Morro Bay -Drone Revisit

Old July 5th 20, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David_B[_4_]

Default Morro Bay -Drone Revisit

On 05/07/2020 04:10, croy wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 21:55:37 +0100, David_B wrote:

I very much enjoyed it too. :-D

Surely, though, Savageduck UPLOADED the clip so that we could enjoy it?

You are correct, of course. My brain was away when I posted.

No worries! :-)

Old July 5th 20, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David_B[_4_]

On 05/07/2020 04:10, croy wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 21:55:37 +0100, David_B wrote:

I very much enjoyed it too. :-D

Surely, though, Savageduck UPLOADED the clip so that we could enjoy it?

You are correct, of course. My brain was away when I posted.

I saw this - and thought of you! :-D

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8364...4976134272941/

Old July 6th 20, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

Default Morro Bay -Drone Revisit - / (1/1) [2K]

On Sun, 05 Jul 2020 13:25:05 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Weird things about Indiana:
1. What the hell is a "Hoosier"?

I have wondered that myself. Nothing to do with hoses. Perhaps Tony Cooper might be able to educate us, he is IIRC an Indiana native now exiled to FL.

You have no idea how many people ask me that. I gave up trying to
offer explanations years ago. I goes back at least to the early
1800s. If I offer one explanation, someone will come along and say
"No, that's not it. It comes from ....".

Then there's joker who says it comes from "Who's your father?"
suggesting that your mother wasn't sure who it was. That gets old.

I'm left-handed, too. I also gave up explaining why we are called
"southpaws". Too many different suggested origins of the term.

Much easier to explain why British policemen are called "Bobbies" or
"Peelers". Nice, clear reason available.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 6th 20, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 5, 2020, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

wrote:

Weird things about Indiana:
1. What the hell is a "Hoosier"?

I have wondered that myself. Nothing to do with hoses. Perhaps Tony Cooper might be able to educate us, he is IIRC an Indiana native now exiled to FL.

You have no idea how many people ask me that. I gave up trying to
offer explanations years ago. I goes back at least to the early
1800s. If I offer one explanation, someone will come along and say
"No, that's not it. It comes from ....".

Even Wikipedia has a bunch oddball etymology which it seems has not been pinned down.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosier

Then there's joker who says it comes from "Who's your father?"
suggesting that your mother wasn't sure who it was. That gets old.

I'm left-handed, too. I also gave up explaining why we are called
"southpaws". Too many different suggested origins of the term.

Much easier to explain why British policemen are called "Bobbies" or
"Peelers". Nice, clear reason available.

Robert Peel would be glad that you knew that factoid.

Savageduck

Old July 6th 20, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

Did you know his father came from Scotland? Kenneth John Peel?

Eric Stevens
Old July 6th 20, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Sir Robert, if you please.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 6th 20, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I'll bet I'm the only Yank here that understands that reference.

D'ye think I'm right?

Did you know his great-grandson was John Ravenscroft?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 6th 20, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Nope! This one happens to have an English side to his family which included one scot uncle, and three scot cousins (two still alive).

D'ye ken that?

I remember “D’ye ken John Peel” being sung/played as a child. Naturally that “John Peel” had little do do with Robert Peel.

Old July 6th 20, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

G'dn. Foxhunter, he was. To the tune of "Bonnie Annie".

Did you know his great-grandson was John Ravenscroft?

Ravenscroft played a lot music using the name John Peel.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 6th 20, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 7/5/20 5:08 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 13:01:52 -0400, Ken Hart

big snip

From a photographer's viewpoint, Indiana offers a lot of opportunity
if you like old barns, abandoned old cars and farm equipment rusting
in fields, and interesting rural scenes.

I've photographed all the interesting rural scenes. Because of the
state's vehicle registration (price based on book value of the vehicle),
most of those old cars are still being driven. And the farm equipment is
on the highways when I'm trying to get to work!

I spent most of my working life in the specialty surgical instrument
field, and my job in that field sent me back to Indiana. I called on
surgeons from Layfayette down to the Ohio River. In those days, there
was a local, independent, restaurant in every town. Good food and
really excellent choice of pie in each.

Most of us live, at first, where our parents happened to be. After
that, it's usually employment that has us move to some other state.
Most people don't have much choice of where the live until they
retire. Employment moved me to Florida, but I stayed after
retirement.

If you get to Pennsylvania, stop in. I can show you the Statue of
Liberty in the Susquehanna River upstream from Harrisburg, and where
antifa threatened to burn the Flag at Gettysburg National Cemetary, but
thought better of it when they saw all the bikers with bullets.

I suspect my internet speed in Pennsylvania will be similar to here for
DSL, but I will also have cable available. I'm told cable is much
faster, when it is working.

Dunno where you are in Indiana...but no cable internet? Boonville or
further west?

In the middle of Jasper, Petersburg, and Washington.

No cable service. Years ago before cable internet was common, there was
a system in this small town, but then the cable company converted
everyone to DirecTV.

--
Ken Hart