Which of your lenses do you use most often? Least?

Old April 14th 10, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner

Default Which of your lenses do you use most often? Least?

Alan Browne wrote:
What three lenses are on your cameras most often?

50mm f/2 Zuiko - A great portrait and low-light lens.
30mm f/1.4 Sigma - Almost as useful as the 50mm and a bit wider.
18-50 f/2.8 Sigma - A pretty decent walking-around lens. Not that I do
much walking-around photography.

What one lens do you use least often?

I have to pick just one? Probably my 500mm f/8 mirror lens. It's
an effective whopping 1000mm on 4/3, but when the hell do I need 1000mm
at f/8? I picked it up because it was cheap, but I think I have
usefully used it exactly once, to shoot a dragon boat race (from the
shore) on a sunny day. It did really come into its element in that
situation.

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me
Old April 14th 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2010-04-13 20:33:49 -0700, Paul Furman said:

Alan Browne wrote:
What three lenses are on your cameras most often?

I can't keep it to three.

Nature closeups (my main thing):
85MM F/2.8 PC Micro Nikkor
125mm f/2.5 Voigtlander APO Macro (honeymoon still)
300mm f/2.8 Tokina AT-X manual (VR Nikkor would be a nice upgrade)
40mm f/2 Voigtlander (used to be 28/2 Ai)
24mm f/3.5 PC-E Nikkor

Landscapes (nature and urban)
12-24mm f/4-5.6 Sigma (full frame)
24mm f/3.5 PC-E Nikkor
20mm f/2.8 AF-D Nikkor
12-24mm f/4-5.6 Sigma (full frame)

Street shooting in day
24mm f/3.5 PC-E Nikkor
20mm f/2.8 AF-D Nikkor
40mm f/2 Voigtlander pancake

Night street shooting and indoor people
35mm f/1.4 Ai Nikkor
50mm f/1.2 Ai Nikkor
40mm f/2 Voigtlander pancake

Stacked closeups
20mm f/2 Olympus Auto-bellows
35mm f/2.8 Canon MP-B
125mm f/2.5 Voigtlander APO Macro (honeymoon still)

Technical studio product shots
85MM F/2.8 PC Micro Nikkor
24mm f/3.5 PC-E Nikkor

What one lens do you use least often?

Too many, but I do have specialty lenses that I actually pull out and
use. Surprisingly the 70-200mm f/2.8 has been on the ignore list for a
couple years now.

Get the new one. Although slightly heavier, it is shorter and a little
easier to handle. Also, sharper edges on FX cameras with much less
vignetting.

You do a lot of different stuff.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old April 14th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Alan Browne wrote:
What three lenses are on your cameras most often?

24-105 ƒ4 L
70-200 ƒ2.8 L
50 ƒ1.4 L

The first two have IS, and I keep the first lens on my 5D,
the second, usually with a 1.4 x, on my 50D, and rarely change.

I don't have any other lenses worth talking about.

--
john mcwilliams
Old April 14th 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_5_]

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:39:58 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

What three lenses are on your cameras most often?

Me:
28-70 f/2.8 General, some portraits
135 f/1.8 General, portraits
100 f/2.8 (macro) Macro, portraits

What one lens do you use least often?

20 f/2.8

Most used:
Nikkor 18-70mm DX
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 IS
Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 IS

Least used is definitely:
Tokina 12-24mm f/4 DX
Old April 14th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 10-04-13 23:33 , Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
What three lenses are on your cameras most often?

I can't keep it to three.

Nature closeups (my main thing):
85MM F/2.8 PC Micro Nikkor
125mm f/2.5 Voigtlander APO Macro (honeymoon still)
300mm f/2.8 Tokina AT-X manual (VR Nikkor would be a nice upgrade)

S N I P

Series-E but have not used it except to test. Same for a 50/1.4 Ai.

Geez Paul, what part of "three" don't you get?

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old April 14th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
What three lenses are on your cameras most often?

Me:
28-70 f/2.8 General, some portraits
135 f/1.8 General, portraits
100 f/2.8 (macro) Macro, portraits

What one lens do you use least often?

20 f/2.8

PS: this is sure to draw out you know who,
so you know what to not do ;-)

Most:
EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS (the only lens that has ever been on my Canon 40D)
EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS (stays on my Canon 10D)

Least:
EF 75-300 IS (hasn't been on a camera since I bought the 100-400)

Ron

Old April 14th 10, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Spanjaard

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:39:58 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

What three lenses are on your cameras most often?

Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM APO

What one lens do you use least often?

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

And the Sigma 8-16mm is on top of my wishlist.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old April 14th 10, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2010-04-14 13:47:46 -0700, Alan Browne

Alan Browne wrote:
What three lenses are on your cameras most often?

I can't keep it to three.

Nature closeups (my main thing):
85MM F/2.8 PC Micro Nikkor
125mm f/2.5 Voigtlander APO Macro (honeymoon still)
300mm f/2.8 Tokina AT-X manual (VR Nikkor would be a nice upgrade)

S N I P

Series-E but have not used it except to test. Same for a 50/1.4 Ai.

Geez Paul, what part of "three" don't you get?

Well, he has 15 fingers.

Old April 14th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2010-04-14 13:47:46 -0700, Alan Browne

Alan Browne wrote:
What three lenses are on your cameras most often?

I can't keep it to three.

Nature closeups (my main thing):
85MM F/2.8 PC Micro Nikkor
125mm f/2.5 Voigtlander APO Macro (honeymoon still)
300mm f/2.8 Tokina AT-X manual (VR Nikkor would be a nice upgrade)

S N I P

Series-E but have not used it except to test. Same for a 50/1.4 Ai.

Geez Paul, what part of "three" don't you get?

Well, he has 15 fingers.

.... but on both hands?!

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old April 15th 10, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 15/04/2010 9:37 a.m., Robert Spanjaard wrote:

And the Sigma 8-16mm is on top of my wishlist.

Has there been a price announced, or any preliminary reviews?
I like my Sigma 10-20, and the more I've used it, the more I find I use
it at the extreme 10mm end, despite sometimes annoying distortion (if I
think about it first, I'll try to set it at about 12mm where distortion
is low).
My 10-20 is pretty rough looking now, result of heavy use, Sigma's not
very good paint finish on EX series lenses, and bashing it in to things
when working close to the subject while looking through the viewfinder.
Optically and mechanically, it's still excellent.
The lack of a filter thread on the 8-16 worries me a bit, but at least
it's not as big and expensive as the 14-24 on Fx, plus it's wider.
I read some comments where people expect it to be expensive, but non EX
grade Sigma lenses are usually inexpensive.