Nikon 18-200mm Lens in Stock for $799

Old July 1st 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
CAGuy

Default Nikon 18-200mm Lens in Stock for $799

Guys...Amazon has in Stock for $799 (Buy from Crutchfield Seller)
Here is the link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000BY52NU

Crutchfield is a factory authorised seller & they are shipping July 5
(Free shipping). And there is no tax at amazon. So this is the best
place to buy as of this day. I am in for one.

Old July 1st 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
babaloo

If you have not handled this lens you may be in for a surprise.
It is quite hefty. Literally a pain in the neck to carry around attached to
a camera hanging from your neck.
Optically the Nikon is not any better than Sigma/Tamron et al, although
image stabilization is, admittedly, its undeniable asset.
For what they are the quality of all these lenses is surprisingly good,
especially at the longer end of the zoom range.
Hence it is the only lens I am taking with me on a trip to Africa (well, a
second camera will have an ultrawide zoom!).
Enjoy your lens.

Old July 1st 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 14:08:41 +1000, Joan wrote:

I don't find the lens heavy and I have small hands.

Well sure. The lens would be harder to hold if you had large
hands, as your muscles would have had to deal with the extra weight
of your larger hands. g

That said, the 18-200mm lens isn't so heavy that it can't be
easily held. But I've sometimes walked for hours holding a small
camera (a Fuji S5100 P&S that resembles a small DSLR) and it was so
light that at times I wasn't even aware of holding it. I think that
if the 18-200mm VR was mounted on the small D40, its weight would be
quite noticeable if it was also carried around for a few hours.

Old July 1st 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

I've had a D50 for about 18 months and now have a D80. Both cameras
are about the same size and weight. With the 18-200 it's just not a
problem.

:

Old July 1st 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:25:09 +1000, Joan wrote:

: That said, the 18-200mm lens isn't so heavy that it can't be
: easily held.

I've had a D50 for about 18 months and now have a D80. Both cameras
are about the same size and weight. With the 18-200 it's just not a
problem.

Agreed. Notice that I already said that? But as I also
indicated, holding a camera for several hours is quite different
than picking one up for short periods to take only a few shots. As
mentioned, I can carry the light S5100 for hours without noticing
its weight, which is only 340g. (0.748 lb.) The D80 and 18-200mm VR
lens (but no battery) weighs 1145g. Do you really think that you
could also lug that body and lens around for several hours without
noticing its weight, which is a little more than 2 1/2 pounds? A
liter bottle of water or Coca Cola weighs less than that. At 340g.
the S5100 weighs about as much as a 12oz. can of Coke.

Old July 1st 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_3_]

ASAAR wrote:
At 340g the S5100 weighs about as much as a 12oz. can of Coke.

Is it an error that DP Review says it's 480g, or is that simply with and
without batteries?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5100/

When you talk about carrying the camera for several hours, is that round
your neck, in a shoulder bag, or what? The weight I carry is of concern
to me as well.

David

Old July 1st 07, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 07:53:37 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

At 340g the S5100 weighs about as much as a 12oz. can of Coke.

Is it an error that DP Review says it's 480g, or is that simply with and
without batteries?

The S5100's manual only provides the weight without batteries, at
340g. I also used the weight without battery for the D80, since
Nikon's manual also gave it that way. I don't know if DPReview used
alkaline or NiMH to get the 140g. for the four AA cells, but they
probably weigh about the same. Hold on, I'll check the data sheets.

Ok, DPReview used NiMH cells to get the weight up to 480g.
According to Energizer's data sheets, NiMH == 30g., alkaline == 23g.
and lithium == 14.5g. So with alkaline batteries the S5100 would
have weighed 432g. and with lithiums, 398g.

BTW, as I've said before, SMS is mistaken when he says that
lithium batteries have much greater energy density by weight and by
volume. I agreed about the weight, but said that NiMH's volume
remained nearly constant but nearly tripled in capacity since the
early NiMH cells. The high capacity NiMH cells are now at least up
to 2,700mAh and Energizer's lithium batteries are rated at 3,000mAh.
I've also noted before that lithiums can last much longer than
alkalines in some cameras, but not much more in others. Unlike the
other types which don't change *too* much at different current
levels, alkalines are very sensitive to current. They're rated from
1,500mAh @ 500ma to 2,500 @ 100ma and 2,900mAh at 50ma.

That's why the little analog radios can last so long using
alkaline AA batteries, since at what I call moderate volume (and
others might call low volume) they can draw less than 15ma from the
batteries. Used this way, lithium batteries wouldn't power the
radios much longer than alkaline batteries are able to. It's also
why it doesn't pay to use lithium 9v batteries in smoke detectors.

Old July 1st 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 07:53:37 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

When you talk about carrying the camera for several hours, is that round
your neck, in a shoulder bag, or what? The weight I carry is of concern
to me as well.

Oops. I posted my last before I noticed this part of your reply.
I don't wear it around my neck or carry it in a shoulder bag. I
hold it in one hand - it has a short strap attached that's slightly
larger than my hand. I occasionally carry it in a small Tamrac
camera bag, but the bag is a very small one, only able to hold the
camera, with a front pocket barely large enough to carry a spare set
of batteries, (usually left home) and a filter in a mesh compartment
in the top lid. And I've tossed the bag's neck strap and carry it
only using the small handle attached to the bag's lid.

Old July 1st 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_3_]

ASAAR wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 07:53:37 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

When you talk about carrying the camera for several hours, is that
round your neck, in a shoulder bag, or what? The weight I carry is
of concern to me as well.

Oops. I posted my last before I noticed this part of your reply.
I don't wear it around my neck or carry it in a shoulder bag. I
hold it in one hand - it has a short strap attached that's slightly
larger than my hand. I occasionally carry it in a small Tamrac
camera bag, but the bag is a very small one, only able to hold the
camera, with a front pocket barely large enough to carry a spare set
of batteries, (usually left home) and a filter in a mesh compartment
in the top lid. And I've tossed the bag's neck strap and carry it
only using the small handle attached to the bag's lid.

Thanks, ASAAR. I normally carry a small camera bag on the shoulder, with
room for two small cameras, spare CF/SD cards, batteries etc.
Hand-holding a DSLR and lens compared to the Fuji would be a significant
difference. Like you, most of my trips are on foot rather than in a car
with brief stops. On geology trips, lunch is carried as well.

Cheers,
David