Color printing paper

Old October 26th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Default Color printing paper

I'm very much interested in color printing with enlarger and I would
like to ask some questions to experts of this group
1- Which 4x5" films are actually available for color printing?
2- Which color paper is available for color printing using
conventional darkroom enlargers? According my search through US
distributors I only find Fujicolor Cristal and Kodak Supra Endura and
I understand kodak will finish production of it very soon. Is there
any other option?
3- I pretend to buy a reasonable quantity of color paper boxes and
stock it into my fridge but how much time can survive color paper
without degradation into a fridge? What temperature should be the most
adequate?
4- Is there any real risk during air transport to my country due to
possible x-ray inspection?
Greetings
-Francesc

Old October 26th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article . com,
wrote:
I'm very much interested in color printing with enlarger and I would
like to ask some questions to experts of this group

Good god, why? I still do wet darkroom work in black and white, but
color printing with an enlarger offers basically no advantages over
digital printing, requires annoying work with smelly chemicals at
high temperatures, gives inferior sharpness and image permanence, and
has a host of other drawbacks. I would certainly not start doing it now.

1- Which 4x5" films are actually available for color printing?

I asssume you want to know which 4x5 color negative films are still
available? Kodak offers two ISO 160 films, Portra 160NC (a low-
contrast portrait film optimized for skin tones) and 160VC (a "vivid
color" film optimized for, well, let's just say I don't care for it),
as well as one ISO 400 film, Portra 400NC, which has moderate contrast,
good color rendering, good reciprocity characteristics -- it's pretty
much my favorite color negative film I've ever used.

Fuji offers an ISO 160 portrait film, but I don't care for it. When I
did a lot of architectural use I used it from time to time because for
some reason it gives surprisingly printable negatives when exposed
under fluorescent light.

There are many color slide films still available in 4x5 but, ironically,
none of the high-speed ones, which is the only reason I still shoot any
color negative film at all. These days the easiest way to get high
quality color prints is to shoot slide film and scan it. Good options
in 4x5 are Fuji Astia and Provia; if you want eye-popping color you could
try Fuji Velvia or Kodak 100VS.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky
Old October 26th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

" wrote:
4- Is there any real risk during air transport to my country due to
possible x-ray inspection?

Since you did not say from where you are buying the paper and where it
is going, it is not possible to say. However, if you are ordering from
the U.S., then it is likely that the U.S.P.S. will do some sort of
inspection, such as X-Ray's or the new gamma ray scanners which let them
look at an entire cargo container at once.

Obviously, I can't even guess what will happen while it is traveling,
or when it arrives.

FedEx, UPS, and DHL claim they never X-Ray packages, but to be honest, I
would not trust them 100%. It's always better to ask them about shipments
from a particular place to you to make sure and buy the extra insurance,
if it is offered.

Here packages sent via the postal system arrive without import duty
if they are relatively cheap. Anything sent by courier (such as FedEx,
etc) is taxed at the highest rate they can get away with, which includes
the cost of the item, shipping, clearing fees, etc.

YMMV.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old October 30th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

On Oct 26, 5:35 am, (Thor Lancelot Simon) wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
I'm very much interested in color printing with enlarger and I would
like to ask some questions to experts of this group

Good god, why? I still do wet darkroom work in black and white, but
color printing with an enlarger offers basically no advantages over
digital printing, requires annoying work with smelly chemicals at
high temperatures, gives inferior sharpness and image permanence, and
has a host of other drawbacks. I would certainly not start doing it now.

Thank you very much for your advice. After thinking about it I realize
you are right
and i will go to digital. I repeat many thanks¡¡

-Francesc

Old October 30th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Ken Hart

oups.com...

wrote:
I'm very much interested in color printing with enlarger and I would
like to ask some questions to experts of this group

Good god, why? I still do wet darkroom work in black and white, but
color printing with an enlarger offers basically no advantages over
digital printing, requires annoying work with smelly chemicals at
high temperatures, gives inferior sharpness and image permanence, and
has a host of other drawbacks. I would certainly not start doing it now.

Thank you very much for your advice. After thinking about it I realize
you are right
and i will go to digital. I repeat many thanks¡¡

-Francesc

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I enjoy 'wet' darkroom work in color.
But then I have a roller transport processing system that maintains chemical
temperature and replenishment. Such machines are available in all sizes and
configurations, from tabletop to full-fledged minilabs (mine is an old Hope
built in 1984). As for sharpness, that's a function of the lenses used
(camera and enlarger); and for image permanence, Kodak rate their Endura
line of papers at 200 years in the dark or 100 years in the light.

The first thing to remember in color printing is get the density
(light/dark) right, then adjust the color. Never try to make a color
judgement on a priont that is too light or too dark. The second thing to
remember is to write stuff down. Use a "sharpie" brand marker (or similar
waterproof/permanent marker) to write your color filter settings on the test
print. If the second test print looks worse, then you can easily go back to
the earlier settings.

For me, the cost of making one 16"x20" print is about $2.00 (2- 1/4 sheet
test prints and 1 full sheet, plus chems) and the time is about a half hour
(dry-to-dry time is ten minutes, times three prints).

Old October 31st 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Ken,
I can tell you I also enjoyed in the past darkroom color printing but
today its like trying to swim in a river against the main stream¡¡ I
can tell you some of inmediate problems I would have.
-My enlarger is a 6x6 cm but now I want to use 4x5" film This means I
have to buy a second hand enlarger Although I can find very cheap ones
in USA I have to pay more than $350 for transport to my country Spain
+ $500 for enlarger
-In my country it is only available Endura color paper with 85m rolls.
No boxes of Kodak cut papers available nor Fuji. I talked with Kodak
branch in my country
and they suggested their color paper will not be available very soon¡¡
In front of these difficulties comon sense tells me I must go to
digital in spite of my natural tendency¡¡¡

Old November 1st 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article .com,
wrote:

In my country it is only available Endura color paper with 85m rolls.
No boxes of Kodak cut papers available nor Fuji. I talked with Kodak
branch in my country and they suggested their color paper will not be
available very soon

I find this very hard to believe. Many digital printing machines including
those used for high-volume prints from digital originals by large
photofinishers use RA4 color paper as their output medium. I disagree with
Ken about the relative permanence of RA4 versus inkjet prints (I think I'm
hardly the only one skeptical of Kodak's permanence claims for color
materials; Wilhelm became famous for his 1,000 page book on the subject) but
these machines make beautiful prints from both analog and digital originals,
much sharper than can be made by optical enlargement. I think RA4 paper
will be one of the very last silver process photographic products to
disappear.

Single sheets of color paper in boxes, sure. I'm somewhat surprised it's
possible to buy those even now. But you may have been misinformed by
whomever at Kodak you spoke with.

Old November 1st 07, 09:09 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

Single sheets of color paper in boxes, sure. I'm somewhat surprised it's
possible to buy those even now. But you may have been misinformed by
whomever at Kodak you spoke with.

I doubt it. Kodak is not big outside of the U.S. and in Spain their sales
may be low enough not to bother. Almost all of the photofinishers here used
Agfa paper, and I'm sure they have not switched to Kodak.