Raw photo software

Old August 11th 12, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Raw photo software

XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
for processing raw photos?

Photos from Nikon and Panasonic cameras.

No Photoshop.

RawTherapee sometimes crashes with a VC++ runtime error.

UFRaw crashes generally. (GIMP 2.8 is installed with UFRaw
installed to the GIMP folder. I haven't yet tried installing an
earlier GIMP version.)

Found Delaboratory but haven't yet tried it.

Another option seems to be Photiva. But Delaboratory
and Photiva both seem to be lacking even the most
basic documentation.

Panasonic software is pretty good, but only for the
Panasonic camera. Nikon's ViewNX is limited and their
more involved software is expensive.

Old August 11th 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 8/11/2012 4:42 PM, Mayayana wrote:
XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
for processing raw photos?

Photos from Nikon and Panasonic cameras.

No Photoshop.

RawTherapee sometimes crashes with a VC++ runtime error.

UFRaw crashes generally. (GIMP 2.8 is installed with UFRaw
installed to the GIMP folder. I haven't yet tried installing an
earlier GIMP version.)

Found Delaboratory but haven't yet tried it.

Another option seems to be Photiva. But Delaboratory
and Photiva both seem to be lacking even the most
basic documentation.

Panasonic software is pretty good, but only for the
Panasonic camera. Nikon's ViewNX is limited and their
more involved software is expensive.

Try Corel PhotoPaint.

--
Peter
Old August 12th 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
for processing raw photos?

lightroom.
Old August 12th 12, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-08-11 16:34:42 -0700, nospam said:

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
for processing raw photos?

lightroom.

Yup!

Savageduck

Old August 12th 12, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 16:57:51 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 8/11/2012 4:42 PM, Mayayana wrote:
XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
for processing raw photos?

Photos from Nikon and Panasonic cameras.

No Photoshop.

RawTherapee sometimes crashes with a VC++ runtime error.

UFRaw crashes generally. (GIMP 2.8 is installed with UFRaw
installed to the GIMP folder. I haven't yet tried installing an
earlier GIMP version.)

Found Delaboratory but haven't yet tried it.

Another option seems to be Photiva. But Delaboratory
and Photiva both seem to be lacking even the most
basic documentation.

Panasonic software is pretty good, but only for the
Panasonic camera. Nikon's ViewNX is limited and their
more involved software is expensive.

Try Corel PhotoPaint.

No don't. It's obsolete and never had a raw converter, as far as I
know.

Try Corel Paint Shop Pro.

Eric Stevens
Old August 12th 12, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
| for processing raw photos?
|
| lightroom.

The latest version doesn't support XP. But I'm
not sure it's really what I'm looking for, either.
It seems to be a photo organizer. (The descriptions
are vague.)

Old August 12th 12, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Try Corel PhotoPaint.

That seems to be a basic grpahic editor. I'm looking
specifically for a raw photo editor. At this point I'm
looking for open source options, mainly because the
price of Photoshop is absurd. But a very good program
at a reasonable price would also be fine.

Old August 12th 12, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Try he
| http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5389

That's something I didn't know about, but how
does it apply to raw photo editors? UFRaw and
RawTherapee can both handle different formats.
I can open a Nikon .NEF in either, for instance.
It's just that the programs themselves don't seem
to be stable. Would conversion to the neutral format
help with that?

Old August 12th 12, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
| for processing raw photos?
|
| lightroom.

The latest version doesn't support XP.

maybe you can still find an older version.

But I'm
not sure it's really what I'm looking for, either.
It seems to be a photo organizer. (The descriptions
are vague.)

it's an organizer, raw processor, output manager (print, web, slide
show, books, etc.) and more.

it does just about everything most people need.

highly recommended.

30 day free trial (although probably not for the older xp compatible
version).
Old August 12th 12, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Try he
| http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5389

That's something I didn't know about, but how
does it apply to raw photo editors? UFRaw and
RawTherapee can both handle different formats.
I can open a Nikon .NEF in either, for instance.
It's just that the programs themselves don't seem
to be stable. Would conversion to the neutral format
help with that?

adobe camera raw (part of lightroom) will process just about any raw
format there is.