How to remove Rootkit malware from an Apple computer

Old April 10th 20, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

Default How to remove Rootkit malware from an Apple computer

On 10/04/2020 12:23 pm, nospam wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

So why did it take until 1998 to remove the floppy drive.

it didn't.

So remind me which was the first Mac to be sold without an internal floppy
drive.

powerbook duo 210 and 230, released in october, 1992.

those were followed by the duo 250, 270c, 280, 280c and 2300, all of
which predate the imac.

https://www.oldcomputr.com/wp-conten...le_powerbook_2
300c-minidock-undocking.jpg
https://images.techhive.com/images/a...ook-duo-01-100
573734-large.jpg

https://www.vintageapplemac.com/foun...ine-cover-flop
pies-1994-to-1997/

must have been uk only, and it looks like only shareware, which could
easily be downloaded without buying a magazine.

Not UK.

And because you can buy a car doesn't mean taxis don't exist.

A new low level of BS, even for you !

geoff
Old April 11th 20, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

So remind me which was the first Mac to be sold without an internal floppy
drive.

powerbook duo 210 and 230, released in october, 1992.

those were followed by the duo 250, 270c, 280, 280c and 2300, all of
which predate the imac.

All laptops most bought external drives with them.

nope. people used the duo standalone, without a dock or peripheral.
whatever docks they had remained at home or work.

Not that easy to download in 1992, due to slow speeds and needing a modem.

actually, it was very easy.

apps were *much* smaller back then and didn't take very long to
download.

people were downloading apps back in the 1980s from bbses without any
issues, other than busy signals calling in. in fact, it was a very
popular distribution method for freeware/shareware. people were also
sending email and even real time chat.

a lot of people think the internet began in the 1990s. they are very
mistaken.
Old April 11th 20, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Not everyone needed graphics

that is nothing more than a rationalization for a lesser computer.

Not everyone need them, not everyone needed a sports car either.

that would explain why the command line is so incredibly popular today.

oh wait.

try using that excuse today.

Only an idiot would.

so i see.

Not everyone needed an idiot proof computer.

everyone does, because most people do stupid things and then blame the
computer.

Most had brains they could use.

except most did not use their brain.

on a mac, that's impossible. if you put in the wrong disk, it will
eject it and keep asking until you insert the correct one.

So.

the so is that it makes it impossible to **** up and lose data.

anything that can cause data loss is unacceptable. full stop.

And again at much higher cost partly due to having to be external and
SCSI.

scsi didn't exist for the early macs, however, it was *much* better
than ide on pcs.

But they got the job done so it didn't matter.

not very well, it didn't. try connecting three drives on one ide bus.

Most didn't need to.

you're trying to justify a lesser computer.

Plenty of reasons for students in a lab and even researchers.

no there wasn't. sharing files can be done far more easily and much
faster over the network, which every mac had built in since day one.

Not between separate labs and building. Although I was the 1st person
use appletalk between two floors.

yes between separate labs and buildings. even across cities and towns.

Not using Appletalk.

yes using appletalk. btdt.

Not very useful for most people and it was soon replaced with Ethernet.

it was *extremely* useful for most people, who could easily network any
number of macs in a matter of seconds using ordinary rj11 telephone
cable, including what's already in the wall.

back in the day, people would carry phonenet adapters and phone cable
so they could instantly connect with a colleague and exchange files or
play network games. it was so far ahead of anything on the windows
side.

we had macs connected to unix boxes, which were connected to the
internet, all back in the mid-80s.

Didn't happen for most until the 1990s.

false.

now the macs *are* the unix boxes.

Not for most people, we don't use Macs as servers.

yes for most people, and nobody said anything about servers.

every mac is a unix box.
Old April 11th 20, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

grades have no relevance to operating system.

They did, only the top people got to use the best computers.

that's dumb. how can the bottom people become top if they're stuck with
****ty computers?

They don't idiot, just like when you learn to drive you rarely learn in a
sports car.

depends what vehicles their parents have, and this isn't about learning
how to drive anyway.

Secretaries weren't studying for degrees or even Phds.
TCP/IP wasn't 'invented' on a Mac.

nobody said it was, however, macs supported tcp/ip *long* before
windows did.

