QUESTION: Neckstrap design for heavy cameras

Old November 7th 07, 07:16 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
BD

Default QUESTION: Neckstrap design for heavy cameras

Hey, all.

I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
2.8L IS lens.

I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup. I've
currently got a 70-200IS, and with the camera and that lens hanging
around my neck I start really feeling it after only a little while.
It's the pressure the strap puts on my neck that kind of adds up after
not too long.

It occurs to me that some kind of little harness setup, with straps
hanging around a person's shoulders instead of around their neck,
might make for an easier way to sling the camera while wandering
around.

I've also heard of folks jamming the tripod hook under their belt, and
hanging the whole setup off their waist.

Curious if anyone else has had any brilliant revelations to keep their
necks from getting strained from carrying that kind of gear around.

Thanks,

BD

Old November 7th 07, 07:48 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Rich[_2_]

Invest in Op/Tech straps

Best money I ever spent
Old November 7th 07, 08:10 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article .com, BD
wrote:

[...]

My 10D with BigED is probably about as heavy. I have Canon's
"professional" strap, but almost never carry the camera around my neck.
It's usually over the right shoulder with the camera behind my arm
(keeps it discrete to avoid thievery). It's convenient to get the
camera up to shooting position and my shoulder is much stronger than my
neck.
Old November 7th 07, 08:27 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart

"BD" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Wimp! I used to carry a KoniOmega Rapid M with potato masher flash for 3-5
hours at weddings! Then I walked home, uphill both ways!

Seriously, for the aforementioned camera, I had a wide strap with a
home-made padded rigging at the neck. I also found it helpful to keep the
strap under my shurt collar-- not much of a fashion statement, but it tended
to keep the weight low, more on my shoulders than neck. I have seen straps
sort of like what you describe-- kind of a backpack harness for in front, or
maybe like the baby carriers in front. For all things photographic and
off-beat, check Porter's Camera Store, located in Cedar Falls, Iowa. They
have a huge catolog, well-illustrated. Their prices are retail, their
service is good.

Old November 7th 07, 09:59 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Ken Hart wrote:

Wimp! I used to carry a KoniOmega Rapid M with potato masher flash for 3-5
hours at weddings! Then I walked home, uphill both ways!

I carried two Hasselblads, lenses, etc. in the aluminum Hasselblad case
along with either a Norman 200B lighting system (with stands and
tripod) or a Photogenic Flashmaster system.

For a while, I dragged around a Pentax 6x7 with several lenses in a
Quest vest along with a tripod.
Old November 7th 07, 10:14 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Fred Lotte

In article
.com,
BD wrote:

[...]

I have a similar setup. Generally, I simply carry the lens, the
camera goes where it goes. The strap is there to hold everything
for short periods when I need both hand free like when I'm
standing still and changing lenses.

If I start backpacking or similar activity I no doubt will have
to come up with a different stratagem. But, for now, just
carrying the lens, with the camera attached, is sufficient.

Someone mentioned carrying with the strap over your shoulder.
I've done that too.

--
Fred Lotte

Old November 7th 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Fred Lotte wrote:
In article
.com,
BD wrote:

[...]

I don't like straps and Carry my Nikon 70-200 by the tripod mount upside
down which is well balanced & comfortable. I have an old MF 300mm f/2.8
beast which has it's own strap on the tripod mount and I must use that
or my wrist aches pretty soon, even though it makes my neck ache too.

Old November 7th 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Lew[_4_]

"Ken Hart" wrote in message ...

"BD" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey, all.

I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
2.8L IS lens.

I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup.

(SNIP)

Wimp! I used to carry a KoniOmega Rapid M with potato masher flash for 3-5
hours at weddings! Then I walked home, uphill both ways!

(SNIP)

How they heck can you go both ways uphil??

Old November 7th 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
BD

On Nov 7, 10:48 am, "Rich" wrote:
Invest in Op/Tech straps

Best money I ever spent

Brilliant.

That bino/cam harness of theirs is just the idea. I bet I could even
make one without too much hassle.

Thanks!

Old November 7th 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Jim

"Lew" wrote in message

big snip
How they heck can you go both ways uphil??

It is a joke...
Jim