Old February 7th 05, 07:00 AM
Roger Hunt

In article , Stewy
writes
In article ,
"Lester Wareham" wrote:

[...]

Mmmm ... My necktie is normally crusted with remnants of previous meals.
Will this help or hinder the operation, or should I use an old sock
instead?
--
Roger Hunt
Old February 7th 05, 07:28 PM
Lester Wareham

"Stewy" wrote in message
"Lester Wareham" wrote:

[...]

Thank god!!

Someone with a sensible and direct approach.

Unfortunately when I tried it the battery ran out and it took 3 hours with a
crowbar to get the shutter curtain open and release my tongue.

I will use the washing-up brush in future.....