Dust spots on my pictures

Old March 23rd 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Dust spots on my pictures

On 2011-03-23 07:48:31 -0700, JENNY said:

I have dust spots on some of my pictures that I shoot. It looks like
dust particles especially when I am shooting with a blue sky.
Wondering how I can get rid of them??

I have tried the sensor cleaning..no luck.

What DSLR are you using?

Have you done a "wet" clean of the sensor, or are you just using the
camera's sensor cleaning feature from the menu?

Occasionally, due to extreme weather, some condensation spot are
unavoidable, and can only be fixed by "wet" cleaning.

Here are a few suggestions for reading and cleaning tools:
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
http://www.photosol.com/store/pc/home.asp

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C...-Supplies.aspx

Just remember, to take things slow and do not panic. This is not rocket
science.

Savageduck

Old March 23rd 11, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 3/23/11 10:43 AM, in article
, "JENNY"

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C...leaning-Suppli...

Just remember, to take things slow and do not panic. This is not rocket
science.

Savageduck

I use a Canon 30D. I have just used the sensor cleaner. No wet
cleaning. Is this pretty simple to do? I am worried about messing
things up?!?!?!

Jenny, are you near a 'real' camera store? If so, the people who work there
will usually clean it for you at no charge. At least they used to last time
I checked. Good luck!

Old March 23rd 11, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Mar 23, 10:26*am, Savageduck
wrote:
On 2011-03-23 07:48:31 -0700, JENNY said:

[...]

Doing a "wet" cleaning is not difficult with the right tools. However
you should have a degree of confidence working with the tools available.
If you want to do this yourself, read the first link I gave you above.
The Photosol products are very good and do the job.
If you are still not comfortable doing the job, find a competent camera
store, they might have somebody who could do that for you. Your local
BestBuy or Walmart is not likely to have anybody with any more skill at
this than you have.

I became well practiced at wet cleaning with My D70, which was a
veritable dust magnet.
I have only had to wet clean my D300s once as the in-camera sensor dust
removal system in that works very well.

Savageduck

Old March 23rd 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 3/23/11 12:42 PM, in article
, "JENNY"
wrote:

On Mar 23, 11:01*am, George Kerby wrote:
On 3/23/11 10:43 AM, in article
, "JENNY"

On Mar 23, 10:26*am, Savageduck
On 2011-03-23 07:48:31 -0700, JENNY said:

[...]

I checked. Good luck!- Hide quoted text -

No, I am not - but am going to Minneapolis this weekend, maybe I could
find one there? anybody know? Or does anyone have a chain store that
they use?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Minneapolis+Camera+Store

Old March 23rd 11, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

JENNY wrote in
:

On Mar 23, 10:26*am, Savageduck
wrote:
On 2011-03-23 07:48:31 -0700, JENNY said:

[...]

The only safe method:

1. Blow off any dust possible with a blower brush.
2. Brush off any dust possible with a sensor brush or natural-end camel
hair brush as used for lenses. No cut ends!
3. Use a wet sensor swab for anything that the other two methods don't
work on.
Old March 24th 11, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete Stavrakoglou

"Rich" wrote in message
JENNY wrote in
:

On Mar 23, 10:26 am, Savageduck
wrote:
On 2011-03-23 07:48:31 -0700, JENNY said:

[...]

Why is this the only safe method? There is another method I use that is
just as safe - the viscous method such as the DustAid Platinum. It's a safe
enough method that Canon Japan distributes a cleaning kit that uses this
type of sensor cleaner.

Old March 24th 11, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron

On Mar 23, 10:26 am, Savageduck
wrote:
On 2011-03-23 07:48:31 -0700, JENNY said:

[...]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++
For years I cleaned the sensor in my 10D using Eclips solution and Pek-Pads.
My sensor was clean and I never had a problem. The first time I cleaned the
sensor of my 40D using the same method, I scratched the coating of the
filter over the sensor. Fortunately, the scratch is in a location that
doesn't present a problem unless I wanted to take a picture of nothing but
the sky at F11 to F22.

With stubborn spots you may want to take your camera to a camera store for
cleaning. I have paid as little as $35 and as much as $75 for cleaning the
sensor.

Ron

Old March 25th 11, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Superzooms Still Win[_2_]

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:56:51 -0500, "Ron" wrote:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
For years I cleaned the sensor in my 10D using Eclips solution and Pek-Pads.
My sensor was clean and I never had a problem. The first time I cleaned the
sensor of my 40D using the same method, I scratched the coating of the
filter over the sensor. Fortunately, the scratch is in a location that
doesn't present a problem unless I wanted to take a picture of nothing but
the sky at F11 to F22.

With stubborn spots you may want to take your camera to a camera store for
cleaning. I have paid as little as $35 and as much as $75 for cleaning the
sensor.

Ron

I've never had this problem with any favorite camera. Not even one shot,
let alone weeks of them, have ever been ruined by sensor crud. I've never
had to run all over trying to find someone to clean it for me and then pay
them some outrageous price to do so. I've never had to buy any specialty
cleaning products, nor learn how to use them so as to cause the least
amount of camera damage. Nor have I ever damaged any mirror,
focusing-screen, or sensor's surface while having to clean it. And I've
never lost any shots while taking time to clean it.

I wonder why that is .... hmmm .... sure is befuddling.

Old March 25th 11, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:35:20 -0500, Superzooms Still Win
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:56:51 -0500, "Ron" wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++
[...]

Quite possibly because your shots - like your rare moth - are so
out-of-focus and muddy that you couldn't tell bokeh from dust spots
anyway.

I never had a problem with dust on the sensor when I was using a
camera like yours, but I haven't used an Instamatic for many years.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 25th 11, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:56:51 -0500, "Ron" wrote:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/the-canon-7d/