Evil Apple in trouble again

Old April 14th 12, 09:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Evil Apple in trouble again

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 00:39:53 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article
,
RichA wrote:

No printing costs. No warehousing. No retail environments, no
shipping costs. All characteristics of e-books.

you are neglecting production costs (not the same for print), storage &
bandwidth, order processing, updating the books and more.

Which is why they
were cheaper than hard and soft-bound physical books.

no that's not why at all.

amazon was selling ebooks below cost to kill off any competition and to
increase sales of the kindle. losing money can only last for so long,
and once there's little to no competition left, the prices will go back
up.

But Apple, that
"customer friendly" company didn't like that. And they wanted a 30%
cut just for disseminating electronic copies of books.

the 30% is not 'just for disseminating.' it's the agency model versus
the wholesale model.

So they
colluded with publishers to fix prices at much higher levels. I hope
they throw the "book" at that company.

according to the ceo of one of the book publishers in the lawsuit,
there was no collusion with his company which probably means there was
not with any others.
http://us.macmillan.com/NewsDetails.aspx?id=28237

It is also hard to settle a lawsuit when you know you have done no
wrong. The government¹s charge is that Macmillan¹s CEO colluded with
other CEO¹s in changing to the agency model. I am Macmillan¹s CEO and
I made the decision to move Macmillan to the agency model. After days
of thought and worry, I made the decision on January 22nd, 2010 a
little after 4:00 AM, on an exercise bike in my basement. It remains
the loneliest decision I have ever made, and I see no reason to go
back on it now.

I actually would like to see
someone in jail.

that should be amazon's ceo.

Why? He made a decision about pricing when there was no one else in
the market. Prices were low so book buyers certainly didn't suffer.
Why is that wrong?

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old April 14th 12, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I actually would like to see someone in jail.

that should be amazon's ceo.

Why? He made a decision about pricing when there was no one else in
the market. Prices were low so book buyers certainly didn't suffer.
Why is that wrong?

selling below cost to squash all competition.
Old April 14th 12, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-04-14 08:57 , nospam wrote:
In , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I actually would like to see someone in jail.

that should be amazon's ceo.

Why? He made a decision about pricing when there was no one else in
the market. Prices were low so book buyers certainly didn't suffer.
Why is that wrong?

selling below cost to squash all competition.

Where Amazon appear to be most below cost is in S&H. Free shipping on
orders over $25 is excessively generous (used to be for over $50, then
$35 ...).

Further, they will split a shipment if not immediately available -
shipping costs double. (If you request them to 'hold' until complete, a
computer replies that you should not worry, they'll ship what they can
immediately. Wasteful).

But, that is Bezos' goal: to make Amazon the go to for online shoppers.
Amazon's profit is near 0. (Revenue growth is near 50% but net income
growth is negative). Net profits are 2%.

Some shareholders are howling. (On $10B less annual income, Google
makes about 15X more net). This is reflected in the stagnant stock price.

I purchase a lot of DVD's and books via Amazon, but usually from
resellers, mostly used. I get most DVD's for about $6 - $8 including
shipping. Books a bit more because of the higher S&H.

My SO buys a lot of books from Amazon. In the Montreal area where
English titles are harder to get, Amazon is the go to.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old April 14th 12, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

I actually would like to see someone in jail.

that should be amazon's ceo.

Why? He made a decision about pricing when there was no one else in
the market. Prices were low so book buyers certainly didn't suffer.
Why is that wrong?

selling below cost to squash all competition.

So if you own a business, and make or distribute a product, the right
thing to do is to price your product at a level that the competition
can match?

Why are you in business? To sell your own product or to help the
competition sell theirs?

we lose money on every sale but make it up in volume!
Old April 15th 12, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
,
RichA wrote:

They probably have the most favorable shipping costs in the U.S. Or,
they could be like GREEDY B&H and charge $25.00 to ship a 2oz remote
control.

bull****. i just picked a uv filter which is about the same weight as
your remote and shipping is $3.99.
Old April 15th 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-14 19:12:07 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:24:38 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article
,
RichA wrote:

They probably have the most favorable shipping costs in the U.S. Or,
they could be like GREEDY B&H and charge $25.00 to ship a 2oz remote
control.

bull****. i just picked a uv filter which is about the same weight as
your remote and shipping is $3.99.

Bull****, yourself. RichA is in Canada. Your shipping charge is from
B&H to a US destination. B&H, and others, actually do rip off
Canadian buyers on shipping charges. There is probably some reason
for the excessive shipping charges, but it hasn't been explained.

How could you post in this newsgroup for as long as you have and not
know RichA is Canadian?

Engage mind before engaging keyboard.

B&H do not bother themselves with Canadian customs clearing charges,
which include Canadian taxes, and let their shippers, UPS or FEDEX I
believe, set the charges on top of actual shipping. They just collect
that amount upfront from the Canadian customer.

B&H International shipping:
"1 International orders are generally subject to local import duties
and taxes (VAT). B&H offers the convenience of handling these fees on
your behalf for specific countries and for many items. If your order
qualifies for this option, it will be presented to you during the
checkout process.

2 If you choose to use this service, B&H will collect and pay any local
import duties and taxes on your behalf. By choosing this service, you
authorize B&H to charge your credit card used on this order for your
additional import duties, VAT or taxes. You also authorize B&H to
charge your credit card used on this order for any subsequent delivery
fee resulting from incorrectly identifying your address as a business
vs residence.

3 If you decline to use our pre-paid service, B&H is not responsible
for, nor can we offer, any specific advice regarding any customs
related fees that you may incur. For specific information, please
consult with your local government import office."

