Photoshop CC problem(s)

Old January 16th 21, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Photoshop CC problem(s)

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 00:07:13 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Perhaps something is broken. You could uninstall PS (completely
remove all files), then make a clean install.

I've thought of that, but it is not straightforward with CC.

yes it is.

The standard CC uninstall leaves an enormous number of rats and mice.

Before this reply I have tried the standard uninstall followed by
reinstall. - No change.

Then I tried a full uninstall using Revo Uninstaller followed by
reinstall - No change.

So it doesn't look like a software error. I can turn some of the
faulty behaviour on and off with Intel TBMT so that is clearly
associated with the problem. There have been two PS updates and at
least two Windows updates since I first started encountering this
problem. To my knowledge I have problems with no other software,
including Lightroom.

Eric Stevens
Old January 16th 21, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Perhaps something is broken. You could uninstall PS (completely
remove all files), then make a clean install.

I've thought of that, but it is not straightforward with CC.

yes it is.

The standard CC uninstall leaves an enormous number of rats and mice.

then you did something wrong.

Before this reply I have tried the standard uninstall followed by
reinstall. - No change.

Then I tried a full uninstall using Revo Uninstaller followed by
reinstall - No change.

So it doesn't look like a software error.

that just means it's not adobe, which is expected.

I can turn some of the
faulty behaviour on and off with Intel TBMT so that is clearly
associated with the problem. There have been two PS updates and at
least two Windows updates since I first started encountering this
problem. To my knowledge I have problems with no other software,
including Lightroom.

more accurately, you have problems nobody else has.
Old January 16th 21, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Jan 15, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 00:07:13 -0500,
wrote:

In , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Perhaps something is broken. You could uninstall PS (completely
remove all files), then make a clean install.

I've thought of that, but it is not straightforward with CC.

yes it is.

The standard CC uninstall leaves an enormous number of rats and mice.

Before this reply I have tried the standard uninstall followed by
reinstall. - No change.

Then I tried a full uninstall using Revo Uninstaller followed by
reinstall - No change.

So it doesn't look like a software error. I can turn some of the
faulty behaviour on and off with Intel TBMT so that is clearly
associated with the problem. There have been two PS updates and at
least two Windows updates since I first started encountering this
problem. To my knowledge I have problems with no other software,
including Lightroom.

I believe we have similar PC setups. I don’t know how this will help, but I
opened PS today for the first time in a long time. It is updated, as is all
of Adobe CC. ACR and PS worked fine. I left PS open and opened LR. LR crashed
for the first time ever. I closed and opened everything repeatedly, and it
kept happening. So I decided to reboot the PC. When I went to do that, I had
the option of installing Windows updates (I am already on the latest version
of Win 10). I chose to do that. The update failed, and my PC has not started
since. I am not happy. I just rebuilt the SSD boot partition per MS specs,
and everything was running perfectly. I don’t really think my no-boot
problem is related to Adobe, but since LR kept crashing, I have to think that
there may indeed be a separate issue with PS & LR. If I ever get it running
again, I’ll let you know what I find.

Old January 16th 21, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 12:44:40 -0600, Bill W
wrote:

Go into task manager, and check for 100% (or close) CPU, memory, or disk
read/write usage. The problem will be that it might take forever just to get
into task manager, but it’s helpful, so wait. If it’s Adobe tying
everything up, then take nospam’s advice, and reinstall everything. If
something else is responsible, let us know what it is. I have had very
similar problems from Malwarybytes, Foxit Reader, and one or two others. If
it something else, then you have to kill those programs, or uninstall them,
and then talk to their customer support. My problems tended to come after
updates to programs, and reinstalling them will not fix that.

I wish I had two Task Managers so I could watch both Processes and
Performance at the same time. In the absence of a second, I spend most
time watching Performance. With TBMT enabled only one core (out of 12)
is actively engaged and that is at 100%. With TBMT disabled loading an
image has an effect on the loading of all cores but not excessively.

But that is only part of the problem. Why does PS insist on starting
raw files in ACR, even when I have all the options switched off? Why
does it then run so slowly? Why are the sliders not working? What is
the difference between loading an image in PS and ditto in LR? PS has
been unusable since before Christmas.

Eric Stevens
Old January 16th 21, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:01:38 -0600, Bill W
wrote:

On Jan 12, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

I've been running Photoshop CC for years without any trouble. I have
not used it for the last few weeks or so and in the mean time there
have been several upgrades of PS and Windows 10. For whatever reason I
now find that while PS starts OK it now always downloads files in
Camera Raw. I don't mind that but I have not been able to turn that
feature off. To compound the problem, it takes more than 2 hours to
load an image. I don't actually know how long as I give up at that
point. When I load a 30Mb NEF file the image may appear after 2 or 3
minutes but the editing sliders remain locked and unresponsive. The
Windows task manager shows that one processor core (out of 12) is
running at 100% and it will continue to do this until I shut down
Photoshop. Most times I cannot shut down Photoshop in the usual manner
but have to end the task in Task Manager. On occasion I can close
Camera Raw and then I can shutdown Photoshop normally.

