Flash is too bright

Old December 24th 06, 08:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
louise

Default Flash is too bright

I have a Canon A520 and a Sony DSC H1. When shooting
indoors, both cameras invariably shoot too bright - the
flash is too much for the setting.

The Sony has a setting for lowering the flash but even with
that set, many indoor photos are overexposed he because of
the flash. And this is often true for the Canon as well.

Is there a trick? A way around this? Is there another
setting one could use to compensate somehow?

I have a Nikon film camera with a built in flash and it
never creates this problem. And yet, I've seen several
digitals do so.

Help?

TIA

Louise
Old December 24th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Grumpy AuContraire

louise wrote:

I have a Canon A520 and a Sony DSC H1. When shooting indoors, both
cameras invariably shoot too bright - the flash is too much for the
setting.

The Sony has a setting for lowering the flash but even with that set,
many indoor photos are overexposed he because of the flash. And this is
often true for the Canon as well.

Is there a trick? A way around this? Is there another setting one
could use to compensate somehow?

I have a Nikon film camera with a built in flash and it never creates
this problem. And yet, I've seen several digitals do so.

Help?

TIA

Louise

Part of the problem is that film has far more latitude exposure-wise
than does digital media.

OTOH, I have an old Olympus D-460 (1.3 Megapixle) that does an admirable
job regarding flash (including fill). My Panasonic FZ 10 does an OK job
but not quite as good as the old Olympus.

One thing I would pay close attention too is the ISO settings. Lower
settings seem to work better for me.

JT