How to remove Rootkit malware from an Apple computer

Old April 6th 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

Default How to remove Rootkit malware from an Apple computer

On 6/04/2020 10:44 am, Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article , geoff
wrote:

This was 30 years ago. All I remember was having to waiting several
seconds for a floppy access for just about anything significant to occur.

If the Mac was old enough you were actually running apps or the OS from
the floppy, or storing files... Duh. Even if not, the classic (pre-OSX)
OS would "blip" a mounted floppy volume before disk I/O to make sure it
was still there.

Certainly 'pre-OSX' !

Come to think of it, my PC still has a vestigial 3.5" floppy and it
does the same thing.

I a PCs with a FDD installed (just the one, in case I ever need to
access something).

I have never noticed it 'blipping'. Do you leave a disk inside that is
being indexed ? If so, try turning Indexing off for that drive.

geoff

Old April 6th 20, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

On 6/04/2020 10:47 am, nospam wrote:
In article , geoff
wrote:

that seemed to have to access the floppy just about whenever a command
was entered.

commands are not entered on a mac. you're confused.

This was 30 years ago. All I remember was having to waiting several
seconds for a floppy access for just about anything significant to occur.

floppies are slow, plus computers back then were also slow.

the same thing would have happened with a pc running off a floppy.

put apps and documents on the hard drive and then there is no need to
use the floppy drive anymore, one reason why it was removed with the
first imac.

Actually I lie - I have got an iPod ( originally purchased specifically
for a couple of apps).

Um, and out of necessity Itunes - I rest my case. Undeniably(?) the
worst application ever designed.

no, there are much, much worse.

itunes works quite well for managing music and syncing idevices.

its biggest problem is that it grew to do all sorts of other tasks,
including the itunes store, initially for music but later videos and
apps, activating idevices, managing photos, videos, apps, ebooks,
podcasts, contacts, bookmarks, ring tones, and more, ultimately
resulting it being split into three separate apps.

The most unintuitive POS I've ever used. Even for its basic function.

geoff
Old April 6th 20, 10:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David[_22_]

On 04/04/2020 01:14, Whisky-dave wrote:
star wars theme music played by the sound of a dozen or more floppy drives being accessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM_sAxrAu7Q

I remember this! ;-)
Old April 6th 20, 11:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , geoff
wrote:

Um, and out of necessity Itunes - I rest my case. Undeniably(?) the
worst application ever designed.

no, there are much, much worse.

itunes works quite well for managing music and syncing idevices.

its biggest problem is that it grew to do all sorts of other tasks,
including the itunes store, initially for music but later videos and
apps, activating idevices, managing photos, videos, apps, ebooks,
podcasts, contacts, bookmarks, ring tones, and more, ultimately
resulting it being split into three separate apps.

The most unintuitive POS I've ever used. Even for its basic function.

what about it do you find unintuitive and how would you improve it?
Old April 7th 20, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

On 7/04/2020 10:57 am, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 5 April 2020 23:47:40 UTC+1, nospam wrote:

there was little slower than copying a file from floppy to floppy in the first Macintosh's it was a real pain, and the worst feature, it could take dozens of floppy swaps for a of a few k in size.

the same thing would have happened with a pc running off a floppy.

put apps and documents on the hard drive

They didn't exist for Macs and few could afford the first ones.
The first we bought was a Apple 20MB HD costing £500

Don't know about on Macs at the time, but on others was always a trivial
exercise to add an additional floppy to make copying from one to another
more straightforward.

geoff
Old April 7th 20, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

On 6/04/2020 10:18 pm, nospam wrote:
In article , geoff
wrote:

Um, and out of necessity Itunes - I rest my case. Undeniably(?) the
worst application ever designed.

no, there are much, much worse.

itunes works quite well for managing music and syncing idevices.

its biggest problem is that it grew to do all sorts of other tasks,
including the itunes store, initially for music but later videos and
apps, activating idevices, managing photos, videos, apps, ebooks,
podcasts, contacts, bookmarks, ring tones, and more, ultimately
resulting it being split into three separate apps.

The most unintuitive POS I've ever used. Even for its basic function.

what about it do you find unintuitive and how would you improve it?

The implementation of drag-and-drop never seemed as straightforward as
it should have been, and the Synching concept never seemed to avoid
generally stuffing things up, for me at least ...

geoff
Old April 7th 20, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

that seemed to have to access the floppy just about whenever a command
was entered.

commands are not entered on a mac. you're confused.

This was 30 years ago. All I remember was having to waiting several
seconds for a floppy access for just about anything significant to occur.

floppies are slow, plus computers back then were also slow.

there was little slower than copying a file from floppy to floppy in the
first Macintosh's it was a real pain, and the worst feature, it could take
dozens of floppy swaps for a of a few k in size.

that's what a second floppy drive is for.

but at least you *could* copy files between floppy disks using only one
floppy drive, something which was not possible at all on a pc.

the same thing would have happened with a pc running off a floppy.

put apps and documents on the hard drive

They didn't exist for Macs and few could afford the first ones.
The first we bought was a Apple 20MB HD costing £500

so they did exist.

and then there is no need to
use the floppy drive anymore,

Plenty of reasons for students in a lab and even researchers.

no there wasn't. sharing files can be done far more easily and much
faster over the network, which every mac had built in since day one.

Even with the LC range they came with software and the OS on 10 floppies in a
plastic wallet.

once installed, the floppies are no longer needed.

one reason why it was removed with the
first imac.

That took over a decade to happen.

no.
Old April 7th 20, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , geoff
wrote:

The most unintuitive POS I've ever used. Even for its basic function.

what about it do you find unintuitive and how would you improve it?

The implementation of drag-and-drop never seemed as straightforward as
it should have been,

how should it have been?

drag songs anywhere into the itunes window, a very big drop target, and
they are added to the library.

it doesn't get any easier than that.

and the Synching concept never seemed to avoid
generally stuffing things up, for me at least ...

how so?

create and edit whatever playlists you want with whatever music you
want in whatever order you want, or create a smart playlist based on
whatever criteria you want.

choose which playlists you want synced to the device, click sync and it
will update the device withe the changes. only the first sync takes a
while. subsequent syncs only copy the changes, which is typically not
that many songs and very fast.

syncing can also be configured to happen automatically any time the
device is connected to the computer or wirelessly when connected to a
charger rather than manually clicking a button.
Old April 7th 20, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , geoff
wrote:

there was little slower than copying a file from floppy to floppy in the
first Macintosh's it was a real pain, and the worst feature, it could take
dozens of floppy swaps for a of a few k in size.

the same thing would have happened with a pc running off a floppy.

put apps and documents on the hard drive

They didn't exist for Macs and few could afford the first ones.
The first we bought was a Apple 20MB HD costing £500

Don't know about on Macs at the time, but on others was always a trivial
exercise to add an additional floppy to make copying from one to another
more straightforward.

it's trivial to add an external floppy drive on macs.

what ever gave you the idea it wasn't?

with a hard drive (internal or external), there's no need for a second
floppy drive (or even a first one).
Old April 7th 20, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , nospam
wrote:

with a hard drive (internal or external), there's no need for a second
floppy drive (or even a first one).

(Chuckles) Well, usually. The first Mac for which a hard drive was
available, the Macintosh 512k, couldn't boot from the HD. You had to
start it from a floppy, which contained the boot code, and switch over
to the OS on the HD.

Sounds awful, and was - but this WAS 1985.

BTW, this is pre-SCSI. The original 20 MB hard drive attached to the
external floppy port.