Go into task manager, and check for 100% (or close) CPU, memory, or disk
read/write usage. The problem will be that it might take forever just to get
into task manager, but it¹s helpful, so wait. If it¹s Adobe tying
everything up, then take nospam¹s advice, and reinstall everything. If
something else is responsible, let us know what it is. I have had very
similar problems from Malwarybytes, Foxit Reader, and one or two others. If
it something else, then you have to kill those programs, or uninstall them,
and then talk to their customer support. My problems tended to come after
updates to programs, and reinstalling them will not fix that.

adobe shouldn't be hogging the cpu unless it's actively doing
something, such as a complex filter on a large image.

stuff like malwarebytes and foxit are not cpu-intensive and should not
cause major cpu load at all.

They were both broken after updates. MWB was CPU (not 100%, but enough to
cripple), and Foxit was disk read/write. And this was on a weaker spec’d
PC, and it was unusable when it was happening. I think Eric’s is an i7, and
better spec’d, but you never know. At the same time, Eric seems to have an
unusual number of huge issues with that PC. He might want to just start
over...

A new PC you mean? I've already done a fresh install on Windows. Most
of the issues I have are trying to stop Edge from starting and the way
the hibernate and sleep behaviour chnges with every Windows update.
Until this latest its otherwise been OK.

Eric Stevens
Old January 16th 21, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

I don’t think PS can open raw files. I believe they must open in ACR. Maybe
you turned off the wrong options, and that is causing your problem.

Old January 16th 21, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 22:30:17 -0600, Bill W
wrote:

On Jan 12, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

I have tried contacting Adobe Tech Support but an afternoon of being
passed from person to person in the hope that the next person would
know about the problem, and after waiting for an hour for what might
have been the last person I gave up.

I then tried the adobe community and quickly received the suggestion
that I should turn off GPU support. GPU setting was previously on Auto
and is now Off. [GPU = GeForce GTX 1070]. That possibly made a
difference, but only minimal. The image still opened in ACR but maybe
more quickly. Fully functioning editing sliders were still not
available even after about ten minutes. One CPU core only, continued
to be fully at work. Some of the graphics memory was in use and there
were occasional barely visible twitches of activity in various parts
of the GPU.

As far as I can tell I have the same problem irrespective of whether I
am using PS 2020 or 2021.

Has anyone encountered or heard of a similar problem and if so what
was the cause/cure?

Go into task manager, and check for 100% (or close) CPU, memory, or disk
read/write usage. The problem will be that it might take forever just to get
into task manager, but it’s helpful, so wait. If it’s Adobe tying
everything up, then take nospam’s advice, and reinstall everything. If
something else is responsible, let us know what it is. I have had very
similar problems from Malwarybytes, Foxit Reader, and one or two others. If
it something else, then you have to kill those programs, or uninstall them,
and then talk to their customer support. My problems tended to come after
updates to programs, and reinstalling them will not fix that.

I have PS 2020 and 2021 installed on the machine and I have been
experimenting.

The first thing I did was update the GPU driver. Didn't seem to make a
difference. It was less than a year old.

Then in quick succession I found Windows doing an update and no sooner
than I got through that Adobe CC updated PS, LR and ACR! Nothing is
the same as it was but I still have the problem. i have found out
that when I start PS, Windows explorer seems to go mad and uses more
of the processor capacity than everything else put together. Disk
ussage does not look excessive. I know this is a known problem but I
do not as yet know what to do about it.

More to come.

The explorer thing is indeed a known issue (but I believe an old one), and a
simple fix, I think. It might have been as simple as taking the recent files
out of the view, or indexing, or something along those lines. I can’t
remember right now. I also think the LR catalog was modified once again with
a recent update, and that might have something to do with it. Are you sharing
the catalog with another location or PC?

No sharing and LR has continued to run properly since the revised lcat
structure.

Eric Stevens
Old January 16th 21, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I wish I had two Task Managers so I could watch both Processes and
Performance at the same time. In the absence of a second, I spend most
time watching Performance. With TBMT enabled only one core (out of 12)
is actively engaged and that is at 100%. With TBMT disabled loading an
image has an effect on the loading of all cores but not excessively.

But that is only part of the problem.

actually, it's not.

Why does PS insist on starting
raw files in ACR,

raw images require camera raw.

even when I have all the options switched off?

what options?

Why
does it then run so slowly?

because something is very wrong

Why are the sliders not working?

same reason.

What is
the difference between loading an image in PS and ditto in LR?

the main difference is that they are different apps.

PS has
been unusable since before Christmas.

i seem to recall you having issues with it far longer than that.
Old January 16th 21, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

They were both broken after updates. MWB was CPU (not 100%, but enough to
cripple), and Foxit was disk read/write. And this was on a weaker spec¹d
PC, and it was unusable when it was happening. I think Eric¹s is an i7, and
better spec¹d, but you never know. At the same time, Eric seems to have an
unusual number of huge issues with that PC. He might want to just start
over...

A new PC you mean? I've already done a fresh install on Windows. Most
of the issues I have are trying to stop Edge from starting and the way
the hibernate and sleep behaviour chnges with every Windows update.
Until this latest its otherwise been OK.

apparently it's not been ok.