Men got to the moon without Macs too.

irrelevant.
Old April 11th 20, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , nospam
wrote:

it was *extremely* useful for most people, who could easily network any
number of macs in a matter of seconds using ordinary rj11 telephone
cable, including what's already in the wall.

back in the day, people would carry phonenet adapters and phone cable
so they could instantly connect with a colleague and exchange files or
play network games. it was so far ahead of anything on the windows
side.

Aye. For the time, AppleTalk/Localtalk was a miracle. Slow, yes -
230kbps. But it was spectacularly resilient and easy to set up. And
remember, no WWW so the data volume transmitted was relatively small.

The completely automatic configuration (no IP addresses, no DHCP) was
and is amazing.

Appletalk was extended with aftermarket wiring schemes (like the
aforementioned PhoneNet) routers, bridges, and signal boosters.

I recall extending a network between two buildings by connecting a
couple of wires to water pipes running between them.

The alternative was the use of "thinnet" (10Base5) coaxial cables
daisy-chained to each device. Installed and troubleshooted far too much
of that. At least I missed the earlier "thicknet" (10Base2) with
piercing cables insulation to make a connection.
Old April 11th 20, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Scott Schuckert
wrote:

it was *extremely* useful for most people, who could easily network any
number of macs in a matter of seconds using ordinary rj11 telephone
cable, including what's already in the wall.

back in the day, people would carry phonenet adapters and phone cable
so they could instantly connect with a colleague and exchange files or
play network games. it was so far ahead of anything on the windows
side.

Aye. For the time, AppleTalk/Localtalk was a miracle. Slow, yes -
230kbps.

slow compared to now, but for its time, it was quite fast.

back then, a 2400 bps modem was 'fast'.

the localtalk ports could also be clocked at 1mbit for serial
connections, which was *really* fast.

less than decade later, macs had 10 mbit ethernet on the logic board.

But it was spectacularly resilient and easy to set up. And
remember, no WWW so the data volume transmitted was relatively small.

everything was relatively small.

apps were tiny, typically tens of megabytes. the entire mac system
along with several apps could fit on a 400 kilobyte floppy disk, with
room to spare for documents.

The completely automatic configuration (no IP addresses, no DHCP) was
and is amazing.

yep. there were a lot of very good ideas that are nothing more than
history.

i remember the disbelief from pc users when they saw how easily two
macs could be connected in a matter of seconds to copy files, and even
more disbelief when a third or a fourth mac was added, especially when
it used the standard phone jack in the wall.

anyplace where there was more than one mac, it was almost certain they
were networked together, including at people's homes, meetings,
parties, coffeeshops, etc.

it was *so* far ahead of anything else at the time, and one of many
reasons why there was very little need for a floppy drive, a concept pc
users still to this day do not understand.

Appletalk was extended with aftermarket wiring schemes (like the
aforementioned PhoneNet) routers, bridges, and signal boosters.

yep. all very easy to set up and use, while pc users were trying to
figure out modems.

I recall extending a network between two buildings by connecting a
couple of wires to water pipes running between them.

The alternative was the use of "thinnet" (10Base5) coaxial cables
daisy-chained to each device. Installed and troubleshooted far too much
of that. At least I missed the earlier "thicknet" (10Base2) with
piercing cables insulation to make a connection.

thicknet was a pain in the butt.
Old April 11th 20, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

Comparison of AppleTalk's PAP (Printer Access Protocol) to TCP/IP's
decade-later Internet Printer Protocol is left as an exercise for the
alert student.

When I started with IPP, I felt I'd gone back a decade, rather than
forward.

Fun trivia: Back in the old days, if one of the engineers in Cupertino
wasn't answering my emails, I'd dial (from Pennsylvania) into the modem
pool, search out their printer, and PRINT my query next to their desk.
Old April 12th 20, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

The alternative was the use of "thinnet" (10Base5) coaxial cables
daisy-chained to each device. Installed and troubleshooted far too much
of that.

All our macs needed boards or cards for it, with BNC connectors and T pieces.

then your macs were very old.

macs started to include ethernet on the logic board in 1991, no
additional card needed.
Old April 12th 20, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

So remind me which was the first Mac to be sold without an internal
floppy
drive.

powerbook duo 210 and 230, released in october, 1992.

those were followed by the duo 250, 270c, 280, 280c and 2300, all of
which predate the imac.

All laptops most bought external drives with them.

nope. people used the duo standalone, without a dock or peripheral.
whatever docks they had remained at home or work.

