Battery question - canon 1D mkIV

Old August 13th 10, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
eatmorepies

Default Battery question - canon 1D mkIV

So.

Having bought the 1D mkIV I'm looking at a second battery. Canon original
£125. After market battery £24. How dull is it to buy an after market
battery for this camera?

John

Old August 14th 10, 08:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_16_]

"eatmorepies" wrote in message
So.

Having bought the 1D mkIV I'm looking at a second battery. Canon
original £125. After market battery £24. How dull is it to buy an after
market battery for this camera?

John

Hahnel has been a reliable brand for me, and also purchases from
7dayshop.com. £24 still sounds expensive to me - but I'm usually buying
for Nikon non-PRO cameras.

Cheers,
David

Old August 14th 10, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:25:12 +0100, "David J Taylor"
wrote:
: "eatmorepies" wrote in message
: ...
: So.
:
: Having bought the 1D mkIV I'm looking at a second battery. Canon
: original £125. After market battery £24. How dull is it to buy an after
: market battery for this camera?
:
: John
:
: Hahnel has been a reliable brand for me, and also purchases from
: 7dayshop.com. £24 still sounds expensive to me - but I'm usually buying
: for Nikon non-PRO cameras.

The problem is that Canon batteries have been getting smarter. For example, I
believe the 7D can be told to keep track of all its batteries, tell you when
to charge them and which one to use next, etc. All Canon has to do to make
that functionality unreproducible by a 3rd-party vendor is encrypt the
information provided by the battery. So if the feature matters to you, you may
be stuck.

Bob
Old August 14th 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_16_]

The problem is that Canon batteries have been getting smarter. For
example, I
believe the 7D can be told to keep track of all its batteries, tell you
when
to charge them and which one to use next, etc. All Canon has to do to
make
that functionality unreproducible by a 3rd-party vendor is encrypt the
information provided by the battery. So if the feature matters to you,
you may
be stuck.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Makes for another factor to consider when folk are choosing
between systems.

Cheers,
David

Old August 15th 10, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
N[_5_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message

Alas, I'm pretty sure that not a word of that last paragraph is true. No
laptop that I've ever used would work at all without a battery installed;

Lots do. Retailers display the laptops without batteries installed.

Old August 15th 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Henry Olson

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:59:49 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:40:26 -0500, Henry Olson wrote:
: On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 12:19:32 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
:
:
: (In case you don't already know: Keep your laptop battery out of the laptop
: if working near mains power, whenever possible. This extends its life
: greatly. Each time you plug in a laptop to use it, the battery (if
: installed) is flagged for having used one more of its predefined recharge
: cycles, one less of its allotted life-span.)

Alas, I'm pretty sure that not a word of that last paragraph is true. No
laptop that I've ever used would work at all without a battery installed; all
the AC adapter does is keep tha battery charged while you use it. And laptop
batteries that keep track of when to die do it by counting the number of times
their charge falls below a threshold level, not the number of times the
computer is turned on with a charger present.

Bob

Whereas no laptop that I've ever used won't fail to function with the
battery removed and running off of power-adapter only. We'll just have to
disagree. I got the information direct from a friend of mine who is head of
tech-support for a computer manufacturing company and runs his own computer
service-center on the side. (Name of company(s) withheld to prevent the
guaranteed troll's feeding frenzy of 900+ more useless posts of theirs.)
Old August 15th 10, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-14 17:42:33 -0700, "N" said:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message

Alas, I'm pretty sure that not a word of that last paragraph is true. No
laptop that I've ever used would work at all without a battery installed;

Lots do. Retailers display the laptops without batteries installed.

Drop by an Apple store sometime, and check on the ease of removing a
battery from a Macbook Pro.

Savageduck

Old August 15th 10, 08:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
N[_5_]

On 2010-08-14 17:42:33 -0700, "N" said:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message

Alas, I'm pretty sure that not a word of that last paragraph is true. No
laptop that I've ever used would work at all without a battery
installed;

Lots do. Retailers display the laptops without batteries installed.

Drop by an Apple store sometime, and check on the ease of removing a
battery from a Macbook Pro.

Savageduck

I wouldn't be game to go into an Apple store. I have a neighbour who
constantly brags about how good Apple is and has to have every Apple product
as soon as it's available. To be fair, he's a video editor and uses Final
Cut Pro to earn a living, but I just tire of hearing about his latest and
greatest iPhone, iPad, iThis and iThat.

I earn my living using Windows products, but I don't brag about Microsoft.

The neighbour posted some iPhone 4 pics on Flickr and I couldn't believe how
bad they were, like having stacked polarizers. Royal blue sky and stronger
royal blue harbour water. Admittedly, the harbour water sometimes looks
blue, it's more often a soft greenish blue.

Old August 15th 10, 08:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-14 17:42:33 -0700, "N" said:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message

[...]

Did I say anything about iPhone, iPad, etc.? (I use an Android phone,
and don't own an iPad.)

I thought we were talking laptops and removable batteries. I do own and
use a Macbook Pro, and that does not have a user removable battery.

Savageduck

Old August 15th 10, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
N[_5_]

On 2010-08-14 17:42:33 -0700, "N" said:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message

[...]

I was explaining why I wouldn't go into an Apple store.