All-in-One PCs

Old January 24th 16, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Browne

Default All-in-One PCs

On 2016-01-24 09:46, David Taylor wrote:
On 24/01/2016 13:17, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , android
says...

The consensus is that if you really want an all in one then the iMac is
the way to go... The real way to go is, however to buy a Mini Mac and
hook up a screen of your choice!

Fine, but is there anything with Windows?

Yes, for example Dell offer 23-inch and 24-inch units. Their latest:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-24...?ref=PD_Family

Doubtless other manufacturers offer something similar. "All-in-one"
appears to be Dell's key phrase for these PCs.

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/desktops

The units have just a full HD display, though.

Indeed ... so coarse Dell seem embarrassed to list the pixel dimensions
on that impressive-to-the-innocent page of specs.

It's likely 1080 which is pretty coarse by today's standards.

My ancient (2012) iMac (27") is 2560 x 1440 and an up to date iMac
retina is 4096 x 2304 pixels.

--
"But I am somehow extraordinarily lucky, for a guy with ****ty luck."
..Harrison Ford, Rolling Stone - 2015-12-02
Old January 24th 16, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , android
says...
Why?

Very simple - I don't have any Mac software. And I have no clue whether
and how Windows will run on a Mac.

If Apple were offering Macs with preinstalled Windows (why aren't
they?), I would consider one.

But I'm surprised that you suggest a Mac, when almost everybody is using
Windows machines.

I couldn't care less about Windows vs Mac vs Linux vs whatever. But
since everything I have is with Windows, my next PC will be a Windows
one.
--
Alfred Molon

Old January 24th 16, 04:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Browne

In message
On 2016-01-24 09:40, android wrote:
In article ,

On 2016-01-24 08:28, android wrote:
In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , android
says...

The consensus is that if you really want an all in one then the iMac is
the way to go... The real way to go is, however to buy a Mini Mac and
hook up a screen of your choice!

Fine, but is there anything with Windows?

Why? Whatever! You can run W10 in Bootcamp IIRC...

Bootcamp is next to useless. Run Windows in a VM such as VMWare Fusion
or Parallels.

Whatever, some have very little use for Windows. I boot it once or twice
per month on average...

iMac's are fantastic. For a Windows user who has a monitor, keyboard
and mouse, the Mac Mini is a fine transition machine, but none come with
a quad core i7.

The newer iMac's with 5K retina displays are magnificent.

I like to Lego approach... One pice broken? Then fix THAT one.

The only difference between a Mac mini setup and an iMac is the screen
and the brick. The Mac Mini has become a turd in terms of repairing -
though not as bad as an iMac which now involves ordering a glue-gasket
to put it all back together ...

You do not need a glue gun for an iMac.

I never said one did. What one does need is the glue-gasket to put the
screen bezel back in place after making a repair.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+In...lacement/15624

There are significant differences between the Mac mini and the iMac.
Processors and GPU are the most obvious ones.

Yes, I alluded to that elsewhere in this thread.

Old January 24th 16, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
android

In article ,

On 2016-01-24 09:40, android wrote:
In article ,

On 2016-01-24 08:28, android wrote:
In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

[...]

Lego: If the CPU is a gonner then i get to keep the display. If the
display lost it then i get to keep the CPU. That's the way that I want
it.

So, for a photographer who needs a great displays and a powerful main
processor and pretty good graphics processor, the iMac has it all over
what one could do with a mini and 3rd party monitor.

But I wanna pick the display meself!

If one wants the 'lego' approach one might as well stick to desktop
machines.

The MacPro isn't that different in the respect that it's a unit
separated from the screen
--
teleportation kills
Old January 24th 16, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Browne

On 2016-01-24 04:55, android wrote:
In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

Just curious if anyone is using all in one PCs for image processing and
if yes which ones.

The consensus is that if you really want an all in one then the iMac is
the way to go... The real way to go is, however to buy a Mini Mac and
hook up a screen of your choice!

Personally I'm currently eyeing some models with a 24" or 27" screen and
4K resolution.

Yeah - Android x-posted this to the Mac group making it look like you
were interested in Macs as well - I picked up on it in the Mac group.

FU set.

Old January 24th 16, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Just curious if anyone is using all in one PCs for image processing and
| if yes which ones.
|
| Personally I'm currently eyeing some models with a 24" or 27" screen and
| 4K resolution.

You might want to ask in a Windows forum if
you want to hear from people who actually know
about Windows.

The all-in-ones are basically budget machines.
Like iMacs, they have limited upgradeability, yet
typically cost far too much for what you get because
of the basic rule of electronics: Smaller costs more.
And like any kind of all-in-one, if one part breaks
you may have to junk the whole thing.

If you want the best possible display then I
wonder why you'd limit yourself to all-in-ones.
Presumably you don't need portability, so why
not just have a desktop computer and look for
the best monitor?

Old January 24th 16, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
android

In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

my next PC will be a Windows
one.

Oki...
--
teleportation kills
Old January 24th 16, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,

On 2016-01-24 04:55, android wrote:
In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

Just curious if anyone is using all in one PCs for image processing and
if yes which ones.

The consensus is that if you really want an all in one then the iMac is
the way to go... The real way to go is, however to buy a Mini Mac and
hook up a screen of your choice!

Personally I'm currently eyeing some models with a 24" or 27" screen and
4K resolution.

Yeah - Android x-posted this to the Mac group making it look like you
were interested in Macs as well - I picked up on it in the Mac group.

FU set.

Since oninalls is generally Macturf I thought that Alfred could get some
useful input from the Mac group. I was right.
--
teleportation kills
Old January 24th 16, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , android
says...
Since oninalls is generally Macturf I thought that Alfred could get some
useful input from the Mac group. I was right.

Indeed I got some "interesting" input. Somebody insulted me for no
reason.

I've nothing against Macs. It's just that my stuff is all Windows...
--
Alfred Molon

Old January 24th 16, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Mayayana says...

You might want to ask in a Windows forum if
you want to hear from people who actually know
about Windows.

I asked in rpd - never posted in a Mac forum.

The all-in-ones are basically budget machines.

Not really. Some are quite high-end (4K screens, I7 processors, 32GB RAM
etc.)

Like iMacs, they have limited upgradeability, yet
typically cost far too much for what you get because
of the basic rule of electronics: Smaller costs more.
And like any kind of all-in-one, if one part breaks
you may have to junk the whole thing.

Unless you can repair it and upgrade it yourself. But unfortunately many
AiOs are stuff which is glued together :-(

If you want the best possible display then I
wonder why you'd limit yourself to all-in-ones.

Convenience - only one "box", no mess of multiple boxes connected with
cables.

Presumably you don't need portability, so why
not just have a desktop computer and look for
the best monitor?

See above. In principle the ideal device is a 24-27" tablet with fast i7
processor, 32GB RAM or more, slot for SSD and slot for 2.5" HDD, 4K high
quality display (those with the new RGB LEDs), user upgradeable (user
can open it and replace/upgrade HDD, SSD and memory, weight as light
possible ( 2 or 3 Kg). With sort of a mounting bracket so that you can
fix it as a monior and take it off in case you want. Internal battery
not needed or perhaps small for for 5 minutes of autonomy, in case the
power gets cut off for some reason.

But we are quite far away from such as a device. Currently on the market
you find only behemoths with up to 16 Kg of weight.
--
Alfred Molon