print flattening update

Old February 23rd 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default print flattening update

February 23, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

My darkroom is pretty much functional again
after a hiatus.

Yesterday I put my print flattener back into
service. It's the high-tech version -- a
stack of heavy flat things with a weight on
top.

Some of my heavy flat things are sheets of
glass and some are melamine-covered particle
boards of appropriate dimensions (plastic
covered both sides).

Before using my Print Flattener DeLuxe, I had
to clean all the heavy flat things, both
sides. The melamine is white, so dirt would
show. They were surprisingly clean, actually,
even though I've been a bit careless with
them recently. I used some ammonia and
distilled water on clean rags to swab them.

This post is about the tiny things we do that
can contaminate our process. While cleaning
my plastic covered boards, I found some
(mercifully few) tiny black spots. I thought
they would be permanent, but I noticed the
ammonia dissolved them extremely slowly, and
applying a thumbnail broke them up if they
were wet with ammonia.

Well, it didn't take long to figure out the
source of the specks. I sign my prints with
India ink. Obviously I have not been patient
enough to let the ink dry every time I use
it. I'm just glad there were not more black
specks.

It should be no problem to flatten prints
with boards that have dried India ink on
them. Once dry the stuff certainly will not
transfer. But the presence of the specks
gives the flattening devices a dirty look,
and makes examining them for real dirt take
much longer. It also means I have been
careless in handling my prints in the past!
I'm just lucky no smudged prints resulted.
(Hm - none I noticed, at least ...).

So, an unnecessary update. Take more care
(even more care ...) with print finishing. Do
not allow dirt to accumulate on print
flattening devices.

India ink on the glass flat things scraped
off in an instant. (On glass I could use a
razor scraper, but not on the melamine.)
India ink on melamine is tenacious and
tedious.

In the past I've always done print spotting
and signing before flattening. I'm not sure
why, since flat prints would be easier to
spot. Maybe I didn't want to bother
flattening prints I decided not to spot and
sign. But no signed prints under the
flattener would mean no ink transfer ...

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:
net:
www.heylloyd.com
________________________________

Old February 23rd 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

--

Interesting. I use a dry mounting press for flattening.
Flattening is part of the prep for dry mounting but one can
simply flatten the prints. the prints are put into the press
with a sheet of release tissue on the emulsion side and a
couple of sheets of thick "construction" or kraft paper on
either side. The paper is dryed out in the press before
using it. I close the press on the sandwich and leave it for
about 2 minutes, it isn't necessary to lock the press. Then
I put the whole sandwich under a flat weight. While a thick
sheet of Aluminum is best even flat plywood will do. Even
though there is some padding from the paper the weight still
has to be free of particals because they will emboss the
print surface. The print needs only a couple of minutes
under the weight, just long enough to cool.
The idea of the release tissue is to prevent drying of
the emulsion. The paper drys out from the support side which
tends to equalize the shrinkage of support and emulsion.
I've found that prints flattened this way stay flat even
with fairly wide variations in relative humidity.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 24th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Lloyd Erlick wrote:

Some of my heavy flat things are sheets of
glass and some are melamine-covered particle
boards of appropriate dimensions (plastic
covered both sides).
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:
net:
www.heylloyd.com

Heavy, flat, water proof, sheets. Your prints then are
dry prior to flattening? Nothing separates your prints
either side from the weighty sheets? Dan

Old February 24th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Lloyd Erlick wrote:
[...]

FYI: re; India Ink
Pilot has several models of rollerball pens which write on photo paper
and are permanent. At least they are easier than India ink!
gr
Old February 24th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 05:05:36 GMT, gr
wrote:

FYI: re; India Ink
Pilot has several models of rollerball pens which write on photo paper
and are permanent. At least they are easier than India ink!
gr

February 24, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I know, but I'm a loon about stuff on my
prints. India ink is a fairly known object.
It's even dealt with surprisingly extensively
in Wilhelm and Brower (their 1993
conservation epic).