Then there is another Canadian who uses this forum, who ships to a US
drop address, and then takes a drive to collect, whenever it is cost
effective to do so.

So what we have is a continuation of the Rich anti-everything
(particularly if it impacts his wallet) rant.

Savageduck

Old April 15th 12, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 14, 11:35*am, Alan Browne
On 2012-04-14 08:57 , nospam wrote:

In , Eric Stevens
*wrote:

I actually would like to see someone in jail.

that should be amazon's ceo.

Why? He made a decision about pricing when there was no one else in
the market. Prices were low so book buyers certainly didn't suffer.
Why is that wrong?

selling below cost to squash all competition.

Where Amazon appear to be most below cost is in S&H. *Free shipping on
orders over $25 is excessively generous (used to be for over $50, then
$35 ...).

They probably have the most favorable shipping costs in the U.S. Or,
they could be like GREEDY B&H and charge $25.00 to ship a 2oz remote
control.

It seems the "GREED" here lies with the Canadian government, not B&H
(unless you are making another of your usual anti-Semitic, anti NYC
remarks.)

I guess you never read B&H's statement on International shipping:

Old April 15th 12, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

They probably have the most favorable shipping costs in the U.S. Or,
they could be like GREEDY B&H and charge $25.00 to ship a 2oz remote
control.

bull****. i just picked a uv filter which is about the same weight as
your remote and shipping is $3.99.

Bull****, yourself. RichA is in Canada. Your shipping charge is from
B&H to a US destination. B&H, and others, actually do rip off
Canadian buyers on shipping charges. There is probably some reason
for the excessive shipping charges, but it hasn't been explained.

he specifically said 'most favorable shipping costs in the U.S.' he did
not say shipping costs to canada.

in any event, b&h will ship the same item to canada for $8.53, not his
claimed $25, so it's still bull****.

don't you have anything better to do than argue about meaningless
things?

Engage mind before engaging keyboard.

you should take your own advice.
Old April 15th 12, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-14 21:54:14 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 19:55:59 -0700, Savageduck

On Apr 14, 11:35*am, Alan Browne
On 2012-04-14 08:57 , nospam wrote:

In , Eric Stevens
*wrote:

I actually would like to see someone in jail.

that should be amazon's ceo.

Why? He made a decision about pricing when there was no one else in
the market. Prices were low so book buyers certainly didn't suffer.
Why is that wrong?

selling below cost to squash all competition.

Where Amazon appear to be most below cost is in S&H. *Free shipping on
orders over $25 is excessively generous (used to be for over $50, then
$35 ...).

They probably have the most favorable shipping costs in the U.S. Or,
they could be like GREEDY B&H and charge $25.00 to ship a 2oz remote
control.

It seems the "GREED" here lies with the Canadian government, not B&H
(unless you are making another of your usual anti-Semitic, anti NYC
remarks.)

The Canadian government is protecting Canadian businesses. The
product can be purchased by a Canadian from a Canadian camera dealer,
but RichA is ****ed off because he wants to spend his money with an
American business that offers the product for less (excluding shipping
and taxes) instead of doing business with a Canadian dealer.

Canada is doing exactly what the US does when it imposes import
tariffs on foreign-made goods: protecting the businesses at home.

Excuse my hyperbolic rhetoric, matching Rich's. Your irony meter must
be experiencing some interference.

I am well aware of various national import policies and practices, and
so is B&H. There was a reason I quoted their policy for delivery to
Canada.

It was Rich who was implying some consumer exploitation on the part of
B&H, when in fact they are complying with Canadian import regulations
by offering the service to their Canadian customers. Rich resents
having to pay his Canadian import duty, customs clearing charges and
local taxes. He also has his own personal opinions on NYC vendors, yet
he still chooses to use them. He somehow, believes he should be exempt
from any taxes, Canadian or NY State, and he should get the free
shipping offered to US domestic 48 State customers, even though that is
not offered to foreign buyers.

Savageduck

Old April 15th 12, 06:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-14 21:31:38 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 23:14:47 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

They probably have the most favorable shipping costs in the U.S. Or,
they could be like GREEDY B&H and charge $25.00 to ship a 2oz remote
control.

bull****. i just picked a uv filter which is about the same weight as
your remote and shipping is $3.99.

Bull****, yourself. RichA is in Canada. Your shipping charge is from
B&H to a US destination. B&H, and others, actually do rip off
Canadian buyers on shipping charges. There is probably some reason
for the excessive shipping charges, but it hasn't been explained.

he specifically said 'most favorable shipping costs in the U.S.' he did
not say shipping costs to canada.

He didn't need to say "to Canada". He's in Canada, anyone who reads
the group knows he's in Canada, and he's ridden in on this hobby-horse
before.

The "most favorable shipping cost" was about Amazon, and "in" in the
US means "in" and not "from" to him.

in any event, b&h will ship the same item to canada for $8.53, not his
claimed $25, so it's still bull****.

If the B&H fee includes fees for other than just postage, then it's
not weight that determines the cost. What it would cost for a filter
is irrelevant.

Here is the B&H Canadian shipping policy again. rick could have opted
out of the customs clearance, and Canadian tax charges, but he would
have then incurred those costs in Canada before delivery was made. The
only difference being that he would have paid in Can$, not US$.

[...]

It may or may not be bull****, but you have no idea. You jumped in to
comment on something you knew nothing about, you've now doubled your
estimate, and you have the wrong product. I know where the bull****
is coming from.

Just admit it...you were wrong.

Savageduck