The docks had a floppy drive, that was part of the point of them.

only the full size dock had a floppy drive. it also had card slots.
doesn't mean any of it was used.

the minidock just added ports:
https://www.oldcomputr.com/wp-conten...le_macintosh_d
uo_minidock.jpg
https://www.oldcomputr.com/wp-conten...le_macintosh_d
uo_minidock-back.jpg
https://www.oldcomputr.com/wp-conten...le_powerbook_2
300c-minidock-undocking.jpg

third party docks also added ports, but in different combinations and
usually fewer so that the dock was smaller. the various microdocks were
quite popular, which added just one or two ports.

Not that easy to download in 1992, due to slow speeds and needing a modem.

actually, it was very easy.

Not for most.

yes for most, and there were numerous telecom apps available.

apps were *much* smaller back then and didn't take very long to
download.

people were downloading apps back in the 1980s from bbses without any
issues, other than busy signals calling in. in fact, it was a very
popular distribution method for freeware/shareware. people were also
sending email and even real time chat.

But still very slow I used them, if they were so good then floppies wouldn't
have been on Mags.

it wasn't slow since most apps were small. some of the larger ones did
take time but you could do something else while it downloaded.

kind of like today. nobody babysits a 5 gig download.

a lot of people think the internet began in the 1990s. they are very
mistaken.

For them it did. Not everyone had access to such things.

they could if they wanted it.
Old April 12th 20, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Not everyone needed graphics

that is nothing more than a rationalization for a lesser computer.

Not everyone need them, not everyone needed a sports car either.

that would explain why the command line is so incredibly popular today.

That has nothing to do with it.
Pens and pencil are still used today.

far more use computers than pencils.

Not everyone needed an idiot proof computer.

everyone does, because most people do stupid things and then blame the
computer.

That will never change.

exactly why a computer needs to be idiot-proof.

Most had brains they could use.

except most did not use their brain.

you're personal experience is a fine example of that.
you couldn't even copy from drive A to drive A you claimed it couldn't be
done.

it can't, since the computer only know *a* disk is in the drive, not
*which* disk.

that guarantees a failure at some point.

on a mac, it's impossible.

those that used the first computers did have brains and they knew how to use
them.

not really, since they came up with cobol.

And again at much higher cost partly due to having to be external
and SCSI.

scsi didn't exist for the early macs, however, it was *much* better
than ide on pcs.

But they got the job done so it didn't matter.

not very well, it didn't. try connecting three drives on one ide bus.

Most didn't need to.

you're trying to justify a lesser computer.

That's why there;s a range of computers available isn't it.
Not everyone needs a Mac pro that is maxed out spec wise.

straw man.

Not between separate labs and building. Although I was the 1st
person
use appletalk between two floors.

yes between separate labs and buildings. even across cities and
towns.

Not using Appletalk.

yes using appletalk. btdt.

Not very useful for most people and it was soon replaced with Ethernet.

it was *extremely* useful for most people, who could easily network any
number of macs in a matter of seconds using ordinary rj11 telephone
cable, including what's already in the wall.

Most Macs didn't have rj11 called phonenet you needed an adapter.

nobody said they had rj11 ports.

the phonenet adapters were cheap and everyone had phone cord.

The early Macs had the rather expensive RS-422.

it was not rather expensive.

I wired them up to our unix machines and the Macs were just glorified
terminals to mini-computers.

then you weren't taking full advantage of what could be done.

back in the day, people would carry phonenet adapters and phone cable
so they could instantly connect with a colleague and exchange files or
play network games. it was so far ahead of anything on the windows
side.

I know but not everyone was playing games at the uni. and those were in
computing had better things to do.

not everyone played games, although that was certainly one aspect of
networking, even today.

we had macs connected to unix boxes, which were connected to the
internet, all back in the mid-80s.

Didn't happen for most until the 1990s.

false.

Dial-up. Pipex was established in 1990 and began providing dial-up Internet
access in March 1992, the UK's first commercial Internet provider. By
November 1993 Pipex provided Internet service to 150 customer sites.

i didn't say dial-up.

now the macs *are* the unix boxes.

Not for most people, we don't use Macs as servers.

yes for most people, and nobody said anything about servers.

every mac is a unix box.

when we use UNIX we use UNIX computers, the largest computers used do NOT run Mac OS X

nobody said anything about 'the largest computers'