Here is a synopsis of my own unscientific
look at signing in ink (my favorite India ink
is Winsor and Newton 951 Black Indian Ink.)—

---------------------------------------
October 30, 1998, 4:01:34 PM.

Lately I've been trying various India inks on
pieces of photo paper, mostly Ilford MGW
Warmtone FB, and some Portriga.

I've tried:

Koh-I-Noor ( 2 types: 3074F and 3080F),
The prime recommendation of Wilhelm and
Brower is 3074F. They rank it above all
others. Next they like 3080. My bottle of
3074F settled out and became a hard lump in
the container (after a few years …), so I
don’t like this ink. 3080 is not bad, and it
writes fairly smoothly. The point drags a
bit, but less badly than some other inks.

Higgins type 4415 (which happens to be a
20-year-old bottle I've had around),
I considered this the best for some time. It
writes quite smoothly on photo paper, the
line is moderately wide. It suits the 512
point and the C6. Blackness of the result is
very deep, not too glossy a surface to the
line.

Speedball Black India,
Makes quite a bit of resistance as the point
moves over the paper. Also, the line is quite
narrow. Blackness is fine. I don’t like this
ink.

Pelikan drawing ink A ( no. 17),
Not much to say, because the blackness of the
dried line is more of a dark gray compared to
other inks.

Winsor and Newton 951 Black Indian Ink.
My favorite now (Oct 30/98). It produces a
nice width of line in the 512 point, and also
the C6. It flows well and the paper seems to
offer no resistance. The dried ink has a
fairly high, but very attractive, gloss. It
is one of the blackest inks I've tried.
---------------------

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old February 24th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:20:06 GMT, "Pieter
Litchfield" wrote:

I always keep clean white mat between my prints
and weights or dry mount press.

February 24, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

A good idea. I wonder why I never did it? I
think I'll go get some clean mat board.

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old February 24th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:53:00 GMT, "Richard
Knoppow" wrote:

I use a dry mounting press for flattening.
Flattening is part of the prep for dry mounting but one can
simply flatten the prints.

February 24, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Well, a dry mounting press would be quite a
luxury!

Maybe eventually one will present itself for
cheap. Stranger things have happened. I
bought a water distiller for ten dollars, and
it is dribbling into a bucket for me at this
very moment.

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old February 24th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On 23 Feb 2006 15:18:00 -0800,
wrote:

Lloyd Erlick wrote:

Some of my heavy flat things are sheets of
glass and some are melamine-covered particle
boards of appropriate dimensions (plastic
covered both sides).
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:

net:
www.heylloyd.com

Heavy, flat, water proof, sheets. Your prints then are
dry prior to flattening? Nothing separates your prints
either side from the weighty sheets? Dan

February 24, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Yes, my prints are fully dry when I flatten
them.

I've always just placed them bare between the
flat things. Glass and plastic are easy to
keep clean, and as long as everything is dry,
there is a low probability of contamination.
They only stay in there a day or two usually.

I've had no problems with scratching or
anything mechanical. I make sure the surfaces
are perfectly smooth every time I use them.

I think my only advancement over the basic
tech of heavy flat objects squashing paper is
to limit the number of sheets of paper to one
single sheet between any two flat things. I
find the edges flatten best if each
'sandwich' of flat things contains only one
print. Seems easy, but little errors can
creep in unnoticed over time, as I pointed
out in my little 'update'.

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old February 24th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote:

At least they are easier than India ink!

February 24, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I've actually come to enjoy using India ink.

It always used to fill me with anxiety,
because in school I could never control the
stuff. I could only create blobs and smears.

After reading Wilhelm and Brower I decided to
try out India ink, and eventually found I
could use it with ordinary care. I only
rarely destroy a print with ink. I like to
sign on the face of the actual piece of
paper, in the margin, not the mount or back
of the print. I still can't use India ink for
anything but the most rudimentary lettering,
but at least I can do that.

regards,
--le